Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mississippi ban transgender women from sports

Eldorado

16 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

And what about equal pay?

:ph34r:

What about it? Pay has been equal for some time now. In fact it’s flipping. Women over 30 now on average make more than men. 

The only thing holding women back for equal pay in the younger folks is personal choices. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

What about it? Pay has been equal for some time now. In fact it’s flipping. Women over 30 now on average make more than men. 

The only thing holding women back for equal pay in the younger folks is personal choices. 

We are talking about sports, and it is not equal pay in sports.   Did you get side tracked with some "right"/"left" debate that has nothing to do with this OP?   AND by the way women over 30 do not make more on average than men.  Where did you dream that?  Or again, are you mixing facts, of course a woman over 30 with a college degree makes more than a 19 year old man who is flipping burgers.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I find it hilarious folks like yourself have the gall to call us authoritarian. If many on your side had their way very little of our lives wouldn’t  be under an authoritarian state. We literally have left wing mobs on line trying to ruin the individual lives of anyone who refuses to think like they do. 

Yep.  Folks like myself find the many of the new university students embracing authoritarian principles just like people on the right the right.   Neither the left or the right are content to leave the people in the middle alone.  That includes you lot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We are talking about sports, and it is not equal pay in sports.

There is a reason for that.  When I go to a Sounders match (MLS) it is in a big stadium charging $60 and up per seat and the stadium is full.  When I've went to a Reign match (NWSL) they are in a small stadium at about half capacity for $20 or so a seat.  When you generate a lot of money, you get paid more.  There is nothing sexist about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There is a reason for that.  When I go to a Sounders match (MLS) it is in a big stadium charging $60 and up per seat and the stadium is full.  When I've went to a Reign match (NWSL) they are in a small stadium at about half capacity for $20 or so a seat.  When you generate a lot of money, you get paid more.  There is nothing sexist about it.

Do college women's teams get the same benefits that the men's teams get?   They play in the same stadiums, and I know college teams don't get paid, but the football and basketball players get other perks, cars etc.   I have never heard of a women's track team, or basketball star players getting a car.  And why is it that people flock to men's sports but not women's?   Advertising?   Blood?  What is it really?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do college women's teams get the same benefits that the men's teams get?   They play in the same stadiums, and I know college teams don't get paid, but the football and basketball players get other perks, cars etc.   I have never heard of a women's track team, or basketball star players getting a car.  And why is it that people flock to men's sports but not women's?   Advertising?   Blood?  What is it really?

No college gives their athletes cars.  Sometimes a car dealership gives one to a star athlete as a form of advertisement.  If they could get the same economic return from giving a car to a female basketball player as a male quarterback then they would do that.  College athletes regardless of sex are given dorm rooms, free cafeteria food, free school branded clothing, etc.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No college gives their athletes cars.  Sometimes a car dealership gives one to a star athlete as a form of advertisement.  If they could get the same economic return from giving a car to a female basketball player as a male quarterback then they would do that.  College athletes regardless of sex are given dorm rooms, free cafeteria food, free school branded clothing, etc.  

But why are men's sports more popular than women's sports?  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because men are better athletes.  They run faster and have more strength.  Personally I enjoy the WNBA and NWSL and have paid money for tickets to go see them.  But did you know that the year the record female 400m was set in the '82 Olympics that there were over 300 US male high school track athletes that beat that time?  True story.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We are talking about sports, and it is not equal pay in sports.   Did you get side tracked with some "right"/"left" debate that has nothing to do with this OP?   AND by the way women over 30 do not make more on average than men.  Where did you dream that?  Or again, are you mixing facts, of course a woman over 30 with a college degree makes more than a 19 year old man who is flipping burgers.

Yes we are talking about sport; and, that idea has obviously gone over some heads.  By raising pay, I was making a statement that a transgender division will probably not viable.  It's a point @OverSword seems to get.

Incidentally, since "equal pay" in the Major Tennis Opens, men are still required to play best-of-five matches and are comparatively underpaid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because as a not exactly fighting fit 35 year old male, I feel like I could do a better job as an athlete then any of the female sports i have seen (except for gymnastics and synchronized swimming).

For me it comes down to "could i do it better?" 

If its an art work, musical performance or any written work, I would feel ripped off paying for something inferior then i could do myself.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Hugh Mungus said:

Because as a not exactly fighting fit 35 year old male, I feel like I could do a better job as an athlete then any of the female sports i have seen (except for gymnastics and synchronized swimming).

For me it comes down to "could i do it better?" 

If its an art work, musical performance or any written work, I would feel ripped off paying for something inferior then i could do myself.

I bet my niece could out run you.   She used to be a flag bearer in the army.  That takes a lot of strength and stamina.

On 12/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The only other option that is viable competitively is more divisions in the sports - bio men, bio women, and an open men and open women competition. I dare say the open competitions will be dominated by assigned at birth males(except gymnastics), but that’s tomorrow’s problem todays problem is creating inclusive and safe spaces for sport. 

