Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

stuff stolen from yard

the13bats

Not sure where this fits, im posting mostly to placate my OCD and feeling down from this occurrence so a boring vent session.

Some back story, We have lived here close to 5 years corner lot and the rest of the block is a hugh church, we have never had any issues with anyone, im careless with tools and decorations and nothings been touched but that changed over the past weekend.

The place has a large wrap around L shaped porch and i have little things out to decorate, and the stuff taken is an odd lot, so far its 3 antique iron pagoda tea lite holders, a clay gourd that had various crystals in it, a zombie flamingo, in floriduh people would stick plastic flamingos in their yard this one was black and painted to look zombie for fun.

Then a cheap resin cross that represented my mothers memorial to me, there were 3 crosses total the other 2 are dad and mom but only the one on photo right was stolen.

20200717_204103_copy_249x142.jpg.2f82a66d5960ecae8fc2c95b4f4b0293.jpg

Whats a bit odd they had to go on the the porch to see and nab some of the other stuff and they left things behind like weed eaters and fog machines, it seemed like they took stuff they wanted as it only had value to me and they left stuff of value.

I snoop around and in the bushes next to the porch was a very neat bedroll tied with old faded ribbon and torn bandana, i kicked the bedroll out by the street and a few hours later afterdark it was gone.

I started thinking about it, a few months back a homeless tweaker type was out by out carriage house with his junk cart he hadnt taken anything of ours besides raiding our trash, he had some bs-ish story about just cutting thru our yard to get to the house behind the church where he claimed to live with the preacher, i told him that he sure looked like he was casing out my stuff and i asked him not to cut thru my yard,

Then ironically a few days later one egg had been tossed at the house, i figured it was that cat but i didnt go further, when i saw stuff missing and find a bedroll i thought of that guy, buy likely not him.

I have a timer light on the porch that plugged into the far end of the porch and recalled several weeks back my light wasnt coming on when it should i just thought the timer was messing up but now i just bet whoever had that bedroll in the bushes was using that outlet, they would unplug the timer which screwed it up.

Its very odd some would call what was stolen junk and how the hell did someone camp out in our bushes and porch and we were clueless, and they must of came around and grabbed the bedroll as i doubt anyone it didnt belong to would touch it, the whole thing is very odd and really kicked me down wondering what will they steal next.

No, i dont have cameras but working on it, i dont want some cheap one giving me some useless blobsquatch image of the person.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Well that sucks. 
We had a couple of (full) gas cans and a battery charger stolen from our garage one. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Not sure where this fits, im posting mostly to placate my OCD and feeling down from this occurrence so a boring vent session.

Some back story, We have lived here close to 5 years corner lot and the rest of the block is a hugh church, we have never had any issues with anyone, im careless with tools and decorations and nothings been touched but that changed over the past weekend.

The place has a large wrap around L shaped porch and i have little things out to decorate, and the stuff taken is an odd lot, so far its 3 antique iron pagoda tea lite holders, a clay gourd that had various crystals in it, a zombie flamingo, in floriduh people would stick plastic flamingos in their yard this one was black and painted to look zombie for fun.

Then a cheap resin cross that represented my mothers memorial to me, there were 3 crosses total the other 2 are dad and mom but only the one on photo right was stolen.

Whats a bit odd they had to go on the the porch to see and nab some of the other stuff and they left things behind like weed eaters and fog machines, it seemed like they took stuff they wanted as it only had value to me and they left stuff of value.

I snoop around and in the bushes next to the porch was a very neat bedroll tied with old faded ribbon and torn bandana, i kicked the bedroll out by the street and a few hours later afterdark it was gone.

I started thinking about it, a few months back a homeless tweaker type was out by out carriage house with his junk cart he hadnt taken anything of ours besides raiding our trash, he had some bs-ish story about just cutting thru our yard to get to the house behind the church where he claimed to live with the preacher, i told him that he sure looked like he was casing out my stuff and i asked him not to cut thru my yard,

Then ironically a few days later one egg had been tossed at the house, i figured it was that cat but i didnt go further, when i saw stuff missing and find a bedroll i thought of that guy, buy likely not him.

I have a timer light on the porch that plugged into the far end of the porch and recalled several weeks back my light wasnt coming on when it should i just thought the timer was messing up but now i just bet whoever had that bedroll in the bushes was using that outlet, they would unplug the timer which screwed it up.

Its very odd some would call what was stolen junk and how the hell did someone camp out in our bushes and porch and we were clueless, and they must of came around and grabbed the bedroll as i doubt anyone it didnt belong to would touch it, the whole thing is very odd and really kicked me down wondering what will they steal next.

No, i dont have cameras but working on it, i dont want some cheap one giving me some useless blobsquatch image of the person.

The situation with the guy possibly living in your bushes is creepy man. I would be much more concerned about that than the items taken. But, on the bright side you and your wife were not harmed physically in anyway. As far as the missing items, I would call the police and give them a report, along with your suspicion that someone may have been living in your bushes. Outside of that, I would pay much more attention to your property in general, and I would stop leaving things out unless that's your only choice.

