Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Invasive stink bug arrival confirmed in UK

Still Waters

It is brown, stinky and will strike fear into the hearts of apple and other fruit growers.

Scientists have now confirmed that the brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys), a small flying insect that emits an unpleasant almond-like odour, has arrived in Britain, after most probably hitching a ride on packaging crates.

The insect, which looks similar to native shield bugs, is considered a pest in the US and in its south-east Asian home because it creates brown marks on fruit and vegetables from apples to cucumbers that make them less aesthetically pleasing for buyers and reduce their value.

The invasive stink bug will also worry Britain’s burgeoning wine industry because if significant numbers move into bunches of grapes their smell – a defence mechanism – can contaminate the delicate flavours of a wine.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/01/uk-scientists-confirm-arrival-of-brown-marmorated-stink-bugs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Invasive stink bug arrival confirmed in UK

There are times in SC when everything is just covered in them. They'll even start sneaking into your house. And 'almond like'? Uhh... Not any almond I've ever smelled lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Smells like cilantro to me.

Damn...no wonder I never liked cilantro ;)   You're right, though.  Never made that connection.

I never thought of what they smelled similar to, only that their odor was acrid and pungent. They'd get into the house sometimes and the cat's curiosity, after a few encounters, seemed pretty much sated.

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

only that their odor was acrid and pungent.

The closest thing I can think of is an old sweaty shoe. Maybe a dried gym sock.

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

only that their odor was acrid and pungent.

It burns my nose for sure. If you kill them fast it's not too bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The closest thing I can think of is an old sweaty shoe. Maybe a dried gym sock.

They smell much the same as native bombardier beetles I encountered as a child, though not as strongly.

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It burns my nose for sure. If you kill them fast it's not too bad.

We're not supposed to eat them....my bad....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

We're not supposed to eat them....my bad....

No way are they getting that close to my nose. I can almost smell them just talking about them.:P

• Haha 1

Fortunately, here in the States, a main predator of the species in Japan, a wasp, being vetted for introduction as a biological control, managed to introduce itself, instead and is being lab-bred to augment the wild populations.

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

No way are they getting that close to my nose. I can almost smell them just talking about them.:P

They're h-e-e-e-re!:w00t:

• Haha 1