Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japanese don't want foreign fans at Olympics

Eldorado

Most Japanese do not want international spectators to attend the Tokyo Games this summer amid fears a large influx of visitors could spark a resurgence in new coronavirus infections, a Yomiuri newspaper poll showed.

With organisers planning to decide on the matter by the end of the month, the survey showed 77% of respondents were against allowing foreign fans to attend, versus just 18% in favour.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto has said she wants a decision on whether to let in overseas spectators before the start of the torch relay on March 25.

Organisers have also said they would decide on maximum capacity for spectators in general in April.

MSN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If they don't want foreign fans to attend then they shouldn't host the Olympics. I can see limiting the number of total fans but to deny all fans from other countries that are competing is wrong. Perhaps they should postpone until everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Solomonsez said:

If they don't want foreign fans to attend then they shouldn't host the Olympics. I can see limiting the number of total fans but to deny all fans from other countries that are competing is wrong. Perhaps they should postpone until everyone is vaccinated.

It's already postponed one year... they could continue for another at this rate. It's just that a bunch of athletes will not be able to compete in the olympics if it take too long. (Age, training, sponsor...)

But with the world championships, Olympics are more and more irrelevant anyway. Foremost, I don't see the points of spending so much for the Olympics.

• Like 3

Just require a vaccine booster before entering the country, simple as. 

• Like 1

Just tell the tourists that the written passport test will be in Japanese and they bog off if they don’t like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 1m tickets to be refunded as foreign fans banned from Olympic and Paralympic games.

The delayed Tokyo Olympics will be held without foreign fans and volunteers, the organising committee has decided.

Sky news report at MSN: Link

• Like 2

Surely it can all be done online? The athletes don't even need to be in the same country.

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Olympics chief says cancelation unlikely with 50 days to go

The Tokyo Olympics chief on Thursday said the Games would only be canceled in extreme circumstances. Exactly 50 days before the opening ceremony, Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto said the show would go on unless the pandemic stops a majority of teams from traveling.

"If various countries around the world experience very serious situations, and delegations from most countries can't come, then we wouldn't be able to hold it," she told the Nikkan Sports daily. "But conversely, unless such a situation emerges, the Games will not be canceled."

The 2020 Games, due to open a year late on July 23, remain beset by doubts and low public support as Japan battles a fourth virus wave with much of the country, including Tokyo, under a state of emergency.

JAPANTODAY

I hope the Japan government will hit the emergency brake soon. To perform such a big event in times of a global pandemic is irresponsible behavior at a very high degree.

• Like 2

Does anyone find it least bit odd that one of the more racist cultures on the planet have avoided being called out on what looks very like real Xenophobia?

• Like 2

Better safe than sorry.

We'll leave a string of reactors on a Fault Line alone.

Edited by Nosy.Matters
additionally
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Having a mega-super-spreader event right now is a crazy idea. Unfortunately, it's all about money. :hmm:

The Tokyo Orympics should be postponed or canceled.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, acute said:

Having a mega-super-spreader event right now is a crazy idea. Unfortunately, it's all about money. :hmm:

The Tokyo Orympics should be postponed or canceled.

With the aging Japanese population... it could mean a great cleansing and population drop... it could turn ugly rapidly.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, and then said:

Does anyone find it least bit odd that one of the more racist cultures on the planet have avoided being called out on what looks very like real Xenophobia?

i can't say they are racist, they are closed isolated culture, and they do not want it to be destroyed by any outsiders,  i can't really blame them, seeing what the world is turning into under progressive leadershits.   they are doing the right thing,  if it was not so profitable they would prbly pass the torch to someone else

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aztek said:

i can't say they are racist, they are closed isolated culture, and they do not want it to be destroyed by any outsiders,  i can't really blame them, seeing what the world is turning into under progressive leadershits.   they are doing the right thing,  if it was not so profitable they would prbly pass the torch to someone else

That seems to be the generally accepted belief with the Japanese and especially the Chinese.  I haven't witnessed it with Japanese but I DEFINITELY saw it when in China.  I just thought it was kind of odd, considering how nearly everything is viewed through that lens of "wokeness" these days.  Perhaps only caucasians can be called out.

• Like 1

It could be that they view Covid with a seriousness that we Westerners just can't comprehend.....   I know that if I were in charge of a foreign country, I would be hesitant to let citizens of the countries some of the posters here are from in just because of their denial of the seriousness of Covid and the reluctance to get vaccinated.  There are two major US variants and no major Japanese variant as a glaring example.  Their population is older and more vulnerable as well.

• Like 1