Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wormwood Comet just hit us

Holyspirit

6 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

How can you be so focused on the End Times and yet seem so ill-read in what the Bible says about them?

All the horrible things in the Revelation of John are sent by god, or by some celestial entities (i.e. the undead Jesus-lamb, angels, eye-covered monsters) on god's behalf. It's basically a book about god and the forces of heaven slaughtering and torturing millions.

How can anybody call the god idea presented in Revelations is a good guy? He's a freaking, capricious eldritch horror who massacres and maims people for not believing in him, or silly things, like sleeping around (in the letters that precede the main part of the text he talks about how he will strike dead the children of "Jezebel" because she's tempting her congregation into "sexual immorality" Which in this context could mean anything from sex outside marriage, to tolerance of same-sex relationships) 

Though, of course...on a global scale the number of Christians who see Revelations as a factual Prophecy are in the minority. Though even most of them still have the problem of believing in eternal damnation/destruction in a cosmology where it doesn't make a lick of sense.

I can't help thinking that The New Testament would have been a much better book if they left out Revelation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I can't help thinking that The New Testament would have been a much better book if they left out Revelation.

I mean we'd unfortunately still have Paul and the crap like the "Abomination of Devastation" prophecy (which in itself is a reference to the time the Jewish temple was converted into a sanctuary to Jupiter, inserted after the fact), but yeah, it would at least been better. 

• Like 4

On 3/2/2021 at 5:55 AM, Orphalesion said:

All the horrible things in the Revelation of John are sent by god, or by some celestial entities (i.e. the undead Jesus-lamb, angels, eye-covered monsters) on god's behalf. It's basically a book about god and the forces of heaven slaughtering and torturing millions.

Did you know that when Moses initiated the Passover he did it so the Isrealites would have a substitute for ritualistically slaughtering their first born?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

Did you know that when Moses initiated the Passover he did it so the Isrealites would have a substitute for ritualistically slaughtering their first born?

First you'd have to prove to me that Moses ever existed ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:42 AM, Occupational Hubris said:

It would be in keeping with the rest of the book using stars to refer to various kings and leaders. 

Possible better interpretation for modem times could be meaning simply 'from space'. Some toxic space junk de-orbiting perhaps or an attack of some kind.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:42 AM, XenoFish said:

I find it interesting that it's never a positive, only a negative when it comes to bible prophecy.

Matthew 24, 8 describes all these sorrows as birth pangs. As if something better will emerge. It's the idea behind my avatar and location. Optimism!  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AZDZ said:

Matthew 24, 8 describes all these sorrows as birth pangs. As if something better will emerge. It's the idea behind my avatar and location. Optimism!  

There is no reason to be optimistic in this world.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, Tom O'Neil said:

Although the Comet which was very small that just hit Alberta on February 25, 2021 that is just the reason.

Your story is invalid because a fragment of a comet isnt a comet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

First you'd have to prove to me that Moses ever existed ;)

Are you the first born? 

6 hours ago, AZDZ said:

Possible better interpretation for modem times could be meaning simply 'from space'. Some toxic space junk de-orbiting perhaps or an attack of some kind.

Excpet it's wrong to interpret it for modern times because it wasn't written in or about modern times. It was written near the end of the 1st century for readers near the end of the 1st century. 

• Like 3

The 7 trumpets that signal the end can be read as the Solar System moving into an icy patch of the galaxy, ice chunks raining down on the Earth with a huge one wiping out a third of mankind.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Will Do said:

Are you the first born? 

No. I've just read and learned enough to know that there is no evidence for Exodus ever happening. 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, Will Do said:

Did you know that any Bar-Rabbi will tell you Moses never existed and the only first born they slaughtered was a goat? 

• Like 6

There is no end times, according to the Bible, without a Jewish temple in Jerusalem offering animal sacrifices. How this fact is not known, or so frequently overlooked is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Guyver said:

There is no end times, according to the Bible, without a Jewish temple in Jerusalem offering animal sacrifices. How this fact is not known, or so frequently overlooked is beyond me.

That's actually why so many Free Churches and Evangelicals in the US are so interested in Israel. They hope that with enough help Israel can rebuild the temple, restart the sacrifices and ring in the End Times. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

That's actually why so many Free Churches and Evangelicals in the US are so interested in Israel. They hope that with enough help Israel can rebuild the temple, restart the sacrifices and ring in the End Times. 

Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/4/2021 at 12:13 AM, Cookie Monster said:

The 7 trumpets that signal the end can be read as the Solar System moving into an icy patch of the galaxy, ice chunks raining down on the Earth with a huge one wiping out a third of mankind.

I think a few of my brain cells died from reading this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh?

The even more disturbing part is that they have no real interest in the well-being of the people of Israel. They just want to use them as tools to create the right scenario for their End Times and then fully expect them to be destroyed during the Apocalypse and suffer the "Second Death" at the Final Judgment because they haven't accepted Jesus as their messiah.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:13 AM, XenoFish said:

So it really appears that they want greater and greater suffering just so they can be taken to a new heaven/earth. 

That's an opinion that many non-Christians hold.  The truth is that those who are trying to live a life that mimics His, do not enjoy the idea of the suffering that will come.  They just know, from scripture, what things they'll see during that time.  IOW, wars and the ravages that accompany them WILL occur.  Christ does not make them happen, He merely tells those who want to follow him that such horrors will be a part of the "last days".  Because we are to take His words as law, we know the kinds of things that will be happening as that day approaches.

The destination of our souls is not based on how many people agree with us.  We are NOT responsible for the suffering of an unrepentant sinner.

"We know now, in the early years of the twenty-first century, this world was being watched, closely, by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

That's an opinion that many non-Christians hold.  The truth is that those who are trying to live a life that mimics His, do not enjoy the idea of the suffering that will come.  They just know, from scripture, what things they'll see during that time.  IOW, wars and the ravages that accompany them WILL occur.  Christ does not make them happen, He merely tells those who want to follow him that such horrors will be a part of the "last days".  Because we are to take His words as law, we know the kinds of things that will be happening as that day approaches.

The destination of our souls is not based on how many people agree with us.  We are NOT responsible for the suffering of an unrepentant sinner.

The 'last days' have been going on before Jesus supposedly lived, and still going after he supposedly died. If the bible Jesus even existed. 

• Like 3

On Tuesday and it didn't even make the internet?

"A great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water—the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.”

Yeah, no, pretty sure someone would have noticed. 

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

You are right, this is what it says. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

Christ does not make them happen

No, god makes them happen, at least in Revelations.

We are NOT responsible for the suffering of an unrepentant sinner.

But you do worship the god idea that doles out all the punishments and horrors in Revelations (well he would do so, if  Revelations wasn't just a political allegory) and tell him how right he is in doing so and praise him.
And again, don't think that I don't believe in anything. I do believe in things. I also don't hate Christianity as a whole. I just don't believe in that particular interpretation of the Abrahamic god or, if he existed, would find him worthy of any worship. If the god of Revelations, or the god of the Old Testament was the real deal...well then we would truly live in one of the darkest of possible universes.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

The 'last days' have been going on before Jesus supposedly lived, and still going after he supposedly died. If the bible Jesus even existed. 

32Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35

Matthew 24:34

The End Times happened before the Apostles died. We just missed the boat. :unsure2:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Yes, that term applies to the time Christ was here and from that point forward.  Much of what's written in the Apocalypse (Book of Revelation) has been occurring down through the millennia.  That includes the ever-present rejection by those who can't believe or won't believe in the reality of a Creator.  I'm no scholar but it seems to me that these scriptures cast a shadow image of the nature of humanity in all ages.  False leaders, war, famine, disease, death, those horsemen have been riding since humans first gathered together.

I think the difference that sets this age apart is the appearance of nearly every one of the signs at the same time.  

Having secular types look down the nose at me for my belief in God, doesn't offend me. (that isn't a jab aimed at you) There was a time when it did.  In fact, being here at UM helped me let that kind of anger go.  I've had discussions with Atheists and though many of them seem to have a chip on their shoulder, a lot of them seem to just be searching for meaning just like everyone else.  

The only issue I still have some resentment over is when non-believers keep dropping the libel that Christians, because we desire a return of Christ to rule and reign, must look forward to the horrors that will be occurring in the world just before He returns.  I'm not sure why it's so difficult to grasp our belief that the evils in this world are all generated by human beings doing the selfish things humans DO.  We've done a bang-up job in creating and nurturing evil against each other. 

Some see the predictions of horrific death and suffering and point to Christians as being happy that it's occurring.  They can't or won't grasp the concept that the joy comes from knowing that these horrors that WILL come, also WILL end when He returns.  And the last enemy to be defeated, is death.