Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Positive Thinking is Overrated

XenoFish

10 minutes ago, joc said:

Physical issues...pfffft...tell it to the late great Stephen Hawking!  

He did make things happen that he desired to happen he also had care givers, hawking no matter how great his desire wasnt able to even dress himself, so he had someone do it for him,  thats him relying on others to make it happen.

desire doesnt replace talent,  ive seen people my dead buddy john was one have all the desire in the world to do something,  he wanted to be a professional photographer but no matter how hard he tried his work was mediocre at best and didnt score him a career in the field.

We could save 100s and spend a sucky day replacing your heater core or hire it done, thats coming from a cat who rebuilt his car ground up body off chassis,  my wifes car a kia soul i would avoid working on.

27 minutes ago, joc said:

I don't want any systems.  So...I focus on goals.  Like...How am I going to cut back the the ground this mountain of very dead from below zero temperature Saw Grass.  My solution was simple...I tied a nylon string to the top and wrapped and wrapped and wrapped...then got down on my knees with a good old fashioned long blade wood saw and went around sawing until it was done.  Then I wrapped it in a tarp and dragged it to the burn pile.

I am also fully for personal achievements.  

So what's the problem? You've got your way of doing this and I have mine, others have there.

• Like 1

I like systems. The goal might be the start but the end results is never exact. Someone who has never worked out might want to bench press 300 pounds. They can't go to the gym and do it. They need a system of training that builds up their strength. One set of pushups 3 days per week for say 4 weeks, then adding a set till 4 sets can be done. Then start benching whatever weight they can comfortably handle. After years of training they might actually reach such a goal. Not I. I can't bench to save my life, but pulling, I can pull some weight. The way I see it (and this is just me) a good system makes the goal unimportant as it will possibly results in the achievement. I just can't power through something like that. 

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So what's the problem? You've got your way of doing this and I have mine, others have there.

There is no problem.  It's a matter only of what we each individually desire.  I don't like systems...I really don't know why, I think it's because I get lost in them.  I have a hard time driving and talking...I always wind up just meandering around never getting to my destination.  

I wasn't saying systems are wrong or that you are wrong or anyone else is wrong.  We are all different.  You said what works best for you are systems not goals...and I was just saying what works best for me are goals not systems.  

But I know what you are saying and I agree about systems.  It's just, the way my brain is wired, I have to focus on a thing.  But then again...maybe I'm confused...because...hmmm....

Okay...October 2012  I was really busy with work and I was going to Taekwondo 5 times a week and Master Reid said in class, Are you going to be ready to test for Black Belt in December?  And I said, Yes sir.  And he said...I don't know, Dano.   And I said, I have a plan!  And he said, Let me see it.  And I said well, it's in my head...and he said..If it isn't written down it isn't a plan!

So, I thought about how I had zero time to practice.  And I decided, the only way I can practice for an hour a day on my own is to  get up at 3:30am.  So, I created  a plan...15 minutes to drink coffee.  15 minutes to get dressed.  10 minutes of exercising and stretching.  25 minutes working on one thing.  25 working on something else.  It was really hard.  But it worked out...I practiced the things I needed to work on and got  my Black Belt in December.

So, that was kind of a system right?  I mean the goal was to improve in certain areas in order to pass my test.  But I created a system in order to do that.  So, I think I see what you're talking about.  :hmm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

He did make things happen that he desired to happen he also had care givers, hawking no matter how great his desire wasnt able to even dress himself, so he had someone do it for him,  thats him relying on others to make it happen.

Thank you!

desire doesnt replace talent,  ive seen people my dead buddy john was one have all the desire in the world to do something,  he wanted to be a professional photographer but no matter how hard he tried his work was mediocre at best and didnt score him a career in the field.

Practice makes talent.  Desire focused, along with persistence and determination can greatly affect Talent.  I play guitar...electric guitar.  And I have 3 acoustic guitars, but I never learned how to pick with all my fingers.  So, in September last year...I was watching this Justin Johnson video on how to pick with your fingers and he showed what to do and then said, practice this hundreds of times, thousands of times.  So I did.  Every single morning I get up around 5ish ...grab a cup of coffee and sit down in my lazy boy chair and after I drink my coffee I work on picking for an hour or so.  Then I go to work.  And, I have greatly improved...which is to say, I can pick with all my fingers...now, after I've been doing that for 6 years, instead of 6 months...I will probably be pretty pleased.  But the muscle memory comes about from repetition.  Plus I've got some major calluses on the tips of all four fingers on my right hand.

We could save 100s and spend a sucky day replacing your heater core or hire it done, thats coming from a cat who rebuilt his car ground up body off chassis,  my wifes car a kia soul i would avoid working on.

Ha!  Yeah, but see...you are talking to a guy who has no desire to be a mechanic!   I changed the oil in my truck last year.  But before I changed my oil...I changed my transmission fluid...because I thought I was changing the oil!  I'm also the guy that takes a pair of channel locks back to my truck to get a screw driver and leaves the channel locks on the truck...then walks back to the truck to get the channel locks and forgets why I  even walked back to the truck!  See, without a very positive attitude..I'd be on the streets man!  I'm serious.

• Like 1

What part of the country are you in?

My thing is older cars, a 2k is going to have a lot of brittle plastic in the dash it will break its just not a fun job taking it apart, worse heater core i ever changed was my moms PT Looser, not just dash but steering column had to come out,

Here in fl i could live without heat but not without a.c. my old car never had it so ive been putting off the heater core until i intall a.c.

Ah man, I'm in Dallas.  I visited my sister a couple of times when they lived in Coral Springs outside of Ft. Lauderdale.  I lived in Pensacola for a couple of years a long time ago.

I will tell  you this though...I did remove the glove box and replaced the blower last year.  And it was a struggle to get the fan off of the motor.  But I successfully did it without breaking it and it all works great.  Removing the dash???  I have a bad habit of quoting lyrics from a Motley Crue song about such things...I'd rather be dead! Face down in the dirt with a bullet in my head!  

• Like 1

A system is just the steps you take. Letting the goal come to you. If you focus on steps it removes the feeling of being overwhelmed by the goal. In other words, start walking and focus on the path. You'll get where you're going when you get there. Then again you might detour into something (hopefully) better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A system is just the steps you take. Letting the goal come to you. If you focus on steps it removes the feeling of being overwhelmed by the goal. In other words, start walking and focus on the path. You'll get where you're going when you get there. Then again you might detour into something (hopefully) better.

Okay...gotcha!  I'm well on board with that...I think I figured out, I just don't like the word Systems. lol  

Yeah, a system is what you develop after the question How.  Makes perfect sense.  Totally on board with that.  Often...I detour into something better when following a 'system'.  That's an awesome way to word that Xeno...thank you!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, joc said:

Okay...gotcha!  I'm well on board with that...I think I figured out, I just don't like the word Systems. lol  

Yeah, a system is what you develop after the question How.  Makes perfect sense.  Totally on board with that.  Often...I detour into something better when following a 'system'.  That's an awesome way to word that Xeno...thank you!

I don't like the word goal myself.:lol:

On 3/8/2021 at 12:38 PM, joc said:

Why not?  What is it that you want to do that you think you can't?

I no longer have any wishes/desires because I no longer have any energy or interest in my own life.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:41 AM, joc said:

That is really a mish mash of nothing  particular.   Could you name one thing that you truly desire that you cannot achieve? 

Tell me what you want and I can show you how to make it happen.

I'll be honest, I'm insulted that you just sweep aside genuine limitations as 'a mish mash of nothing in particular'. You have your head in the clouds. Which works for you. :)

On 3/9/2021 at 3:53 AM, joc said:

On 3/11/2021 at 3:11 AM, joc said:

You conveniently did not mention these:

7. I hardly ever expect things to go my way.  I know things are going to go my way, and if they don't ...meh...they will eventually.

9. I rarely count on good things happening to me.   Good things happen and bad things happen.  We call it life.

You're contradicting yourself and at the same time, agreeing with what the realists here have been saying all along! :lol: You are simply operating in your own individual phantasy. I think it's interesting that you say you have no friends. If this is indeed true then you will obviously have a lot more time to focus on yourself and the fulfillment of your own desires.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:28 AM, joc said:

Why can't we be doing our best all the time?  All the time...doesn't even exist.  All one has to do is 'their best' in the moment.  Because The Moment is reality.  It is the only thing that is reality.

