Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Invasive species start as sleeper populations

Still Waters

When an invasive species overruns a new ecosystem, it is often assumed that the invader recently arrived at its new home and rapidly took over. But a new report in the journal BioScience finds that many new arrivals aren't nearly as impatient as this narrative implies.

In fact, the study shows, it is not uncommon for "sleeper populations" of nonnative species to spend years or even decades persisting at such low population levels that they go undetected, only making their presence known once their numbers explode.

The finding has important implications for the way we approach invasive species control and management, says Jake Vander Zanden, director of the University of Wisconsin–Madison's Center for Limnology and a co-author of the paper.

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-invasive-species-undetected-sleeper-populations.html

• Like 1

This applies to humans too, doesn't it? :unsure2:

I hope the cold streak in the USA help eliminate some invasive species.   I know pythons have been migrating north.  Cold weather can kill them.   not sure about other invasive species.   I do hope the cold temps in the South give them some relief of the bug populations this spring and summer.