Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman discovers mystery rooms behind mirror

Still Waters

A New York City woman discovered an entire empty apartment located through a hole behind her bathroom mirror — and videos of her solving the mystery and making the unsettling discovery have gone viral on TikTok.

Samantha Hartsoe was trying to find the source of cold air that was blowing into her Roosevelt Island apartment, and soon found that the air was coming from behind the bathroom mirror. She removed the mirror to find a fairly large square hole in the wall.

She continued to film as she peered through, finding a dark room on the other side — and a hallway leading to possibly more. She quickly decided she had to go in and see what was in there.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/weird/nyc-woman-finds-hole-behind-her-bathroom-mirror-leading-to-strange-secret-apartment/2925974/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/08/new-york-woman-secret-apartment-bathroom-mirror

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Woman discovers mystery rooms behind mirror

Is the reference to the horror flim Candy man just to add drama to a somewhat mundain event?

In the one story if i understand this,

Inside the hair-raising secret space, Hartsoe finds open windows and a heap of trash bags. She also discovers an empty water bottle, which she calls a “sign of life”.

Open windows so its not all that "hidden" ,

An apt building has a....apartment thats not being used im just not seeing this as any hugh mystery or reason to consider moving, the water bottle wasnt very old looking,

Okay i am sounding too snarky, ill chill, 

i have such a space in my joint and this has me wanting to tear into it now, mine isnt too large about like a big closet, i did run a camera into it and it has old wall hooks etc, its in a odd location behind the fireplace between two rooms,

When this joint was built around 1909 that back room was called a library, the hidden space i am guessing was just a closet l.

• Like 1

Was it a 2 way mirror?:hmm:

• Like 2

Obviously, the "My Pillow" guy lives behind the mirror.

:passifier:

Edited by pallidin
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Don't say anything, block the other entrance if it exists and use all the space available...

My thoughts exactly!

• Haha 1

My first thought that it might have been a hidden storage space during Prohibition? Did something like that happen in New York? Or maybe for drugs or some such.

• Like 1

Doesn't every family have a secret space where they keep a troublesome relative? :unsure2:

Our 'Great Uncle Brenda' was chained up in the attic for over 30 years! :yes:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Don't say anything, block the other entrance if it exists and use all the space available...

Exactly. I'd commandeer it for myself. use it for storage, an art installation, or whatever.

I had an apartment in college that had a hidden space. Under the floor in one closet was a removable panel. It led to a walled up stairway. I used it for extra storage and painted some weird stuff on the walls for future residents to 'discover', heh.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2021 at 9:09 AM, Orphalesion said:

My first thought that it might have been a hidden storage space during Prohibition? Did something like that happen in New York? Or maybe for drugs or some such.

I kinda thought that also. But I saw some items in there that looked recent like a Core water bottle.

I wonder if she checked the mirror to see if it's 2 way. Somebody could be spying on her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

I kinda thought that also. But I saw some items in there that looked recent like a Core water bottle.

I wonder if she checked the mirror to see if it's 2 way. Somebody could be spying on her.

Well the water bottle and such could come from a later period when somebody found and unofficially used the space (the second link mentions "open windows" So depending on how old the space is it could have been used for all sorts of stuff over the years. We'd only know for sure if they'd find out and reveal when the apartment was...."lost"

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Well the water bottle and such could come from a later period when somebody found and unofficially used the space (the second link mentions "open windows" So depending on how old the space is it could have been used for all sorts of stuff over the years. We'd only know for sure if they'd find out and reveal when the apartment was...."lost"

Looking up that Core water. It came out in 2014. So somebody was in that room within 6 years.

• Like 1