Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space hotel could open its doors in 2027

UM-Bot

2027 ? pipe dream... maybe later but clearly not in 2027.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3

I have no doubt this will be out of my price range, but if I had the money I'd love to stay in it for a week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

2027 ? pipe dream... maybe later but clearly not in 2027.

Based on what exactly?

Given that SpaceX's Starship should be operational well before 2027 the cost of delivering payloads to orbit should be considerably reduced, making such a plan feasible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, moonman said:

You're going to have to sign some serious waivers to stay there. Space isn't safe by any stretch.

Neither is flying through the air at 600 mph.

• Thanks 2

Why am I thinking of the film elysium?     I guess it will be eventually for the rich to live on while the poor toil and sweat for them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Space hotel could open its doors in 2027.

Probably not a good idea in the vacuum of space. :o :lol: 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Neither is flying through the air at 600 mph.

Especially not in an aluminum sardine can with wings. Well, I mean it's perfectly safe as long as it stays in the air. 

2 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Based on what exactly?

Given that SpaceX's Starship should be operational well before 2027 the cost of delivering payloads to orbit should be considerably reduced, making such a plan feasible. 

I would venture the funding initially of course. How much does it cost to create, construct, staff and operate the ISS, to include maintenance? A commercial business of the scale proposed would likely make those costs much higher if we are fiddling with the same technology and such. The logistics piece would also have to be figured out. Now this likely being a civilian led endeavor, this process might be streamlined but who knows. For it to be up and operational six years? I'm not certain even unlimited funding could make that happen that fast.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Based on what exactly?

Just training the staff, writing procedures, building the infrastructure to support it, would push the date far off.. not saying that's impossible to do it with the technology we have, just saying that doing all that for 2027 is a pipe dream. Just looking at the Virgin galactic program schedule from 15 years ago give us a glimpse that space dreams take time.

• Like 1

My thoughts on this...How?  Look at the problems we are facing already, and now they're saying this hotel in space?     My thoughts are something is going to appear and so they're preparing people for it.  They will claim 6 years to build a hotel in space when in reality this is impossible, but 6 years time one will appear.   

By 2027????? No way.

That's only 6-years from now!

Pffttt...

Nothing of the project is in orbit at this time, and they are still soliciting multi-billion dollar investments (which hasn't happened)

Enough upkeep with the ISS, can't imagine the issues with a space hotel...

I'll say another 50-years, at least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trelane said:

How much does it cost to create, construct, staff and operate the ISS, to include maintenance? A commercial business of the scale proposed would likely make those costs much higher if we are fiddling with the same technology and such.

A comparsion of both projects dont make sense here. The difference between both stations is that the ISS is mosty financed by tax money and with a low income (yet) by spin-off earnings. The (high) cost of the ISS operation is also caused by the value of the scientific experiment hardware and, the orbital logistic which was done by the Shuttles with launch costs up to 1B USD in the past (I know that value from first hand because I worked for 4 years as a sub-contactor for ESA related ISS projects here in Germany) and later then by the Russians which is/was quite expensive.

The Gateway Project is a commercial one so there will be financial income and based on the forcasted demand enough investors might join the party. I think the Voyager Class Space Station has a chance for profit and that the station size will depend on the level of investment.

5 hours ago, toast said:

A comparsion of both projects dont make sense here. The difference between both stations is that the ISS is mosty financed by tax money and with a low income (yet) by spin-off earnings. The (high) cost of the ISS operation is also caused by the value of the scientific experiment hardware and, the orbital logistic which was done by the Shuttles with launch costs up to 1B USD in the past (I know that value from first hand because I worked for 4 years as a sub-contactor for ESA related ISS projects here in Germany) and later then by the Russians which is/was quite expensive.

The Gateway Project is a commercial one so there will be financial income and based on the forcasted demand enough investors might join the party. I think the Voyager Class Space Station has a chance for profit and that the station size will depend on the level of investment.

I think using the ISS costs as a point of reference is certainly useful. I'm not talking exclusively about the line of accounting. The cost will likely be more for a larger project. For example, I have no idea what the cost is for one launch in the commercial sector? I have no idea. The number of launches required just to get the construction materials into orbit will be what drives the timelines. Is it possible to construct, staff and operate a project like this? Yes, it certainly is possible. To be mission ready within the next six years? No, I don't think it's likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

I think using the ISS costs as a point of reference is certainly useful. I'm not talking exclusively about the line of accounting. The cost will likely be more for a larger project. For example, I have no idea what the cost is for one launch in the commercial sector? I have no idea.

Here some usefull information about the costs of orbital logistics.

The number of launches required just to get the construction materials into orbit will be what drives the timelines.

I dont know the number of required launches either but there is one important factor: the ISS habitat and experiment modules required a large cargo bay (Space Shuttle) because they were lifted up in a ready to use fashion. I`m not sure yet if I`m correct but I think the Voyager Station modules will be build by Bigelow Aerospace so these units can lifted up folded, like an airless air mattress, and blown up when arrived in orbit.

Is it possible to construct, staff and operate a project like this?

I think so. The construction isnt an issue and staff will also not be an issue because the requirements are not such stricty because these people do not have to perform scientific work duties, like ESA/NASA etc astronauts. If the needed amount of money will be available, 2027 seems quite realistic to me.

• Thanks 1