Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
L.A.T.1961

The Budget 2021

stevewinn

A budget to be expected. A good starting point going forward. No doubt like most budgets there will be 'winners' and 'losers' I was looking forward to seeing a reduction in corporate tax, but it's been increased. Now twice that of Ireland for example. Ive long advocated lowering Corp tax as a weapon to wield against the EU. But, because the EU is doing so badly and we're doing so well, it's been put away for another day. 

• Like 1

and then
12 hours ago, stevewinn said:

A budget to be expected. A good starting point going forward. No doubt like most budgets there will be 'winners' and 'losers' I was looking forward to seeing a reduction in corporate tax, but it's been increased. Now twice that of Ireland for example. Ive long advocated lowering Corp tax as a weapon to wield against the EU. But, because the EU is doing so badly and we're doing so well, it's been put away for another day. 

I wouldn't be too concerned.  With the Democrats and Republicans literally creating TRILLIONS in new debt annually, the global economy is on its way down.  I'll be amazed if we don't experience a crash and reset this year.

RAyMO

The budget was presented almost as a spend now - pay later event at government level. But its a bad budget in medium / long term economic growth and for disposable incomes of lower and middle income earners - which will directly reduce purchasing power and thus will reduce demand. As @Cookie Monsterhas said elsewhere on these boards now was the time to invest heavily in building economic infrastructure. Lending will not stay as cheap as it is now. 

Taxes will increase for every taxpayer over the next 3 years

Wages rises will drop below inflation

austerity is back with 5billion of unspecified cuts over the next 3 years. Unspecified meaning that the amount to be cut from non-covid government costs has been identified but not where the cuts will fall.

Corporation Tax to be hiked. already business owners in the NI and I suspect in other parts of the UK are looking at the possibility of moving to the ROI for the cheaper corporation tax.  

The Covid measures / funding were good in the Budget - the overall management of the economy for businesses, people, and public service not so good.