Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vatican pleads poverty, begs for donations

Eldorado

https://nationalpost.com/news/wealth-of-roman-catholic-church-impossible-to-calculate

716,290 The amount of Church-owned land, in square kilometres, across the globe — an area slightly bigger than Alberta. Properties include Vatican embassies, churches, cathedrals, monasteries, some schools and convents.

Between that and their numerous 'priceless' works of art, 50 million euros a year seemingly should be able to be taken care of for many years/decades.

• Like 6

Maybe the pope should go up in a tower and tell everyone that god said he cannot come  down from the tower until his donors have donated 8 million dollars.  Oh, wait, someone already did that.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/wealth-of-roman-catholic-church-impossible-to-calculate

Between that and their numerous 'priceless' works of art, 50 million euros a year seemingly should be able to be taken care of for many years/decades.

I was going to say,if they're so skint,why not sell a priceless work of art for 50 million billion squillion quid.

• Like 8

Well that's what you get for systematically covering up pedophile priests for decades, hope those kids get some succor from their payouts...

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Vatican admits it has nearly depleted its financial reserves and pleads for more donations from the faithful

The Vatican warned that it has nearly depleted its financial reserves from past donations to cover budget deficits over recent years, as it urged continued giving from the faithful to keep the Holy See afloat and Pope Francis' ministry going.

The Vatican published its 2021 budget in its latest effort at greater financial transparency amid a predicted 50 million euro budget deficit this year.

The aim is to reassure donors that their money is being well spent, following years of mismanagement that is currently the focus of a Vatican corruption investigation.

UK Mail

They are one of the Worlds largest land owners ,why don't they sell some . Poverty is when you only have $5 and the bill comes to $6 .

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

covering up pedophile priests for decades

Yes, that was their sin.

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Poverty is when you only have $5 and the bill comes to $6 .

If I only had $5 I would check the prices before ordering.  And find out if that includes VAT or service charges.

And when did you start using dollars in Wiltshire?

Three years ago we nearly moved to Devizes, but didn't.  True story.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, Eldorado said:

Vatican admits it has nearly depleted its financial reserves and pleads for more donations from the faithful

The Vatican warned that it has nearly depleted its financial reserves from past donations to cover budget deficits over recent years, as it urged continued giving from the faithful to keep the Holy See afloat and Pope Francis' ministry going.

The Vatican published its 2021 budget in its latest effort at greater financial transparency amid a predicted 50 million euro budget deficit this year.

The aim is to reassure donors that their money is being well spent, following years of mismanagement that is currently the focus of a Vatican corruption investigation.

UK Mail

Sounds like they need to start selling off some of those papal properties scattered all over the world, and start auctioning off some of the art and such they are sitting on in their various properties. Anyone interested in observatories in Arizona, or a Raphael or DaVinci, or Vergil's Aeneid or the Divine Comedy perhaps? Maybe some accoutrements in gold and jewels?

Kind of laughable to cry poverty when the Catholic church is the largest non-government land owner in the world, and holder of a whole lotta expensive stuff. They just need to liquidate some assets. 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, rashore said:

Sounds like they need to start selling off some of those papal properties scattered all over the world, and start auctioning off some of the art and such they are sitting on in their various properties. Anyone interested in observatories in Arizona, or a Raphael or DaVinci, or Vergil's Aeneid or the Divine Comedy perhaps? Maybe some accoutrements in gold and jewels?

Kind of laughable to cry poverty when the Catholic church is the largest non-government land owner in the world, and holder of a whole lotta expensive stuff. They just need to liquidate some assets. 

They have done some of that.  The chapel with the miracle staircase and the nunnery in Santa Fe now belong to a hotel chain that uses it as a tourist trap.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

They have done some of that.  The chapel with the miracle staircase and the nunnery in Santa Fe now belong to a hotel chain that uses it as a tourist trap.

Hi Desertrat

So it's a strip joint now?:lol:

jmccr8

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

So it's a strip joint now?:lol:

jmccr8

No, it is a tourist destination, "See the miracle staircase" for a fee.    When the church owned it anyone could come and they could give a donation if they wanted to.  The history was more interesting then too, the people were more knowledgable than the hired help that mans it now.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

No, it is a tourist destination, "See the miracle staircase" for a fee.    When the church owned it anyone could come and they could give a donation if they wanted to.  The history was more interesting then too, the people were more knowledgable than the hired help that mans it now.

Hi Desertrat

I was joking.

jmccr8

9 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

I was joking.

jmccr8

Oh, ok.   It seemed like a joke but made no sense in context to the conversation to me.  I have a friend who  annoys me with weird "joking" comments about what is being talked about (usually his mind goes to one word someone says and he blurts out some gamer or movie reference that makes no sense to the rest of us).  And I never think a misogynist joke is funny.  (though that is the way my  mind works, you don't see many strip joints that women go to to watch men get naked, women have to hire a special party package to get that)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

The legend on the stair case is that an old man came one day  looking for work. I forgot how  they say he built the staircase, but he did.  And then the old man left. The sisters,(think it was the Sisters of Loretto)  thought that the old man was St.Joseph , father of Jesus(his human one)  who was a carpenter and that he built it in answer to some prayers.

