Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A tribute To Life ;-)

LightAngel

3 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I posted this as a blog, but I actually think it's better suited as a topic. 

A quote from the old veteran, "It's good to have a spiritual life, but you got to live it" - I couldn't agree more, that's what I been doing since I was born into this life. :lol: 

He was 109 when they filmed this (he lived to be 112). His secret to a long life - 4 cups of coffee, whiskey, ice cream, and 12 cigars a day. :D

Wonderful story. I think this is a tribute to life, freedom, and love. 

So share your thoughts about what you think is a fulfilled life.

Even if it gives you great pleasure and fulfillment to pull Santa's beard once a year. :lol:

My thoughts are...the last sentence of the video...that...is the secret.  Not just to a long life...but to a successful life. :) Thanks for sharing!:wub:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LightAngel said:

He was 109 when they filmed this (he lived to be 112). His secret to a long life - 4 cups of coffee, whiskey, ice cream, and 12 cigars a day. :D

I like the video.

Just want to point out his secret to long life is actually genetics. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I like the video.

Telomeres just wanted to share this.

I've seen that video before.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I like the video.

Turns out that genetics has little to do with it....

And the OP video was nice, I can totally relate to his way of thinking..

And yet, it was his state of mind, his beliefs, lived, that gave him peace and gratitude..

The power of the mind is an incredible thing, and "you" have one as a constant companion... Woop Woop!!

29 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And yet, it was his state of mind, his beliefs, lived, that gave him peace and gratitude..

The power of the mind is an incredible thing, and "you" have one as a constant companion... Woop Woop!!

You have any studies to back up that assessment ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The power of the mind is an incredible thing,

Indeed.

I personally think it's both the power of the mind and genetics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Telomeres just wanted to share this.

I've seen that video before.

Yeah lifestyle choices have an effect too. I was just pointing out when we see people like OP being 110 and saying they smoke all the time it isn't the smoke helping them they just had good genetics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You have any studies to back up that assessment ?

What assessment?

That the mind is a powerful thing?

If you disagree with the video and Dr Lipton, then fine, tell me why, don't hide behind other peoples studies, try and think and work things out for yourself.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Indeed.

I personally think it's both the power of the mind and genetics.

Sure, but its your perceptions and beliefs, your attitude, and your actions that are the main driving force..

The placebo effect is very good evidence of this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

What assessment?

That the mind is a powerful thing?

If you disagree with the video and Dr Lipton, then fine, tell me why, don't hide behind other peoples studies, try and think and work things out for yourself.

Specifically about this

Turns out that genetics has little to do with it....

But if you're going to be weird and defensive about it then nevermind lol

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah lifestyle choices have an effect too. I was just pointing out when we see people like OP being 110 and saying they smoke all the time it isn't the smoke helping them they just had good genetics.

Maybe the smoking works the same as making beef jerky. Like tanning leather.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe the smoking works the same as making beef jerky. Like tanning leather.

I   laughed when  he said that he didn't inhale and then blew smoke out of his nose.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Right :tu:

My buddy john ( rip ) chain smoked was a semi functional alcoholic and died in his 40s and his lifestyle helped him die not to live, but in his mind he was "living".

My club partners sister chain smoked and died of lung cancer, same with my dads brother, oh yeah and mr Limbaugh who just died of stage 4 lung cancer loved his stogies,

John when asked about smoking would reply 100% of smokers die...and 100% of non smokers die.

The only "old" smokers i see are guys like the cat this thread is about, it seems many who get to the 100 mark do tend to live as they desire, its uplifting for the viewer not too many videos of 100yos in nursing homes with tubes and wires running in and out of them dying some long agonizing death.

We each roll the dice and choose a path in life what we do effects the journey as does outlook and genetics,  i see a cat like in this video as a person who rolled the bones and didnt crap out.

i dont have a lucky face i tend to avoid killers its not from fear but rather what is to me commen sense, opinions vary and i do have a lot of graves to visit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Sure, but its your perceptions and beliefs, your attitude, and your actions that are the main driving force..

Yes, mind-over-matter works. How far can the power of the mind really go? What do you think?

I have some ideas, but I think they are a little too abstract for this topic because my ideas are about living in different life-forms and the different abilities that we may possess within them. :)

14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Specifically about this

But if you're going to be weird and defensive about it then nevermind lol

Apologies..

I was in a very strange mood yesterday.

Stuff happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Yes, mind-over-matter works. How far can the power of the mind really go? What do you think?

I have some ideas, but I think they are a little too abstract for this topic because my ideas are about living in different life-forms and the different abilities that we may possess within them. :)

Well I believe we are held within the Mind of GOD, and therefore mind/Mind takes precedence over matter..

And I believe there are ways to know, to connect consciously, to attain the attributes of Mind.

At which point...anything is possible, so long as one can imagine it!!

For me, life, consciousness and our souls are eternal, and so life in different life forms is not only possible, but highly likely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I didn't have time to watch the video yesterday.

I watched it this morning instead, and I'm glad I did. I have similar thoughts, so the video makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you for sharing! :tu: 

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well I believe we are held within the Mind of GOD, and therefore mind/Mind takes precedence over matter..

And I believe there are ways to know, to connect consciously, to attain the attributes of Mind.

At which point...anything is possible, so long as one can imagine it!!

For me, life, consciousness and our souls are eternal, and so life in different life forms is not only possible, but highly likely.

I also believe that our souls are eternal.

That was the biggest reason why I signed up to become a member of unexplained-mysteries - I wanted to discuss that mystery. :)

• Like 1

ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTS

d The mechanisms of extreme long life appear to be multifactorial and can be accomplished by disparate combinations of genes, environment, resiliency, and chance that vary with culture and geography.

d Characteristics of aging are heterogeneous, even among long lived individuals.

d Associations between specific clinical or genetic biomarkers exist, but there is unlikely to be a single biomarker predictive of long life.

d Careful observations in the oldest old offer some empirical strategies that favor increased health span and life span, including eating in moderation, regular exercise, purposeful living, and strong social support systems.

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(18)30792-4/pdf

11 hours ago, LightAngel said:

I didn't have time to watch the video yesterday.

I watched it this morning instead, and I'm glad I did. I have similar thoughts, so the video makes a lot of sense to me.

Thank you for sharing! :tu: 

II also believe that our souls are eternal.

That was the biggest reason why I signed up to become a member of unexplained-mysteries - I wanted to discuss that mystery. :)

I am glad you liked the video, it is a very empowering message..

Life is a mystery, and a rollercoaster at times.

But I honestly feel that the Truth (whatever THAT actually is) can be known to anyone who desires it enough.

And being here on UM has been extremely helpful in the sense of understanding my-self.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, Crazy Horse said:

I am glad you liked the video, it is a very empowering message..

Life is a mystery, and a rollercoaster at times.

But I honestly feel that the Truth (whatever THAT actually is) can be known to anyone who desires it enough.

And being here on UM has been extremely helpful in the sense of understanding my-self.

What did you learn about yourself by posting on UM that you couldn't learn even better in real life?

I'm not putting you down here - I'm just curious because I think real life can teach us more about reality than a forum can ever do. ;)

@LightAngel this is a beautiful story and beautiful sentiment.

My thoughts on a fulfilled life: 

Would you feel fulfilled if it ended today?

I’ve done things I regret, and I’ve done things I might do differently if I had another chance.

But I feel like I’ve had a more positive impact than negative, and plan to continue that trend.

And I have and still do enjoy life currently. So if this continues, I’m sure that I’ll feel fulfilled.

Hopefully death won’t happen for a long while yet, but if it does sooner rather than later, I’m at least content.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

@LightAngel this is a beautiful story and beautiful sentiment.

My thoughts on a fulfilled life: 

Would you feel fulfilled if it ended today?

I’ve done things I regret, and I’ve done things I might do differently if I had another chance.

But I feel like I’ve had a more positive impact than negative, and plan to continue that trend.

And I have and still do enjoy life currently. So if this continues, I’m sure that I’ll feel fulfilled.

Hopefully death won’t happen for a long while yet, but if it does sooner rather than later, I’m at least content.

You take responsibility for your own life.

I'm happy for you! :tu:

• Like 1