Very sorry to hear about this, I am certain it has some far reaching effects for you. But, if you can let it go and be more careful, don't know what else to say my friend.

Take Care 

• Like 4

Thanks,  heres more, i like to decorate my yard like the pic above, i go nuts on halloween and espected kids to grab souvenirs yet after 4 halloweens with lots of folks coming by not one thing went missing.

a lot of folks have statues and other yard art so of course ill stop leaving things that would appeal to someone wanting to flip junk for $$$ however its hard for me to think i have to go barren outside

When we moved in 3 cats lived here on the porch not tame the neighbor lady who happens to be in local gov does that trap fix and release thing and feeds these guys we do too as we have indoor cats, the lady and her bf come every evening to feed these guys, thats been going on almost 5 years now and the outside cats were acting different the last week or so.

She has about 15 cats in her yard but thats a another story, she told me yesterday she saw the bedroll a week or 2 back and tried to text us about it, this is over on that side of the house and yeah i thought too im not paying enough attention but i wasnt as mia as it makes me sound.

Besides missing stuff that as i said doesnt have some big resale value and the bedroll no one would have known we had a happy camper, also we keep very erratic hours and the cat lady also came after dark so the camper could have been busted at any moment but wasnt.

I found it down right unnerving that hours after i put that bedroll on the curb they got it,

So what other clues do i have ? there is some method to the madness of what they took and didnt take and if we assume camper took it then they have a place they put it, weird.

Im going to grab a trail cam and install a lot more lights, across the street the church parking lot police like to park i guess doing paperwork or waiting for calls im going to alert them but i feel like a report is a waste of time

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I found it down right unnerving that hours after i put that bedroll on the curb they got it,

If it was happening to me, I'd report it to police and make sure you get a copy.  If there IS some homeless person who has gotten used to living next to your house, maybe the cops can find him a better place with less potential risk for you and your loved ones.  IF it's a homeless guy and he's taking trinkets or ornaments that can't readily be sold or pawned then I'd wonder about his mental state, too.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, and then said:

If it was happening to me, I'd report it to police and make sure you get a copy.  If there IS some homeless person who has gotten used to living next to your house, maybe the cops can find him a better place with less potential risk for you and your loved ones.  IF it's a homeless guy and he's taking trinkets or ornaments that can't readily be sold or pawned then I'd wonder about his mental state, too.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, its really odd and a lot of speculation on what "he" was doing, i wasnt "living" here but i believe it was part of his "game trail" route he takes, he would stop and chill out charge his phone etc, i put that bedroll on the curb a few hours later its gone it had to be the owner no one else would touch it.

the bedroll was odd too,

It was 2 small blankets one wrapped around the other, but neither would be enough to cover up with and it was tied with a ribbon and tirn up bandana and solid knot so my guess was it was being used more as a pillow.

When i talk to the cop ill get his opinion on making out a report your reply did make me consider that this may be his habit and he does it house to house,

in daylight hours its fairly busy the street gets lots of traffic as does the church on the otherside no one could get away with lurking around here too many neighbors know what look like and get involved,

Ah, my trinkets and junk, just sentimental value nothing a pawn shop would want, he passed by stuff he could have flipped so while his mental state is off from what we do know it seems he wanted the items he took but where the heck does a homeless loon keep this junk?

The pic i posted shows the resin crosses he only took one and not the big one the one he took was the size of the one on the left i found it odd he only grabbed one.

I believe that is my key to solving this my OCD demands it lol, i know he might have gotten spooked and moved on but the junk he took went somewhere and someone has seen it.

Okay as i typed i was grinding on your reply ill do a report this is a tiny town the cops may know who he is.

I hate thieves, I hope you catch him bats. The egg thrown at your house was me after one of our online disagreements, lol.

Edited by openozy
  • Haha 4

I would definitely report it. Not wanting to alarm you, but if things escalate, either with your property or someone else's, it would be good for the police to have some history of events, to be aware that there is someone who is possibly/probably mentally unstable operating in the neighbourhood. This is doubly useful if you live in a small town. Who knows, the police may stumble across your possessions and know where to return them. :) 

• Like 2

Had my lawnmower stolen two years in a row, along with chainsaws and other equipment. My fault for leaving them out. Some theft is odd, though. Several years ago, someone broke into my car at work. Stupidly, I had both cash and valuables readily accessible if they wanted it. My car door was left slightly ajar, other things strewn about the car, nothing was stolen and nothing of value was touched...even the glove box was open exposing cash and other things

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

You said you are next door to a church.  I suspect some church people were upset with your decorations, zombie flamingo, crystals, pagodas, and one specific cross.   I think you have been "attacked" by church people.  What kind of church do you live next door to?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, openozy said:

I hate thieves, I hope you catch him bats. The egg thrown at your house was me after one of our online disagreements, lol.

I thought that was an emu egg....

• Haha 1

Just looking at that pic, I wonder if some of those things could have been mistaken for religious symbols? Like maybe Jewish or Christian? There's a lot of hate going around these days, just saying...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Just looking at that pic, I wonder if some of those things could have been mistaken for religious symbols? Like maybe Jewish or Christian? There's a lot of hate going around these days, just saying...

