Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mississippi ban transgender women from sports

Eldorado

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

What you say is correct, plus another thing Megan Rapinoe needs to understand is that men are by far the majority that actually pay to watch sport, however with regard to her particular sport, soccer or to give it its proper name football, she is playing a game traditionally played by men which men play to a much higher standard. I think I'm correct in saying that her team was beaten by a team of school boys at some point. The point being that to expect to be paid the same as men playing a mens sport is like asking people to pay top dollar to watch school football. Thats why the crowds are still small for womens football & womens rugby, and until women start watching ( paying to watch) in the same numbers as men then things will stay as they are.

I think this one is my favorite -

“1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters[edit]

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[58] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple of bottles of ice cold lager".[59][58] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[60] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[58] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"[61]and that the big difference was that men can chase down shots much more easily and put spin on the ball that female players could not handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.[58]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch_vs._the_Williams_sisters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

That will not happen.

Probably not, but wouldn't it be fun if it did (both ignoring the screamers, and the whole team walking off because of the uniforms).

Another biological female victim:

"This isn’t transphobia. This is advocating for fairness in women’s sports."

Those were the words uttered by skater Taylor Silverman this morning while appearing as a guest on "Don’t @ Me" with OutKick’s Dan Dakich. Silverman discussed the discomfort and fear of being blackballed that she’s been dealing with since speaking out against the decision to allow Lilian Gallagher to compete in skate competitions against biological females.

As OutKick’s Alejandro Avila detailed last week, Gallagher, who is transgender, competed in a Red Bull-sponsored skating event against biological females, taking first place and $5,000. Initially hesitant to speak up, Silverman, who finished second, found the courage to speak out, saying in part: "…The trans competitor who won took $1000 dollars in qualifiers, $3000 in finals, and $1000 in best trick. This totaled to $5000 of the prize money meant for the female athletes.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/female-skateboarder-trans-competitor-future-daughters

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Another biological female victim:

"This isn’t transphobia. This is advocating for fairness in women’s sports."

Those were the words uttered by skater Taylor Silverman this morning while appearing as a guest on "Don’t @ Me" with OutKick’s Dan Dakich. Silverman discussed the discomfort and fear of being blackballed that she’s been dealing with since speaking out against the decision to allow Lilian Gallagher to compete in skate competitions against biological females.

As OutKick’s Alejandro Avila detailed last week, Gallagher, who is transgender, competed in a Red Bull-sponsored skating event against biological females, taking first place and $5,000. Initially hesitant to speak up, Silverman, who finished second, found the courage to speak out, saying in part: "…The trans competitor who won took $1000 dollars in qualifiers, $3000 in finals, and $1000 in best trick. This totaled to $5000 of the prize money meant for the female athletes.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/female-skateboarder-trans-competitor-future-daughters

image.png

When I first read this I thought it was a Blades Of Glory story.

I've no interest in skateboarding, but the video, in your link, where "Taylor Silverman shows off her moves at skate park" seems remarkably underwhelming for a would-be champion.

A conversation from ten years ago speaks of the potential of women being able to compete with men.  Recent Reddit discussion say the that women's skateboarding is still in its infancy.

What advantages does a man have over a women in skateboarding?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Seems many women are terrified of being canceled if they take up the debate. Mostly cause that’s exactly what happens. Especially those directly involved. 

That's just what you like to think. Spartan showed you the statistics. The majority of women support trans lifestyles. 

Then you have some speaking out. They do just fine, although they get called a bigot. And honestly, that's to be expected.

How about you provide some statistics to support your assumptions? 

And how is it you feel that your views are actually supporting those who don't tolerate trans athletes, or the lifestyle? What is the mechanism? Where's the effect? What's your expected result? What actions have you actually taken?

Or are you just blindly getting angry at those who don't hold your beliefs on the subject? 

And I have said I don’t care what it looks like to you, I’m not trying to change that. 

Then how about you explain it in simple terms? 

GD asked miles what advantage a male skateboarder has over a female skateboarder. Can you explain what that advantage is exactly? 

Has nothing to do with bravado. It’s just common sense. 

Where's the sense? 

