Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wartime painting by Sir Winston Churchill

Still Waters

A wartime painting by Sir Winston Churchill has sold for £8,285,000 at auction.

The landscape, titled Tower Of The Koutoubia Mosque, is thought to be the only painting the former prime minister did as he led the country through the Second World War.

The 1943 work was sold by the actress Angelina Jolie on Monday at Christie’s auction house, which said the price is a new record for a painting by the late politician.

It was gifted by Sir Winston, who was a keen painter, to then US president Franklin D Roosevelt, as a memento of the men’s visit there following the Casablanca Conference of 1943, according to Christie’s.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-01/wartime-painting-by-sir-winston-churchill-sells-for-more-than-8-million

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I downloaded the ibis paint app last week,and i must say my first attempt at landscape was better than churchills.

I'm not gonna say it's not worth 8m coz I'm hoping to get angie jollie to buy mine for 10m.

• Haha 3

Some people have more money than sense. Wish I had £8 million. I wouldn't be buying THAT with it!!

• Like 3

Sheesh.

Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace, but it belonged to the Duke of Marlboro, his uncle.  He never owned it, though he lived there somewhat as a child.  Later in life he owned a beautiful but smallish brick country house called Chequers.  His mother was an American heiress, Jenny Jerome, a famous beauty; his father was Lord Randolph Churchill, a powerful politician.  Winston was known to have had terrible bouts of depression, and so took up painting landscapes as therapy for it.  He painted only this one picture during WWII, resuming it afterward and continuing to do so for the rest of his life.  His skill was mediocre, but the paintings were competent and pleasant.  Mostly, they are mementos of his extensive travels.

This painting has commanded such a large sum because of its provenance and history.  Also, the fact that it was singularly created during the war gives it additional gloss.  Otherwise the painting would not be worth much at all, if it were only judged by its merits.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Who brought it?

Angelina Jolie brought it. Not sure who purchased it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Angelina Jolie was the seller.

Here's another link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56250654

He did some beautiful paintings. I didn't know he was so artistic either. Painting is a wonderful hobby for reflection and relaxation if you have the ability. Churchill did have the talent. Thanks for posting this Still Waters.

• Like 2

I can see why its valuable due to its history.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Wistman said:

Sheesh.

Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace, but it belonged to the Duke of Marlboro, his uncle.  He never owned it, though he lived there somewhat as a child.  Later in life he owned a beautiful but smallish brick country house called Chequers.  His mother was an American heiress, Jenny Jerome, a famous beauty; his father was Lord Randolph Churchill, a powerful politician.  Winston was known to have had terrible bouts of depression, and so took up painting landscapes as therapy for it.  He painted only this one picture during WWII, resuming it afterward and continuing to do so for the rest of his life.  His skill was mediocre, but the paintings were competent and pleasant.  Mostly, they are mementos of his extensive travels.

This painting has commanded such a large sum because of its provenance and history.  Also, the fact that it was singularly created during the war gives it additional gloss.  Otherwise the painting would not be worth much at all, if it were only judged by its merits.

His cousin, the 9th Duke of Marlborough, would marry Consuelo Vanderbilt, another American heiress, who she would later divorce. Her portrait still hangs in Blenheim Palace. The current Duke is a decendent of hers. She and Winston would remain very close friends up until her death in the 1960s. It's believed that Churchill completed his famous Iron Curtain speech while visiting her home in Florida. She is actually buried next to her son, the 10th Duke of Marlborough, in the family plot right next to the Churchills', where Winston is. 

Her book, The Glitter And The Gold, tells an incredible story of an amazing woman.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

I thought Churchill was cancelled because he was racist.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dreamer screamer said:

He wasn't racist, he was a Zionist;)  

A quick Google search brought up lots of stuff about him being racist.

I don't fault him because times were different, but it hasn't really stopped the cancel culture.

Sorry, back on topic.   I've read three articles on this and cannot find who bought it.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

A quick Google search brought up lots of stuff about him being racist.

I don't fault him because times were different, but it hasn't really stopped the cancel culture.

Sorry, back on topic.   I've read three articles on this and cannot find who bought it.  

Churchill a complicated man and he would have been the first to admit that. For example he freely admitted to suffer from severe depression. Anyway that can't change the fact that he was the right man at the right place in 1940.

• Like 3