Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burqa ban in Switzerland

Silver

Switzerland will follow France, Belgium and Austria after narrowly voting in a referendum to ban women from wearing the burqa or niqab in public spaces.

Just over 51% of Swiss voters cast their ballots in favour of the initiative to ban people from covering their face completely on the street, in shops and restaurants.

Full facial veils will still be allowed to be worn inside places of prayer and for “native customs”, such as carnival.

Face coverings worn for health and safety reasons are also exempt from the ban, meaning face masks worn because of the Covid-19 pandemic will not be affected by the new law.

Switzerland to ban wearing of burqa and niqab in public places | Switzerland | The Guardian

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Worth noting

Supporters of the ban argue that it also intended to stop violent street protesters and football hooligans wearing masks, and that the referendum text does not explicitly mention Islam or the words “niqab” or “burqa”.

Alot of places have been banning full face coverings over the year due to crime and active shooters. The religious wear falls under that thought.

I am not sure where I stand on this issue though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Same here.

I can see both sides of the argument.

• Like 2

I don't see how this can be even considered let alone passed in any nation that values freedom of religion and expression. For me, you would have to show how others are harmed by someone wearing a burqa. 

I must be missing something????

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't see how this can be even considered let alone passed in any nation that values freedom of religion and expression. For me, you would have to show how others are harmed by someone wearing a burqa. 

It's a ban on all total face covers. The logic is full face coverings help criminals hide. 

Some states in the US did that after a mass shooting. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's a ban on all total face covers. The logic is full face coverings help criminals hide. 

Some states in the US did that after a mass shooting. 

I'm not so sure about that. That did not seem to be one of the main arguments put forward in the article. I did read about concern for 'repression of women' in the article too. I mean how does Switzerland suddenly have a problem with masked criminals that would cause them to take away the freedom of dress and religion. And a terrorist will still wear a mask when doing terror.

Edited by papageorge1

It's because women tempt men, and men can't control themselves if the woman shows skin.  So, women must cover up or it is their fault if they get assaulted.  :blink:  so, yes, it is oppressive to women.  

PS, not ALL men, but those who believe in and enforce the burqa

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Let me help you out.  It's called....Freedom  of   Religion.  Ain't it great to have our Constitution?  Why don't they just ban Muslims?  

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Let me help you out.  It's called....Freedom  of   Religion.  Ain't it great to have our Constitution?  Why don't they just ban Muslims?  

It's more of a question of if religions should get an exemption to total face mask laws or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I mean the article definitely has a slant.

I was just going off the one blurb about those who support the law.

Supporters of the ban argue that it also intended to stop violent street protesters and football hooligans wearing masks, and that the referendum text does not explicitly mention Islam or the words “niqab” or “burqa”.

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's more of a question of if religions should get an exemption to total face mask laws or not. 

There are no mask laws.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

There are no mask laws.

You lost me. That's what the law is. It's a total face covering mask law.

Just now, spartan max2 said:

You lost me. That's what the law is. It's a total face covering mask law.

Please site the legislation.

Just now, joc said:

Please site the legislation.

What lol. I've just quoted the article. 

If that's not acceptable to you you can look up Switzerland legislation and quote it :lol:. Ain't got time for that.

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

What lol. I've just quoted the article. 

If that's not acceptable to you you can look up Switzerland legislation and quote it :lol:. Ain't got time for that.

oh I thought we were talking about US laws...my bad

• Haha 1

Just now, joc said:

oh I thought we were talking about US laws...my bad

No harm no foul

• Thanks 1