Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

UK kerbside collection of electrical goods

Still Waters

The UK government is considering nationwide kerbside collection of used electrical appliances and gadgets to help improve the recycling of electronic waste.

Local councils in some areas already collect broken washing machines and toasters in schemes funded by waste collection fees that all retailers selling electrical goods must pay. The government is consulting on the best way to implement such schemes across the country and how to fund them.

In a response to parliament’s environmental audit committee report on e-waste, the government said it was also considering new measures that would increase the obligation for online marketplaces and retailers, such as Amazon, to take back unwanted or broken electrical goods.

The government also said it was considering forcing companies to improve labelling on products to make clear how easy it was to repair an item and whether it contained recyclable parts.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/26/kerbside-scheme-collect-electronic-waste-uk

• Like 5

ouija ouija

My council will take large items of household rubbish away but boy, does it cost you! I'm not surprised people fly tip. Another scheme that suits everyone is badly needed.

• Like 3

ted hughes
On 2/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, ouija ouija said:

My council will take large items of household rubbish away but boy, does it cost you! I'm not surprised people fly tip. Another scheme that suits everyone is badly needed.

I've noticed a number of large items such as white goods and sofas lining the park where I usually walk my dog. TBH, they look as if they have just been heaved over a back garden fence. After a few months the rec staff remove them. I suppose of you have a smallish income, saving even £10 is worth getting a neighbour to help you chuck something into the park.

• Like 2

ouija ouija
39 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

I've noticed a number of large items such as white goods and sofas lining the park where I usually walk my dog. TBH, they look as if they have just been heaved over a back garden fence. After a few months the rec staff remove them. I suppose of you have a smallish income, saving even £10 is worth getting a neighbour to help you chuck something into the park.

£10? I wish it was! £36 more like. :(

• Like 1