I think a lot of people don't have a clue what Positive Thinking is.  It is merely being positive instead of negative.  No one said it was easy...in fact...it isn't.  The easy thing to do is to be negative.

Napoleon Hill pointed that out in his book.  He also said that if you ask 100 people what they want most in life...most people will say to be rich.  But only 2 will be able to illustrate a plan on how they intend to become rich.   

Did you know that only about 2% of people have enough income to retire comfortably on?   Hmmmm.

Of course 'all of the time' exists! It is made up of all the 'moments' . . . . which, of course are not moments at all, but time continually passing in an unbroken stream.

Why do you think only 2% of people have enough to retire comfortably on? Because every single one of them is a slacker?

While they list the reasons why this is true in the website...the bottom, bottom line is because people quit.  They give into ...I can't.  The 25% that succeed
do so for only one reason...they don't give up.
Thinking Positive is about Persistence and Determination...and Focusing on whatever desires you do have until they become an unstoppable obsession.  Some may call that fantasy.  But for those of us who are determined, and persistent...it is the reality of our lives...moment to moment. 
You have such black and white thinking! There are as many reasons for people not succeeding as there are people. But one of the main reasons for people 'giving up' is lack of energy. You are obviously blessed with a lot of energy.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:31 PM, spartan max2 said:

I think it's more people want to be rich without having to sacrifice anything.

How many nights away from kids, spouse, and friends are people willing to do to achieve that goal? How many weekends, evenings, hobbies skipped. Having alot lower income for a while. Plus some people just enjoy other professions. Only people who own their own business can ever really be rich.

It's more people also want other things. There is finite time in each day and life. So whenever you do one thing you have less time for other things.

Just felt this was worth repeating. :)

13 hours ago, joc said:

It isn't a semantics game first of all.  The reason that you can't become a mechanic is because you have no desire to be a mechanic.  Desire is the starting point for all achievement.  Before you pause the TV to go to the kitchen and get a beverage...you first have to want the beverage.  Maybe you do but you are too cozy on the couch...but then that chick in the movie opens the fridge and pulls out a Coke...a few scenes later you press pause and go get the beverage.  Then you are back on your cozy couch watching the movie with a beverage of choice in hand.  

That's all it is Bendy.  That's all it is.  You want something...you focus your attention on getting what you want.  And then you go get it.  Physical issues...pfffft...tell it to the late great Stephen Hawking!  

When you say Can't...the default question is Why not...and ANY excuse will do.  When you say Can the default question is How...and that requires thought...and often lots of it.

Eek! I have to go. Will reply to this later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I no longer have any wishes/desires because I no longer have any energy or interest in my own life.

I'll be honest, I'm insulted that you just sweep aside genuine limitations as 'a mish mash of nothing in particular'. You have your head in the clouds. Which works for you. :)

You're contradicting yourself and at the same time, agreeing with what the realists here have been saying all along! :lol: You are simply operating in your own individual phantasy. I think it's interesting that you say you have no friends. If this is indeed true then you will obviously have a lot more time to focus on yourself and the fulfillment of your own desires.

Just felt this was worth repeating. :)

Eek! I have to go. Will reply to this later.

I really did not mean to be insulting.  I understand where you are coming from and everything you are saying.  

I wish you the best.  

I  absolutely have my head in the clouds...but my feet are planted firmly on terra firma.  

So, let me just say this a different way.  In a nut shell.  The keys to success are not visualizing what you want, etc.  The keys to success are Persistence and Determination.  No one is a 'failure' until they give up.  And success...that isn't about getting rich.  We all have different desires, wants, needs...success is just making those things happen.  I have no desire to be wealthy.  And I'm not.  Figure that one out.   Because that is not where my desire is. 

And it isn't my job to tell others what their ideas of success are.   For me...this morning...it was actually just getting my socks on, because my back hurt so bad.  