Have you ever bothered to watch men's gymnastics? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I bet my niece could out run you.   She used to be a flag bearer in the army.  That takes a lot of strength and stamina.

Quite possibly. But can she kick a ball?

Have a look at this clip. I used to play football socially, and can say the quality was better than these professional athletes. The clip itself starts of with a feminist commentary about how good the womens game is. That is then followed up with 6 minutes of the worst level of competitive sport you have ever seen. I literally laughed out loud at how bad these sportspeople are.

• Haha 1

Ronda Rousey on the gender pay gap: 

"I think that how much you get paid should have something to do with how much money you bring in.
"I'm the highest-paid fighter not because Dana [White] and Lorenzo [Fertitta] wanted to do 'something nice for the ladies,' they do it because I bring in the highest numbers.
"They do it because I make them the most money and I think that the money they (the Australian women's football team) make should be proportionate to the money that they bring in."

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Mostly because it is a higher level of competition.  Female sports can be good to watch because it's fair competition but it below the men's equivalent.  There are some sports where that isn't true, but not many.  Gymnastics and figure skating would be a couple and the ratings will show that more people watch them.  I think women's tennis may be watched more than men's tennis, but I attribute that to the women wearing short skirts.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, Myles said:

The left is ruining women's sports.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/penn-parents-integrity-of-womens-sports-lia-thomas

Thomas, a transgender student at the Ivy League university, dominated the 500-yard freestyle preliminaries and finals at the Zippy Invitational at the University of Akron this month. Thomas earned a winning time of 4:34.06 in the finals, breaking the Ivy League record, and set new school records in the 1,650-yard freestyle and 200-yard freestyle competitions. Thomas previously competed as a man for three years on the school's men's team. Thomas' success on the women’s team has renewed criticism over allowing transgender women to compete against biological females.

We accept the use of aluminum poles in pole vaulting.  A hickory pole was used before aluminum came along.  Because aluminum gives an unfair advantage, it should be outlawed from pole vaulting competitions.  Right?

So apply that reasoning to transgender people and you would have to accept the records they set.

How many ways do you want to have it?

Doug

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

We accept the use of aluminum poles in pole vaulting.  A hickory pole was used before aluminum came along.  Because aluminum gives an unfair advantage, it should be outlawed from pole vaulting competitions.  Right?

So apply that reasoning to transgender people and you would have to accept the records they set.

Doug

That is apples to oranges.   Males competing in female sports is unfair competition.   

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is apples to oranges.   Males competing in female sports is unfair competition.   

Agreed that it isn't a good example.

But the issue isn't as clear-cut as some would have you believe.  A male who starts receiving hormone therapy at a young age, develops as female and for all intents and purposes (including sports competitions) is female.  But if hormone therapy does not begin early enough, the person starts to develop as male.  That individual could have an unfair advantage in competitions.

The solution is to have a two-track system that recognizes winners in both groups:  natural women and those who began early therapy in one group and those who didn't start therapy early enough in a second group.  The second group may be included in men's competitions, or it may be a stand-alone group.

Because the onset of therapy varies there may be no way to be fair to everybody who waited too long to start hormone therapy.  That is a handicap the person will have to live with.

Doug

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Agreed that it isn't a good example.

But the issue isn't as clear-cut as some would have you believe.  A male who starts receiving hormone therapy at a young age, develops as female and for all intents and purposes (including sports competitions) is female.  But if hormone therapy does not begin early enough, the person starts to develop as male.  That individual could have an unfair advantage in competitions.

The solution is to have a two-track system that recognizes winners in both groups:  natural women and those who began early therapy in one group and those who didn't start therapy early enough in a second group.  The second group may be included in men's competitions, or it may be a stand-alone group.

Because the onset of therapy varies there may be no way to be fair to everybody who waited too long to start hormone therapy.  That is a handicap the person will have to live with.

Doug

I think the best way is just to have born biological male and born biological female.    For the very low percentage that fall in between, it just is a bummer.    

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Probably because 90% of those watching sports are men.

Find a way for Carrie Bradshaw to watch sports and you'll fix your issue. Woman claim to have better things to do with their time and money. 

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

SOP when new materials are added to sports like that is for the first few records set using them to be asterisk records, so do the same - won by Laura Scott* (born with a penis). 
A few dozen records with similar asterisk and the competitive bodies will do what they did with the “super suit” in swimming, and ban it.

13 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Probably because 90% of those watching sports are men.

Find a way for Carrie Bradshaw to watch sports and you'll fix your issue. Woman claim to have better things to do with their time and money. 

Not only claim but actually do have better things to do with their time and money.   I don't know who Carrie Bradshaw is, seems like a reference to that stupid Sex & the City television show.  That character was an idiot, just like Alley McBeal.   I never got why people like soap operas and women in angst.        

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

A few dozen records with similar asterisk and the competitive bodies will do what they did with the “super suit” in swimming, and ban it.

If everyone has the option of using the "new and improved equipment" is the only way it would be fair. Like one doctor said, allowing men in women's sports is the equivalent of doping.

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked