Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FBI Director Wray's "Magic Words"

Raptor Witness

Recently, FBI Director Christopher Wray was hauled before Congress to give testimony, as to how and why they failed to give more warning, regarding the recent insurrection at our nation's Capitol. After all, this was arguably the greatest failure by the FBI, since 911.

Although I didn't listen to the entire testimony, lasting I believe around 3 hours, or read the entire transcript, I was able to pick up on a few interesting comments made by Director Wray, which suggest the motives behind their continued, and likely, illegal activity, uncovered during the COINTELPRO investigation.

In other words, their playbook hasn't really changed. The problem is, having an organization like this, with an evil, vile, track record of their own, in charge of what is, and what is not "dangerous."

Here's a searchable link to the transcript -  Link

WRAY: Well certainly we are concerned about the QAnon phenomenon which we view as a sort of loose sort of set of conspiracy theories. And we've certainly seen domestic violent extremists of the sort that you're describing who cite that as part of their motivation. So that's something that we do.

SEN. BLUMENTHAL: But I apologize for interrupting. As you know my time is limited. When members of congress as has happened endorse the QAnon theory, doesn't it worsen the threat of violence?

WRAY: Well again our focus is on the violence and on the plans to commit violence on the threats to commit violence. It's less on the rhetoric and the ideology. Obviously the folks who engage in this kind of violence draw inspiration from a variety of sources. And we're concerned about any source that stimulates or motivates violent extremism.

WRAY: Well certainly - there's a number of things we're trying to do to get better. And I think we are making progress. But it all of it as you reference requires resources. So there's a data analytics piece because the volume is so significant that we need to get better at being able to analyze the data that we have to do it in a timely way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

And that requires both tools, analytical tools. And we've had requests for those in the budgets the last couple of years but also people data analysts who can devote their time to that who have the experience. So that's part of it.

I think a second part of it is, as I think I referenced in response to an earlier question, all of these investigations that we do, all these arrests we make are important not from - not just from a disruption perspective, but putting my intelligence hat on.

SEN. SASSE: Yes.

WRAY: They allow us to learn more about where people communicate, how they communicate, and what the magic words is all that kind of stuff. So we get better and better and anticipating from that reason. But make no mistake; we've got a long way to go.

And separating out which ones are getting traction, which ones reflect intention as opposed to aspiration is something that we spend an enormous amount of time trying to do. Sometimes we don't have the luxury of time and the ability to make those judgments.

I can assure you that as I said I think to Senator Klobuchar my standard is we're trying to bat a thousand. We want to thwart every attack. And anytime there's an attack that's not forwarded, we and our partners want to make sure that we figure out how to do even better at preventing that.

And so trying to figure out who's just saying you know, what we ought to do is x or everybody ought to do x versus the person who's doing that and actually getting traction and then getting followers. And of course that's assuming they're not communicating through encrypted channels about all that stuff.

Is one of the hardest things there is to do in today's world with the nature of the vile extremism threat we face. Social media companies play a huge role in helping us with that. But you often hear us say, if you see something, say something, to me, the refinement here would be if Americans see something on social media that seems to have crossed that line.

They need to say something because that's going to be our best source of information to prevent this.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1