Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could octopuses one day take over the world ?

UM-Bot

It may want to start it's world takeover in it's own realm. I mean the underwater one. It could first subjugate the dolphins and whales with it's evil octopower. If the whales and dolphins refuse it's rule, they could call in the Japanese. 

• Haha 1

Fascinating topic. I've heard about this before, somewhere, but don't know much about it.

• Like 1

This reminded me of a really cool old straight to DVD documentary called The Future is Wild. I still have it somewhere...

It's a 3 disc set, with each disc theorizing on life from 5, 100, and 200 million years into the future respectively. The doc presumes humanity is either extinct or gone. It's really dated CG at this point, but still a fun watch.

Anyway, the last disc postulates the descendants of octopuses moving to land, and essentially fulling the same niche as primates did in our past. They swing through the trees like monkeys! And some develop tool use, IIRC.

• Like 2

Huh yeah it says that even giant sea squids only live up to about 3 years... I thought that deep sea octopus and squids among some other deep sea creatures (larger and not bioluminescent) could live a long time but i guess i was mistaken. Lobsters and green sea turtles can live over 100 I believe...

Who controls the world now, A virus, a Computer or an amoeba? I can not see it... I laugh at the concept of humans controlling anything. We are children on a roundabout controled by a set of rules we can not quite grasp with candy on our faces and the wrapper in the Wind.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Do they already control their own part of the world?

Perhaps in some ecosystems... When I think of the top predator I typically think of the food chain as a whole, with organisms like whales and sharks on the top level... But I don't know all of the different ocean ecosystems. I would think perhaps blue ringed octopus, portuguese manowar, and giant squid could be?? Unsure on that.

Edited to add: unless you were talking about their secret underwater takeover of Atlantis :D

Edited by smanthaonvaca
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SultryPine said:

Who controls the world now, A virus, a Computer or an amoeba? I can not see it... I laugh at the concept of humans controlling anything. We are children on a roundabout controled by a set of rules we can not quite grasp with candy on our faces and the wrapper in the Wind.

Hahahah... It's so ironic. We consider ourselves so powerful but really only with our evolution, socialization, and developments of technology. A virus that we cannot even see without a microscope managed to take over the world, yet no single man ever did. People have been competing, dividing, and conquering for ages, but the Earth itself has control over our existence.

• Like 1

A squid is not an octopus, but some certainly look alien enough...

Meet Magnapinnus (or whatever) :

20210313_171559.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I love how this one was in the suggestions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

A squid is not an octopus, but some certainly look alien enough...

Meet Magnapinnus (or whatever) :

I think all of the cephalopods would join together. I would put jellyfish on their side too. That's funny because I think the video creator of the kraken vs cthulhu (which i will never be able to pronounce) had the same idea. I don't know about all of the bioluminescent creatures though... Maybe some of of em, like eels. I would think Whales might be on cthulhu side?

• Like 3

Well, the octopi will definitely need their squid cousins to take on the whales and dolphins, and most likely the Japanese. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Well, the octopi will definitely need their squid cousins to take on the whales and dolphins, and most likely the Japanese. 

I keep wanting to post the link to that Seaworld episode of South Park, but I'm not sure what the rules on swearing are around here. I already got into trouble once for responding to a post about certain unmentionable plants here. F a U whaaarrrres and F a U dolpheeensss! I'm still sending the link to the octopi, because if we can't make sushi and lamp oil out of the whales and dolphins, what use are they?

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Haha 1

Season 11, episode 13:

Edited by Abramelin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:30 PM, UM-Bot said:

It is a well known fact that the humble octopus is clever as far as animals go, but is there a limit to its potential?

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/344623/could-octopuses-one-day-take-over-the-world

They - octopus and squid - have a language of their own, but not a language based on sound, but on colors instead.

The next video is not the one I wanted to show, because I couldn't find it right now. That video showed squids communicating with eachother through swiftly changing colors and color patterns. It was amazing to watch.

Ok, so the next one is the video that at least shows you what these sea creatures can do with the colors of their skin:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smanthaonvaca said:

I love how this one was in the suggestions.

If octopus were in consideration for ruling the world, they may need some more help on their side. I think the blue whale would be on their side, but the sperm whale and orcas would be on cthulhu's side. I could see plankton (especially phyto), shellfish, krill, turtles, manatees, moon jellyfish, eels, starfish, and some cephalopods (class) and mollusca (phylum) on the krakens side.

I would be choosing them based on some biological similarities (like number of appendages for krill) but mostly because of how they function in their ecosystem. I see pretty cool but less vicious animals (manatees, conch and turtles) to fit in here.

I am unsure about lobsters and dolphins... Would waterfowl be included, or are they out of this war?

I'm getting pretty serious about this. Lol

Cthulhu:

Manowar, crab, box jelly, flying fish, sperm whale, swordfish, mako shark, hammerhead shark, puffer fish, seals, manta ray, crocodile, barnacle, narwhal.

5 minutes ago, smanthaonvaca said:

Cthulhu:

Manowar, crab, box jelly, flying fish, sperm whale, swordfish, mako shark, hammerhead shark, puffer fish, seals, manta ray, crocodile, barnacle, narwhal.

The very first time I was in Brazil, in Pernambuco state, I was walking along the beach one morning and I see this very bright fluorescent pink thing on the beach a few yards in front of me. It was a jellyfish. I took a wide berth around it and that was when I decided there was no way I was going in the water there. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii