Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats are too socially inept to be loyal

Eldorado

In the cat world, there's a saying that you should keep your humans' friends close and your humans' enemies … just as close. That's the takeaway of a new study that shows that cats, unlike dogs, will gladly accept food from people who are not nice to their owners.

While dog lovers may rejoice at the chance for another study suggesting dogs are more loyal than cats, the conclusion is not that simple. It might not be that cats are disloyal; rather, they may be too socially clueless to understand when someone is not being nice to their owners, according to the new study, which was published in the February issue of the journal Animal Behavior and Cognition.

Full monty at Live Science: Link

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Dogs are simply the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

In the cat world, there's a saying that you should keep your humans' friends close and your humans' enemies … just as close. That's the takeaway of a new study that shows that cats, unlike dogs, will gladly accept food from people who are not nice to their owners.

While dog lovers may rejoice at the chance for another study suggesting dogs are more loyal than cats, the conclusion is not that simple. It might not be that cats are disloyal; rather, they may be too socially clueless to understand when someone is not being nice to their owners, according to the new study, which was published in the February issue of the journal Animal Behavior and Cognition.

A very weird way to anthropomorphize cats.   How silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I think maybe the 'studiers' need to adjust their cognition?   Who the heck is the someone not being nice to their owner!? :huh:

Oooooooops ....Ok, I finally understand  :lol:    I guess my cognition needed an adjustment!   

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 2

I have a Manx/Norwegian forest cat cross.  She is the most loyal, loving cat ever.  She attacked a dog who got too close to me in our yard, she will not take food from just anyone, and kisses both me and my daughter.   I believe how you interact with your pet has a lot to do with how it interacts with you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Cats are cats. Dogs are livestock and pets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

Cats hate us.

No they don't; they're quite easy to befriend--especially when very young. They're just nowhere near as domesticated as dogs. Under stress, they quickly revert to type as primal predators. They're just like the big cats, only little.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No they don't; they're quite easy to befriend--especially when very young.

I said Cats, not Kittens.

3 minutes ago, acute said:

I said Cats, not Kittens.

That's like saying I said puppies not dogs. Both can be befriended--but I'd rather take on a feral cat than a feral dog. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'd rather take on a feral cat than a feral dog. 

I can agree with that one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, acute said:

I can agree with that one.

Yeah. Who'd want to take own a feral Chihuahua? 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Who'd want to take own a feral Chihuahua?

Those things are evil!

Why on earth would anybody want one?

Just now, acute said:

Those things are evil!

Beats me. Mesoamericans raised them to eat. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Mesoamericans raised them to eat.

The tradition of eating chihuahuas should be resurrected immediately.

:yes:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

EIYEECHIWAWA !   YUK.      and, Wouldn't it take about 10 of them to make a sandwich?     !

...my wife just said: " dogs have owners, cats have staff "   I've had two cats (who LOVED me completely ..   Juniper...17 years  and Sena 18 years.     

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

I am a dog person but I do also had a few cats throughout the years and as far as I remember they were pretty loyal as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's like saying I said puppies not dogs. Both can be befriended--but I'd rather take on a feral cat than a feral dog. 

My mate got 40 stitches when he cornered a not very big feral cat in his chook pen.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

My mate got 40 stitches when he cornered a not very big feral cat in his chook pen.

Obviously, he wasn't a cat person. Freak a feral cat out and corner it and will behave just like a big cat and go for the jugular. It's a wild animal and doesn't know we're the lords of creation.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

Those things are evil!

I've got three, two pitbull crosses, two whippets and a jack russell plus three cats. The chihuahuas are the most loyal, toughest and still healthy in their late teens. They can be an evil breed if spoilt and pampered. Mine are fearless and will attack snakes or anything that threatens me, top dogs. My cats are also protective of the family and hate strangers.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ted hughes said:

Cats aren't loyal?

That cat is a brutal territorial warmaster ! The dog just stole his prey !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Haha 2