Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Poo Power' to heat thousands of UK homes

Eldorado

Poo could be used to power thousands of homes across Kingston in what would be the "first scheme of its kind" in England.

An application has been made for the "poo power" project to provide clean, green heating to more than 2,000 new homes within Kingston's new Cambridge Road Estate.

However, the scheme could be expanded to include public and commercial buildings within Kingston town centre in the future, too.

Full story at Surrey Live: Link

• Like 4

There are few Brits on this site that could power the whole Island they're so full of it

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 4

I'm a bit sceptical as to it's feasibility. I would be surprised that if it is feasible, it hasn't been tried elsewhere before now. I'm wondering if Kingston Council is taking advantage of a local grant for renewable energy.

4 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I'm a bit sceptical as to it's feasibility. I would be surprised that if it is feasible, it hasn't been tried elsewhere before now. I'm wondering if Kingston Council is taking advantage of a local grant for renewable energy.

Thames Water’s Mogden Sewage Treatment Works has hit a major milestone by generating more than half the electricity it uses from poo and reducing its carbon emissions.

The site near Twickenham Stadium was recently recognised at the 2017 Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Industry Awards for the upgrade of its three combined heat and power (CHP) generators. These produce electricity from biogas emitted when the solid matter filtered out of sewage, known as sludge, is heated and breaks down in a similar way to how food is digested in a human or animal’s stomach.

https://www.edina.eu/news/mogden-sewage-works-running-on-50-percent-poo-power

• Like 1