Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon opens first 'till-less' grocery store

Still Waters

Amazon has opened its first contactless grocery store in the UK today where shoppers can pick up their goods and leave without having to visit a till.

The Amazon Fresh store in Ealing, west London, is only available to those signed up to Amazon’s Prime subscription service, and customers must scan in a code on their phone to gain entry.

Once inside, shoppers can pick up the goods they want without scanning them or visiting a till as motion sensors, cameras and other technology monitor the goods chosen. The bill is automatically charged to shoppers’ Prime account when they leave the store.

While customers won’t need to interact with a member of staff, Amazon says workers will be on site to handle queries, restock shelves and prepare food.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/mar/04/amazon-fresh-opens-first-till-less-grocery-store-in-uk

• Like 1

This bums me out, but I see the growing trend and it seems inevitable, eventually.

My Grandfather ran a small grocery store throughout the Depression and into the 40's.  My Mum was a cashier after she left my Father.  She retired on a modest pension and brightened the day of countless people who came through her line while buying their groceries.

I never use the self checkout option because of this, and won't until that's all that's left me.  I love connecting with folks and always think of Mom while checking out.  I also recall what it meant to her, how much impact it could have on her day, when a loving, happy person came through her line and so I always strive to be that person for the folks I encounter in any retail setting.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

My Grandfather ran a small grocery store throughout the Depression and into the 40's.  My Mum was a cashier after she left my Father.  She retired on a modest pension and brightened the day of countless people who came through her line while buying their groceries.

Well I'll stop you there lol.

Grocery store workers sure don't get pensions anymore. 

• Confused 1

Yeah my first reaction is that Amazon is getting way to big to a point that it kinda frightens me and makes me think of these Sci-Fi movies you see sometimes showing these huge big corporations that basically rule the world and your entire life but you just don't realize it yet :no:

• Like 1