As a Catholic, get tired of all the dunning letters for money for the missions.Don't get me wrong, I do send something when i can afford it to help  poor families here and abroad through  the religious orders. But then somehow you wind up on every charities mailing list, catholic or not, and every one has their hand out. If the vatican had ordered bishops to turn  pedo priests and other clergy, including any nuns over to the police, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. nO SYMPATHY FOR THE vATICAN HERE.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

My apologies didn't mean to offend you.

jmccr8

I was not offended.   I do have triggers though and I express what comes up sometimes.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HollyDolly said:

The legend on the stair case is that an old man came one day  looking for work. I forgot how  they say he built the staircase, but he did.  And then the old man left. The sisters,(think it was the Sisters of Loretto)  thought that the old man was St.Joseph , father of Jesus(his human one)  who was a carpenter and that he built it in answer to some prayers.

As a Catholic, get tired of all the dunning letters for money for the missions.Don't get me wrong, I do send something when i can afford it to help  poor families here and abroad through  the religious orders. But then somehow you wind up on every charities mailing list, catholic or not, and every one has their hand out. If the vatican had ordered bishops to turn  pedo priests and other clergy, including any nuns over to the police, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. nO SYMPATHY FOR THE vATICAN HERE.

The original story never mentioned his age but seemed to indicate he was not old or young.  He was an experienced carpenter.   The nuns had a lot of problems with the conventional staircase that had been built when the chapel was built and had prayed for someone to provide a solution to their stair case problems.   One day out of the blue (supposedly) a man showed up with a wagon load of wood and carpenters tools.  He built the spiral staircase that is in the chapel now, without hand rails.  Once the job was finished he left.  No one knew where he came from or where he went.   Later, when priest got older and could not go down the stair case safely someone added a hand rail.  It is a beautiful chapel and worth a visit if you are ever in Santa Fe.  There is another old church in that area as well.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretto_Chapel

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, spud the mackem said:

They are one of the Worlds largest land owners ,why don't they sell some . Poverty is when you only have $5 and the bill comes to $6 .

In 2001 a German social scientists tried to figure out the assets of the RCC in Germany. As the RCC didnt/dont provide any data, he used the land ownership records the nazis made untill 1945. His calculations have shown that, based on the 1945`s records and calculated to actual values, the RCC had a fortune in 2001 of 270B Euro. Thats quite a lot but the number does not include the assets the RCC acquired in between 1945 and 2001. Above all, the RCC is the largest landowner in Germany.

I have no sympathy and no mercy for this criminal clan, for various but known reasons.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I remembered the legend, but had forgotten about the ownership change. Thanks for reminding me :) 

And not really quoting you directly, but some fun land facts with the church. Some land perspective. 

Vatican City is about 100 acres of land. The Church owns around 175,000,000 acres of land. A bit more than the size of Texas, at a bit shy of 172,000,000. Austin, the seat of Texas, is about 175,000 acres. A ranch in Texas can easily be 100 acres. So imagine if one ranch in Texas owned the whole state worth of properties all over the world amounting to the size of Texas, along with a huge wealth of art and artifacts. And still getting donations to support all that, just not like they used to... 

Time to liquidate more. Nothing against the Church itself on my behalf. But if any corporation, country, person, church, ect had built that much assets and cried poverty instead of selling off and restructuring first.. well, pthhthtt to that :P If they don't have the personnel to staff- and this is practitioners and parishioners- then they don't. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rashore said:

I remembered the legend, but had forgotten about the ownership change. Thanks for reminding me :) 

And not really quoting you directly, but some fun land facts with the church. Some land perspective. 

Vatican City is about 100 acres of land. The Church owns around 175,000,000 acres of land. A bit more than the size of Texas, at a bit shy of 172,000,000. Austin, the seat of Texas, is about 175,000 acres. A ranch in Texas can easily be 100 acres. So imagine if one ranch in Texas owned the whole state worth of properties all over the world amounting to the size of Texas, along with a huge wealth of art and artifacts. And still getting donations to support all that, just not like they used to... 

Time to liquidate more. Nothing against the Church itself on my behalf. But if any corporation, country, person, church, ect had built that much assets and cried poverty instead of selling off and restructuring first.. well, pthhthtt to that :P If they don't have the personnel to staff- and this is practitioners and parishioners- then they don't. 

Trying to give Bill Gates some competition? 

There's a new King in town... 

3 days ago — Elon Musk has a new title at Tesla: “Technoking.” The electric automaker announced the head-scratching ...

www.wsj.com
Elon Musk Is the New 'Technoking of Tesla' and CFO Is Dubbed ...
2 days ago — Tesla Inc. TSLA 3.68% said Chief Executive Elon Musk has changed his title at the company to “Technoking of Tesla,” extending an irreverent streak in the 49-year-old's leadership of the electric-vehicle maker. The company also said Chief Financial Officer Zach Kirkhorn will have the title of “Master of Coin.”

~

• Like 2

And its not only because of the indescribable amounts of money they have harvested during the last 2k years by means of exploitation of the poor as well. Its also about the fact that their jurisprudence is nearly separated from public jurisprudence. There was and there still is abuse of subordinates and minors but the Pope seems to be the only and final "judge" for crimes within the RCC community of leaders, with the power to show and grand mercy with a snap of the fingers to individuals who would spend years in jail in the real world. Hell, its 2021 already and humanity does not need any kind of "guidance" by such a gang. Yes, I`m p***ed.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1