It's your personal view, and there doesn't seem to be anything behind it other than what you believe your upbringing drives you to do. That's like voting for a party because your grandparents did. It's just being led by the nose, it's not evaluating the situation. 

The more people expressing their opinion on this the more likely there will be a positive outcome. 

You mean the outcome you desire. Not what the majority decided on. 

That's where you go wrong IMHO. 

Seems outrageous to me that you would put women in harms way of men. In sports and in public locker rooms.

It seems more outrageous to stereotype a community on beliefs based upon an errant few who are largely taking advantage of a situation rather then participate in it. That's just bigotry by definition. 

Do you understand that it is a way of life in some countries? 

Have you once ever considered how difficult it would be for a genuine person to make that drastic change due to the level of intense bigotry you have vented? 

How does someone like Laverne Cox fit into your perception? Would you consider that person a threat to women? 

https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/controversy-over-transgender-athletes

You are expressing your support in the court of public opinion. Same as all of us.

Nope, I'm asking where the bigotry I'm seeing is justified. I'm asking posters who say they are defending women how it is they think they are accomplishing this. 

I'm not spouting some BS about protecting women, whom I'm not sure actually need or want protection, especially from a bunch of old farts behind keyboards. 

Is it protecting women, or do guys who like to belittle and beat up on women justify their violence with the distinction of a trans target? 

I couldn’t care less what people do. I’m not afraid of trans people. That’s the insanity here. Bow to every demand your you are a bigot. Live and let live I say. Just don’t tread on real women doing so. 

Let the women speak then. When you are directly affected, or can articulate good reason for your crusade let that out. Until then we have enough mindless bashers.

Other than the target, how does transphobia differ from old school homophobia? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:
  1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

"I was raised with the idea that men should protect women. Started with my Father telling me to watch over my little sister on the school yard. Got my first black eye in the 4th grade doing so. "

psyche101 said:

"It's an outdated idea. 

What makes you more capable than any woman taking up the debate?"

https://reduxx.info/feminists-attacked-assaulted-by-trans-activists-during-iwd-2022-demonstrations/

https://reduxx.info/uk-woman-assaulted-by-trans-activists-at-feminist-event/

https://4w.pub/trans-allies-physically-attack-feminists-at-protests/

https://www.peaktrans.org/hate-from-trans-activists/

Activists. 

Activists often have a screw loose. The cause doesn't matter. 

So because there's violent Republican activists can we ban them from the world too? Particularly Trump supporters?

Here's your proof. You don't want to be a hypocrite now do you. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2019/aug/28/in-the-name-of-trump-supporters-attacks-database

5 hours ago, el midgetron said:

I think this one is my favorite -

“1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters[edit]

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[58] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple of bottles of ice cold lager".[59][58] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[60] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[58] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"[61]and that the big difference was that men can chase down shots much more easily and put spin on the ball that female players could not handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.[58]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)#1998:_Karsten_Braasch_vs._the_Williams_sisters

That link lists 11 matches. 

Two male victories in all. 

I'd say you've omitted quite a bit there. 

Edited by psyche101

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

What advantages does a man have over a women in skateboarding?

Men mature slower.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

Men mature slower.

That would be a disadvantage.

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That would be a disadvantage.

Maybe when you get a little older you will understand, 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Talking of omitting details, did you see how many of those matches were 25-30 year old females at the height of their careers up against men in their 50s? Or did you see how many of those matches were played under handicap rules (most gave the female a 30-0 start in each game, at least one gave a negative 30-0 to the male while simultaneously giving plus 15-0 to the female).  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, psyche101 said:

By reading the information I provided a link to, you came to the conclusion I “omitted” something? 

I shared my favorite one. I omitted everything that wasn’t my favorite one. 

18 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Maybe when you get a little older you will understand, 

I don't want to understand you. 

1 hour ago, Paranoid Android said:

Talking of omitting details, did you see how many of those matches were 25-30 year old females at the height of their careers up against men in their 50s? Or did you see how many of those matches were played under handicap rules (most gave the female a 30-0 start in each game, at least one gave a negative 30-0 to the male while simultaneously giving plus 15-0 to the female).  

Yes I did. I didn't make any claims, I just said there more to the story. Goolagong was an impressive win wouldn't you say? 

