Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars rover listens to its rock-zapping laser

Still Waters

Nasa's Perseverance Mars rover listens to its rock-zapping laser

So, now we know what a laser sounds like on another world.

The US space agency's Perseverance rover has deployed its SuperCam instrument on Mars for the first time.

This high-intensity light probe can identify rocks at a distance. It's a technique that was also employed by Nasa's previous rover, Curiosity.

But Perseverance has some enhancements, including a microphone that allows us to actually hear the laser at work.

This isn't just some nice-to-have feature, a gimmick for PR purposes, but provides extra information that is useful to scientists.

The sound of the laser hitting rocks reveals knowledge such as the hardness of the targets being investigated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56354383

• Like 5

I know I'm being a little weird here, but I want this new Mars rover to have a speaker so that I and others can shout..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The wind was both eerily beautiful and haunting - yet familiar despite it being millions of miles away on a distant, rocky world. :)

• Like 2

When you listen and realize that there is not a a live entity around for 150 million miles, it is both eerie and breathtaking 

I got that same sensation when I saw the photo of  the rover parachuting down,, taken from the orbiter, 400 miles away. eerie. very eerie. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

When you listen and realize that there is not a a live entity around for 150 million miles, it is both eerie and breathtaking 

That we know of. ;)

• Like 2

That will be my new white noise for sleep lol