I know from experience that some christians hate crystals and any symbols they don't understand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I know from experience that some christians hate crystals and any symbols they don't understand.

I definitely saw that when I was growing up. Anything like that, Crystals, Dragons, stuff like that were all of the devil. These days, I don't see that too much, much more likely to see people attack religion, especially Jewish. That pretty much happens every day now somewhere in the country. 

• Like 1

Hey Bat, you should set up some video cams outside and catch the perp. Put some other similar stuff outside to bait them.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

You said you are next door to a church.  I suspect some church people were upset with your decorations, zombie flamingo, crystals, pagodas, and one specific cross.   I think you have been "attacked" by church people.  What kind of church do you live next door to?

The church is a hugh Presbyterian and they had problems with the lady we bought the place from, she made claims that their thursday soup kitchen was the source of the mutant rats which attacked her at night and she also claimed that people from the church hung out in her yard she tried to sue them to put up a fence, we saw no evidence of her claims.

When we moved in a lot of people including the church were pleased we were no relation to the seller.

The boyfriend of the lady who feeds cats is big in the church shes the city commissioner who hired me for the block party so as far as the church goes i thing its clean on this, but the perpetrator very well might eat there on thursdays.

Here is a picture of the other side of the front steps,

20200813_114710_copy_334x412.jpg.5f856c177666b3aad67a25f5424d1902.jpg

That little iron pagoda and one like it that was on an iron hanger are missing, the crystals were in a small clay planter on the porch where they could only be seen from being on the porch, the cross is in the other pic and the zombie flamingo wasnt nasty and neighbors claimed they found it funny.

Nothing taken is worth more than a buck or two, i do understand your thinking and i two get the vibe there is a thinking behind what was taken and what was left.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Hey Bat, you should set up some video cams outside and catch the perp. Put some other similar stuff outside to bait them.  

You would think i would have that already but yeah, im working on it, thing is what was taken and what was left i wouldnt have a clue what to use for "bait"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

2 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I definitely saw that when I was growing up. Anything like that, Crystals, Dragons, stuff like that were all of the devil. These days, I don't see that too much, much more likely to see people attack religion, especially Jewish. That pretty much happens every day now somewhere in the country. 

2 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I missed these replies, hum, i dont know what people think that would be their business and problem, i like religious artifacts, i collect them.

see that Mary statue, that was given to me around 1996 back when i lived in orlando it was decor from a goth club i did a show at, it was painted very differently bloody etc i repainted it as you see it and repaint it every year or two, shes standing on a snake, its very heavy.

Back in orlandoh i had a lady inform me i was sacrilegious for painting her dress drape black that it should be baby blue, i told her i painted it to look like a nuns habit and she gave me more lecture.

Ive met some pretty loony new agers who subscribe all kinds of magic powers to crystals and who knows some might have a basis in fact like how crushing quartz gives a spark, however i never met any of those folks who would condone stealing crystals it would kill the good vibrations,

Where they stole one of Mary's crosses up on that porch railing was a nice brass cross untouched.

I grabbed another odd clue today, i grow aloe and they broke off an aloe leaf and left it on a table on the porch its hot here and it would have dried up quickly, it looked about 2 days plucked.

I still think tje person grabbed stuff they liked but i dont think they are radical in any beliefs just the feel i get so far.

Tonight there is a harmless boobytrap if they go on my porch i will know it as will my closest neighbors,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I missed these replies, hum, i dont know what people think that would be their business and problem, i like religious artifacts, i collect them.

Yeah, I get it, and that is absolutely your right and your business. Unfortunately, there is a lot of hate out there these days. 

I think it's more likely kids doing it. Still, you should report it and try to catch them. Too many crazies these days. Stay safe. 

• Like 1

Hope you can get the stolen items back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Yeah, I get it, and that is absolutely your right and your business. Unfortunately, there is a lot of hate out there these days. 

I think it's more likely kids doing it. Still, you should report it and try to catch them. Too many crazies these days. Stay safe. 

I didnt mean my reply snide, i meant if a person doesnt like my decor F um,

The neighbor said kids i dont think so because i lost zero on halloween,

There is stuff i think kids would have taken it was down right odd what wasnt taken.

There is a lot of hate but this doesnt seem to be angry fueled to me and like "and them" was saying the person stealing and camping in my bushes is a loon.

Im waiting for the cop who parks are the church to show up and see what he thinks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I didnt mean my reply snide, i meant if a person doesnt like my decor F um,

The neighbor said kids i dont think so because i lost zero on halloween,

There is stuff i think kids would have taken it was down right odd what wasnt taken.

There is a lot of hate but this doesnt seem to be angry fueled to me and like "and them" was saying the person stealing and camping in my bushes is a loon.

Im waiting for the cop who parks are the church to show up and see what he thinks.

Taking to the Police is the best way to handle this situation, the value of the property isn't the point to consider. The major issue is the guy that was sleeping in your bushes, he needs to be made to move on. By contacting the police they may drive through the area more often, that alone will make the guy move to a different location.

Take Care