So you agree it's pointless to out up an article with one example like midge did? 

Edited by psyche101

By reading the information I provided a link to, you came to the conclusion I “omitted” something? 

I shared my favorite one. I omitted everything that wasn’t my favorite one. 

Bigotry is very transparent.

You might want to factor that into your future posting.

40 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Yes I did. I didn't make any claims, I just said there more to the story. Goolagong was an impressive win wouldn't you say? 

Not at all. I mean, I guess it's good she won, but it wasn't without help. Let's not forget that according to the wiki article, "the men were limited to one serve and the women had the added area of the alleys for shot placement.". It's a victory, and good on her. But you're stretching the facts to describe it as "impressive". The deck was stacked in her favour from the start.

40 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So you agree it's pointless to out up an article with one example like midge did? 

The point was that even the best women player on the planet got taken to school by a man ranked 200+ in the world. There were no special rules for that event! That is, neither Williams sister was allowed to serve out into the doubles alley, neither sister took a handicap, and they weren't facing a man in his 50's and past his prime. Pointing out that Goolagong won one set in a tight 7-5 victory while being allowed to serve out to the doubles court and restricting her opponent to only a second serve..... kind of makes the point that women are well behind men in athletic stakes and simply cannot compete against men in one on one competition (or any competition, really - I remember reading about the Australian Women's soccer team getting smashed 7-0 by an under 15's boys team from the Newcastle Jets). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Not at all. I mean, I guess it's good she won, but it wasn't without help. Let's not forget that according to the wiki article, "the men were limited to one serve and the women had the added area of the alleys for shot placement.". It's a victory, and good on her. But you're stretching the facts to describe it as "impressive". The deck was stacked in her favour from the start.

Namaste said she played extraordinarily well and that he was exhausted after playing here. 

It seems the advantage wasn't required hey. It was more a chauvinistic gesture than anything. 

The point was that even the best women player on the planet got taken to school by a man ranked 200+ in the world. There were no special rules for that event! That is, neither Williams sister was allowed to serve out into the doubles alley, neither sister took a handicap, and they weren't facing a man in his 50's and past his prime. Pointing out that Goolagong won one set in a tight 7-5 victory while being allowed to serve out to the doubles court and restricting her opponent to only a second serve..... kind of makes the point that women are well behind men in athletic stakes and simply cannot compete against men in one on one competition (or any competition, really -

No it doesn't. 

It was one event. And obvious why it's a favourite with that poster. 

Women have better stamina and short distance speed. They often outcompete men in distance running, swimming and rock climbing. 

I remember reading about the Australian Women's soccer team getting smashed 7-0 by an under 15's boys team from the Newcastle Jets). 

Missing seven regular players. They often lose to younger make teams like that. For some reason women's soccer all of sudden mattered after that. 

https://femalecricket.com/female-cricket-blogs/1640-women-s-day-special-9-times-when-women-s-cricket-overpowered-men-s-records.html

• Confused 1

@psyche101 - having 2 serves to 1 PLUS being allowed to serve into the doubles alley..... I don't know if you have ever watched or played tennis, but that is a HUGE advantage (hint: there's a reason 1st serve percentages and break points are related stats in tennis). Wining 7-5 under those circumstances is in no way evidence that "the advantage wasn't required". No reasonable person could make that conclusion based on the available evidence! 

It's laughable that your rationalisation for the soccer players is they were missing seven players - let's apply that same logic to the men's team, and see how year 9 boys go against them if we take out the top 7 players from the men's Aussie team (heck, let's take the entire starting side and all reserves out from the pool and use an entirely second string team of Aussie men - the year 9 boys would still get toweled up)

19 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

@psyche101 - having 2 serves to 1 PLUS being allowed to serve into the doubles alley..... I don't know if you have ever watched or played tennis, but that is a HUGE advantage (hint: there's a reason 1st serve percentages and break points are related stats in tennis). Wining 7-5 under those circumstances is in no way evidence that "the advantage wasn't required". No reasonable person could make that conclusion based on the available evidence! 

Did you read what namaste had to say? It's in my post. 

I've played it. Have you? Goolagong took advantage of the advantage, she said so. That doesn't mean she didn't have namaste running ragged to keep up. He said it was one of the toughest matches he has played so I'd say she would be very competitive without the advantage. You are of course entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree. 