I just decided along time ago that positive thinikng was better than negative thinking...which is the human default.  And it does work for me.  Maybe i am living my own Fantasy.  It's a good one though.  :wub:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't like the word goal myself.:lol:

Ha...

I don't either.  Young man, you need to set goals....pffft...

I just do what I want.   Interestingly enough, that involves doing a lot of things I don't want to do.  Life is funny.

1 hour ago, joc said:

Ha...

I don't either.  Young man, you need to set goals....pffft...

I just do what I want.   Interestingly enough, that involves doing a lot of things I don't want to do.  Life is funny.

Holding true to the subject of this thread. I suppose my "negative thinking" is more along the lines of risk assessment. Then again that's what defensive pessimism basically is. 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Holding true to the subject of this thread. I suppose my "negative thinking" is more along the lines of RISK ASSESSMENT. Then again that's what defensive pessimism basically is. 

in bold ^ ^ I think this is so important! It may be my imagination but these days people don't seem to weigh up possible outcomes before acting. Risk assessment should be the first step before making a decision, positive or negative. I definitely don't see risk assessment as 'negative thinking', in fact I would go so far as to say you are more likely to have the success you desire if you assess risks before acting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Holding true to the subject of this thread. I suppose my "negative thinking" is more along the lines of risk assessment. Then again that's what defensive pessimism basically is. 

Understand.  ahem  but the title of the thread is Why Positive Thinking is Over-rated. :)   But I digress...  From my pov...risk assessment is part of Positive Thinking.  

Another personal example:  When I was 24 I had $2500 saved from working all summer while I was living at home.  I told my Dad I was moving to California because I really liked the San Diego area and I wanted to live in San Diego.  My plan was to drive to San Diego, get an apartment, get a job, hang out at La Joya Beach. 

My Dad just looked at me and said, "That car will never make it across the desert.  You will be lucky..Lucky...if youi break down in Midland Odessa...and then you'll be living in Midland working in the oil fields...for the rest of your life."   

I stayed in East Texas before I moved to Dallas in 1985.    After I thought about it, I decided he was probably right...but I wouldn't be lucky...My water pump would go out in the most desolate part of the desert.  He knew...he'd crossed that desert several times.  I'd only flown over it.   Risk Assessment!  

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

in bold ^ ^ I think this is so important! It may be my imagination but these days people don't seem to weigh up possible outcomes before acting. Risk assessment should be the first step before making a decision, positive or negative. I definitely don't see risk assessment as 'negative thinking', in fact I would go so far as to say you are more likely to have the success you desire if you assess risks before acting.

:tu:

Risk Assessment:   So, when I was being evicted...I reasoned that I could pawn my guitar and amp and pay the back rent.  The Risk Assessment was that wouldn't be good because my situation was unlikely to change and I'd lose my only possession.  After reading the first chapter of Think and Grow Rich...I reasoned that if I pawned my guitar and amplifier...at least I'd have a shot in Dallas where I knew from the classified ads that there was ample employment opportunity.  

And honestly, when I moved to Dallas...my dream was to become a rock star!  One morning I woke up thinking about Risk Assessment in that regard.  I decided I didn't really want to be a rock star...I wanted a lot more real stuff than that.  And the odds of breaking down on the side of the road and losing all my equipment like Ozzy did was not to far fetched...so I abandoned that 'dream'...plus my father told me I'd likely be chasing that dream my whole life wind up at 50 with no home, no family, just a bunch of druggy, alcoholic friends with no life either...playing in bars trying to pay the rent....    good old risk assessment! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, joc said:

And honestly, when I moved to Dallas...my dream was to become a rock star!  One morning I woke up thinking about Risk Assessment in that regard.  I decided I didn't really want to be a rock star...I wanted a lot more real stuff than that.  And the odds of breaking down on the side of the road and losing all my equipment like Ozzy did was not to far fetched...so I abandoned that 'dream'...plus my father told me I'd likely be chasing that dream my whole life wind up at 50 with no home, no family, just a bunch of druggy, alcoholic friends with no life either...playing

Your dad was probably right.

I have a friend who went to the same college as me but dropped out half way through to chase his dream of music.

He is still chasing it without any luck. He does music lessons now to make ends meet thought. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Your dad was probably right.

I have a friend who went to the same college as me but dropped out half way through to chase his dream of music.

He is still chasing it without any luck. He does music lessons now to make ends meet thought. 

And then....there is Garth Brooks...and countless others, who were willing to make that their life ambition...and that is exactly what it takes...and that is exactly what Positive Thinking is really about.   Making what you want happen.  But it all begins with desire.  Garth got shot down so many times, but in the end, he did it.  Breaks happen to those who don't give up and who understand that sometimes, opportunity is a soft knock on the back door, not the door bell ringing.  The absolute requirement for success is Persistence and Determination, not giving up when one just gets tired of all the bs.  That is a far different thing from...a dream...with no real 'desire'.  The other thing about positive thinking is that regardless of your desire...by focusing on it..you can turn a mediocre desire into an all consuming obsession.  But in reality...I think that obsession with your desire is already there in at least your subconscious mind or it isn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joc said:

And then....there is Garth Brooks...and countless others, who were willing to make that their life ambition...and that is exactly what it takes...and that is exactly what Positive Thinking is really about.   Making what you want happen.  But it all begins with desire.  Garth got shot down so many times, but in the end, he did it.  Breaks happen to those who don't give up and who understand that sometimes, opportunity is a soft knock on the back door, not the door bell ringing.  The absolute requirement for success is Persistence and Determination, not giving up when one just gets tired of all the bs.  That is a far different thing from...a dream...with no real 'desire'.  The other thing about positive thinking is that regardless of your desire...by focusing on it..you can turn a mediocre desire into an all consuming obsession.  But in reality...I think that obsession with your desire is already there in at least your subconscious mind or it isn't.

There still isn't a guarantee that anyone can achieve their dream no matter their obsession or effort. Sure the success stories are good for selling books, but most people no matter their passion or desire can or even will achieve a high level of success. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

There still isn't a guarantee that anyone can achieve their dream no matter their obsession or effort. Sure the success stories are good for selling books, but most people no matter their passion or desire can or even will achieve a high level of success. 

There are no guarantees in life.  That is a given.  And you are correct, most people will not achieve a high level of success.   Only those who Desire a high level of success will do that.  Thomas Edison said, If a man is willing to stake everything he has on the single turn of a wheel...he is sure to win.  Most people...are not willing to do that.  And those that are have no guarantees of success.  However;  if one does wish to achieve a high level of success, one must employ persistence, determination and be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that.  And again...you are correct, most people are not going to do that.   

Two such achievers come to mind.  Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys...and Jimmy Johnson, coach who led the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl playoffs in a row and won two of them.  There was a time when Jerry Jones had his Chevron card denied at the gas station and the clerk actually cut the card in half in front of him.   Jimmy Johnson's gave up  a marriage to achieve a high level of success.  Most people are not willing to do that.  Which is why most people do not achieve a high level of success.  And most people do not even desire a high level of success.   

I am successful at everything I do.  Most successful folks are.  But too many people define 'success' as Getting Rich.  Yesterday...I was successful at cutting down the very large Sawgrass at the end of my driveway.   And then I was successful at killing about a hundred fire ant mounds.  I was unable to get the lawnmower to start because of corrosion on the battery...so I sprayed it with corrosion cleaner...but I will get it started and I will replace the drive belt so I can start mowing soon.  

1 minute ago, joc said:

There are no guarantees in life.  That is a given.  And you are correct, most people will not achieve a high level of success.   Only those who Desire a high level of success will do that.  Thomas Edison said, If a man is willing to stake everything he has on the single turn of a wheel...he is sure to win.  Most people...are not willing to do that.  And those that are have no guarantees of success.  However;  if one does wish to achieve a high level of success, one must employ persistence, determination and be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that.  And again...you are correct, most people are not going to do that.   

Two such achievers come to mind.  Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys...and Jimmy Johnson, coach who led the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl playoffs in a row and won two of them.  There was a time when Jerry Jones had his Chevron card denied at the gas station and the clerk actually cut the card in half in front of him.   Jimmy Johnson's gave up  a marriage to achieve a high level of success.  Most people are not willing to do that.  Which is why most people do not achieve a high level of success.  And most people do not even desire a high level of success.   

I am successful at everything I do.  Most successful folks are.  But too many people define 'success' as Getting Rich.  Yesterday...I was successful at cutting down the very large Sawgrass at the end of my driveway.   And then I was successful at killing about a hundred fire ant mounds.  I was unable to get the lawnmower to start because of corrosion on the battery...so I sprayed it with corrosion cleaner...but I will get it started and I will replace the drive belt so I can start mowing soon.  

Not everyone wants a high level of success nor overwhelming riches. Though I do agree that small successes are the best one. As many of us (including myself) live rather mediocre lives. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, joc said:

We don't hear all the thousands of stories of those who didn't succeed at their dreams of being a rock star.  

Even despite the sacrifices.

Like my friend from college who dropped out. He is single and everything. He is only 28 now so I guess you never know.

No success with it. Don't think he ever will. It's not only determination and persistence but it's also knowing when to cut your loses and what you can't do.

Stephen Hawking's became an astrophysicist. He didn't try to become an olympic athlete. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's not only determination and persistence but it's also knowing when to cut your loses and what you can't do

We don't hear all the thousands of stories of those who didn't succeed at their dreams of being a rock star.  

Even despite the sacrifices.

Determination and Persistence....

One is never a 'failure' until they give up in their own mind.   The whole purpose of developing a positive thought process is to strengthen determination and persistence so that one doesn't give up.

Also...the guy is 28....you don't know if he will succeed or not.  That's up to him.  There is a reason that they say overnight success takes about 15 years.

There is only one story of those who didn't succeed at their dreams...they gave up before they became successful.  What we don't hear are all of the 'reasons'  why they gave up.   Some are valid I am sure.  Most are excuses.  When we say Can the question is How.  When we say can't the question is Why Not...and at that point...any excuse will do.

Edited by joc

1 hour ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Not everyone wants a high level of success nor overwhelming riches. Though I do agree that small successes are the best one. As many of us (including myself) live rather mediocre lives. 

1 hour ago, joc said:

And most people do not even desire a high level of success. 

I would gather that 'mediocre' is probably a bit of a downplay on your actual situation...but I'll only speak for myself.  I have a very Rich life.  I'm not wealthy...in fact...I'm pretty much broke most of the time.  But Rich and Wealthy are not the same thing...although to some people they are synonymous.  To me a rich life is one where you are fulfilled and happy with what you do.  And I am that.  And what fulfills me most is knowing that I Can do anything I set my mind to. 

I enjoy the success of my undertakings...whether it is Sawgrass cutting or Chicken Coop building or just cleaning off my desk.  For me positive thinking has created an environment where, what ever I want to do...I do.  I never sit around and think, I can't do this because of that...except in the Risk Assessment phase.  Like, I want to put my chickens out in the coop outside today because they are 10 weeks old now and have feathers.   First though, I have to 'toddler' proof it.   I don't want to feed the coyotes or snakes.  Plus it is raining.  The bottom line though is...those chickens will go outside in the coop and I will make it so they are unable to get out. And I will find a way to deal with the Rat Snakes.  Somehow.  I don't know how...but I will figure something out.  That's really all positive thinking is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, Xeno-Fish said:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/bah-humbug-why-positive-thinking-is-overrated/

“So it seems that as pleasurable as these positive fantasies and daydreams are, and as good they are for exploring various possibilities in our futures, when it comes to implementing these wishes, they are actually really hurtful,” says Oettingen, who has written a book based on her research, Rethinking Positive Thinking.

“This is not only in the physical health domain, but also in psychological health. We find that the more people fantasise about a positive future, the less depressed they are at that moment but the more depressed they get over time.”

What Oettingen’s research shows is that when people are encouraged to daydream about something like landing a fantastic new job, or getting together with someone they have a crush on, they feel like they have already achieved their goal, so they relax. “These positive daydreams sap their energy and we need this energy to implement the dreams,” she says.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90575887/why-looking-on-the-bright-side-is-overrated

As they say..."hope for the best, but plan for the worst".

• Like 1