Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disseminate death, and all it entails.

Hankenhunter

The title says it all. Why as a society are we so fearful of death, that we ban pictures of peaceful passing? Deadly violence is the norm in society, yet we bury the the inevitable aftermath. Why is this the norm. Why can the squeamish dictate what we see, and can't see? How can we teach the children if they can't see the consequences of foolish actions? I doubt there'd be as much warfare if kids got to see the end product of war in all its glory.  Seems to me a no brainer that more info is better than less. After all, it's not like kids haven't been exposed to dead bodies throughout history. Discuss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think that is the point though to make the youth naive so as they can be moulded into shape by the system.  without the system to mould them, how will they system keep everything they streal?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

I think that is the point though to make the youth naive so as they can be moulded into shape by the system.  without the system to mould them, how will they system keep everything they streal?

Possibly. I'm just getting tired of the "won't somebody please think of the children" tripe that keeps being brought up as soon as a picture shows up of a peaceful death. It's counter productive to society as a whole.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Possibly. I'm just getting tired of the "won't somebody please think of the children" tripe that keeps being brought up as soon as a picture shows up of a peaceful death. It's counter productive to society as a whole.

Considering we are killing them with lock down and all the poisons they get, we are worried about what they become? I remember some young lady as a child in the same bed as her grandad whom died that night in their sleep.  Not nice to wake up to your grandad dead, but it happens.  We can't get to obsessed with showing children death, but certainly should never be too afraid if they find out, it's all part of this experience we call 3d existence.  

Personal experience of death was in my 20's working in a hospital and being surrounded by death.   When seeing people with life and then the next day dead, freaks you out but you have to find a way with coping with it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Considering we are killing them with lock down and all the poisons they get, we are worried about what they become? I remember some young lady as a child in the same bed as her grandad whom died that night in their sleep.  Not nice to wake up to your grandad dead, but it happens.  We can't get to obsessed with showing children death, but certainly should never be too afraid if they find out, it's all part of this experience we call 3d existence.  

Personal experience of death was in my 20's working in a hospital and being surrounded by death.   When seeing people with life and then the next day dead, freaks you out but you have to find a way with coping with it. 

My first experience was seeing my brother's best friend at his funeral. He died of Leukemia. I was 10 at the time. It wasn't horrifying, or mortifying, if you will. It was a celebration of his young life. Since then, I've seen death many times without this so called trauma we're being fed.There is no valid reason for not showing a peaceful death.  Violent gory death, yes, but not some old person breathing their last. Hell, I would be okay with recording my own death for educational purposes. Just because some people have a problem with their own mortality doesnt mean the rest of us do. It freaks people out because they've been shielded all there lives. That's not helpful, its counter productive if it causes undue angst later on in life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an unusual example but I thought it fit the topic...

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

The title says it all. Why as a society are we so fearful of death, that we ban pictures of peaceful passing? Deadly violence is the norm in society, yet we bury the the inevitable aftermath. Why is this the norm. Why can the squeamish dictate what we see, and can't see? How can we teach the children if they can't see the consequences of foolish actions? I doubt there'd be as much warfare if kids got to see the end product of war in all its glory.  Seems to me a no brainer that more info is better than less. After all, it's not like kids haven't been exposed to dead bodies throughout history. Discuss.

It's stems from western civilization with its roots in religion. There will always be some fear of death, but it's much more venerated in other cultures. And used to be in western culture, as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for a thoughtful post. I wonder how much responsibility organised religeon should shoulder for this much angst? From what Ive gathered over the years, a lot. Brimfire, and damnation is your reward if you didn't follow their tenets to the full. So here's all these people walking around with this niggling fear in the back of their heads. Was I good enough to pass, or down I go? No wonder there is such fear over death. All the sight of a dead body does in this case us reinforce the fear. Kids dont get taught because of their own parents fear that they are loathe to discuss with them. Just like the sex talk. I guess they'd be happier if they learned from the internet instead, just like sex. 

• Like 3

who was it after his death asked a friend to cut off his head???    Some right pretentious artist.   I have to come back with the name...

5 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

So here's all these people walking around with this niggling fear in the back of their heads.

No doubt religious beliefs share a part in the fear but human beings naturally fear anything they don't understand and death is at the top of the list.

• Like 1

If parents want their children to see dead bodies it's up to them to deal with that, there is no obligation for online forums such as this one to host images of that nature. After all @Hankenhunter we all know this is what your topic is really about.

You've also not taken into account that some adults may not want to see these types of images either. There is such a thing as being considerate towards those who have lost loved ones and who might even still be in mourning.

Most of us have lost loved ones and have witnessed death first hand. Why in the world would anyone want to dwell on that? It serves no purpose unless you have a morbid interest in looking at dead bodies, in which case I suggest you visit a morgue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

After all, it's not like kids haven't been exposed to dead bodies throughout history. Discuss.

I concur with Still Waters.  Discussed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ask Ted Bundy.

There is a reason violence, death, dying, are subject to a rating system in games and on television. Some people go like Ted Bundy as a result.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

If parents want their children to see dead bodies it's up to them to deal with that, there is no obligation for online forums such as this one to host images of that nature. After all @Hankenhunter we all know this is what your topic is really about.

You've also not taken into account that some adults may not want to see these types of images either. There is such a thing as being considerate towards those who have lost loved ones and who might even still be in mourning.

Most of us have lost loved ones and have witnessed death first hand. Why in the world would anyone want to dwell on that? It serves no purpose unless you have a morbid interest in looking at dead bodies, in which case I suggest you visit a morgue.

Your fear is showing. That's  the problem. Adults are not dealing with it. Go to a morgue? I did just that a week ago when my brother died. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Death should be a topic that children are taught properly, so they dont fear it for the rest of their lives. Thank you for your elucidating comment. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joc said:

I concur with Still Waters.  Discussed.

That was awsome. How long did you cogitate before you came up with this brilliant post? Thank you anyway.

7 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Ask Ted Bundy.

There is a reason violence, death, dying, are subject to a rating system in games and on television. Some people go like Ted Bundy as a result.

The topic is not murder, nor did I say it was. I did, however state that gory pictures are not acceptable to be shown. The topic is fear of death, not murderers. There will always be outliers who prey on people. Sure seeing a lot of disgust, and fear. Why?

The amount of fear being shown is indicative of an ongoing problem. Would you like a respectful death with people dropping in to see you off? Or would you rather the wailing, and crying that seems to be the norm? It should be a celebration of a life well lived. Until we start treating death as a natural part of life, the cycle will continue. Is this what everyone wants? Not I, nor my children will be subjected to this pain, or fear. It's totally unreasonable, and avoidable. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

Retired priest: ‘Hell’ was invented by the church to control people with fear

This is why you fear death. This, and only this. There is no Hell, or damnation, just release from a tired worn out body.
  • Like 1

Thought exercise. What's the difference between burying a beloved pet, and a human being? Why would their be a difference? Children are allowed to see dead animals, but not people? Yet the same amount of love or more in many cases, is bestowed on these creatures. Why the dichotomy?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Ask Ted Bundy.

Ted bundy wasent a psychopath because of tv and videogames dude :rofl: lol.

That's such a boomer comment. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Ask Ted Bundy.

Yep. There were no sadists before we had TVs and video games! Game of Thrones and Grand Theft Auto turned Ted into a right psycho!

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Thought exercise. What's the difference between burying a beloved pet, and a human being? Why would their be a difference? Children are allowed to see dead animals, but not people? Yet the same amount of love or more in many cases, is bestowed on these creatures. Why the dichotomy?

My kids have seen our relatives dead and went to their funerals, we are quiet/respectful at the funeral but then it's party time to celebrate the dead person's life. They are well balanced kids who don't carry on at the drop of a hat. Kids are more accepting than most adults imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Retired priest: ‘Hell’ was invented by the church to control people with fear

This is why you fear death. This, and only this. There is no Hell, or damnation, just release from a tired worn out body.

I always wondered why religious people fear death so much, seeing they believe they are going to heaven. I forgot they were all sinners, lol :devil:.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Still Waters said:

If parents want their children to see dead bodies it's up to them to deal with that, there is no obligation for online forums such as this one to host images of that nature.

I saw my first dead body when I was 8 years old.  In the south most folks had a wake the night before burial so friends and relatives could gather, pay respects, and comfort one another.  It was my grandfather and I wasn't panicked nor did I have bad dreams.  Publicizing such images isn't the same.  In fact, it coarsens the experience and serves no value that I can see.  I certainly wouldn't hang out at sites which treated this issue casually.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I saw my first dead body when I was 8 years old.  In the south most folks had a wake the night before burial so friends and relatives could gather, pay respects, and comfort one another.  It was my grandfather and I wasn't panicked nor did I have bad dreams.  Publicizing such images isn't the same.  In fact, it coarsens the experience and serves no value that I can see.  I certainly wouldn't hang out at sites which treated this issue casually.  

I'm not talking about casual. It's a teaching moment, and a movement. As I stated, I would have no problem taping my death if it helps others see that I'm not afraid, and can die with dignity, and peace. That includes my spirit leaving my body if it can be captured. I'm not a sicko who gets kicks from seeing bodies, but there's nothing wrong with seeing the death process if the dying person wishes it shown. There are a few on You Tube that are respectful, compassionate, and loving. With written permission from the deceased to be used for educational purposes. The one where a son sings Amazing Grace to his dying father til he passes to be very poignant, and incredibly touching. Now that's how I want to go. In fact, I think I will make that as a last request from my son. He sings wonderfully. With love, not fearful sadness, or worse avoidance by loved ones because of their fear.

Your own words say you were not adversely affected. Perhaps if people went to You Tube, and watched the vid I described, they might think different. It was beautiful to watch. Especially when his soul left his body. That alone would give people some comfort about the dying process. At the very least, it would make the care givers jobs a lot easier. I bet UM's own angel care giver would agree with this lady part.

Edited by Hankenhunter
Forgot to preview
  • Like 1