19 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's laughable that your rationalisation for the soccer players is they were missing seven players - let's apply that same logic to the men's team, and see how year 9 boys go against them if we take out the top 7 players from the men's Aussie team (heck, let's take the entire starting side and all reserves out from the pool and use an entirely second string team of Aussie men - the year 9 boys would still get toweled up)

It's more laughable that you think it was an important game for them. As I said, it happens often. That's not the first time by any means. Check it yourself. The players weren't upset with the score, and what about those female cricket players. Or the other sports i mentioned. Did you look into those as well?

Funny, you always say you hate sports, now you seem to be an expert suddenly. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Did you read what namaste had to say? It's in my post. 

I've played it. Have you? Goolagong took advantage of the advantage, she said so. That doesn't mean she didn't have namaste running ragged to keep up. He said it was one of the toughest matches he has played so I'd say she would be very competitive without the advantage. You are of course entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree. 

Fair enough. I disagree with your opinion :yes: 

It's more laughable that you think it was an important game for them. As I said, it happens often. That's not the first time by any means. Check it yourself. The players weren't upset with the score, and what about those female cricket players. Or the other sports i mentioned. Did you look into those as well?

I didn't say it was an important game. And I didn't say anyone was upset. The game doesn't have to be important to acknowledge that the women's soccer team plays at an objectively lower quality than 15 year old boys! 

Funny, you always say you hate sports, now you seem to be an expert suddenly. 

This is news to me. I love sports. I don't think I'm what you'd call a "fanatic", but I enjoy sports to call myself a fan (I know, it's short for fanatic anyway, you know what I'm trying to say). I watch a couple of games of Rugby League each week (Wests Tigers, I'll usually watch plus maybe one other game). I watch the Sydney Swans in AFL and Western Sydney Wanderers in the A-League. I watch every Socceroos game. I've been to State of Origin a few times, I've watched Socceroos qualify for two World Cups live (most recently vs Honduras in the final game of last World Cup's qualification at Stadium Australia in Sydney). I watch the tennis Slams. And wrestling (I'm a big fan of wrestling, big fan of AEW right now). About the only game I don't regularly watch is cricket (boring as bat guano, no offense to any cricket fans.... and Union, I used to watch the Waratahs every week, but I got bored of Rugby Union a couple of years ago; though I'll still watch the Wallabies when they play international matches). 

I'm not the worlds biggest sports fan, but I seriously have no idea where you got the idea that I hated sport.

Double Edit: removed initial edit

I think its pretty simple. Whenever there is an event with a trans person, who may have an unfair advantage, the athletes who think its unfair should walk off the event. If you have 75% of your competitors walking off, you'll get action by the Rules Committees pretty quick.

If no one walks off, you can assume they all think the trans person can be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I think its pretty simple. Whenever there is an event with a trans person, who may have an unfair advantage, the athletes who think its unfair should walk off the event. If you have 75% of your competitors walking off, you'll get action by the Rules Committees pretty quick.

If no one walks off, you can assume they all think the trans person can be there.

….or they fear being called a bigot or losing sponsors.

….or they fear being called a bigot or losing sponsors.

They can tell the sponsor they'd score higher if the unfair person wasn't there, thus its in the sponsors best interest to see a rule change also.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, Myles said:

Unless the compromise prohibits biological males from competing in biological women's sports, I don't see a fair way for women.

They could allow for performance enhancing drugs, doping, testosterone, HGH, or steroids. All started at an early age. To allow for parity of advantage.

Many Olympic level athletes start training when as young as 6, 7 or 8 years old. If you started a girl swimmer on steroids and HGH and bone density enhancement, at age 7 they'll probably be very competitive with a fairly good male->female trans swimmer.

So there's options that could be investigated to even the field.

(Partly Sarcasm... Partly True)

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

They can tell the sponsor they'd score higher if the unfair person wasn't there, thus its in the sponsors best interest to see a rule change also.

In the era of Kaepernick, you don’t have to score higher of even play the sport. An athlete’s politics get gets them sponsored. 

I agree with you though. The solution is for people to voice their objection.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked