Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No more solitary at Rikers Island?

Eldorado

Even with Rikers Island under renewed scrutiny for prisoner neglect and abuses, a transgender prisoner named Layleen Polanco died there in a tragic way — from an epileptic seizure, alone in a dingy cell.

Outrage over Polanco’s 2019 death in solitary confinement at the notorious New York City jail complex, one of the world's largest, helped set the stage for a proposed ban on an age-old disciplinary practice that prisoner advocates have long seen as barbaric.

This week, officials unveiled reforms that Mayor Bill de Blasio asserts add up to a groundbreaking abolishment of punishing unruly prisoners by isolating them.

Full article at the CT Post: Link

• Like 1

Sometimes, when people are trying to kill or cause great physical pain on a regular basis to someone else, that is the safest place for them. It probably saved my nephew's life when he was in jail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope this works and people aren't driven crazy from total isolation anymore.  It wouldn't surprise me if De Blah Blah shut it down altogether and let the poor, misunderstood waifs free with some cash and a new suit...  I hear he want's to take Pepe Le Pew's job once he gets kicked out.  

It will be interesting to see how this strategy works in the coming years.  I know nothing of being in prison, thank God, but I hope there is a replacement for this isolation for prisoners who would die in general population.  Perhaps isolation types could be taught to do a little gardening in their 10 hours outside the cell, daily?  In many prisons, the inmates grow most of the fresh food they consume.  

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Sometimes, when people are trying to kill or cause great physical pain on a regular basis to someone else, that is the safest place for them. It probably saved my nephew's life when he was in jail.

Long-term isolation would be horrible but being sexually abused, beaten or tortured would be much worse, IMO.  I'm not a very forgiving person where the abuse of the helpless is concerned.  It should be a policy that anyone caught brutalizing another inmate be removed, permanently.  But that's just me...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, and then said:

Long-term isolation would be horrible but being sexually abused, beaten or tortured would be much worse, IMO.  I'm not a very forgiving person where the abuse of the helpless is concerned.  It should be a policy that anyone caught brutalizing another inmate be removed, permanently.  But that's just me...

My nephew was a wussy that was convicted for seven years for manufacturing and selling meth over state lines. I told my idiot sister not to flaunt their money wearing all her bling to go visit him. Of course, she did anyway. A couple of the other inmates started beating him on a daily basis...blackmailing them. I don't know the details, because I was so furious when she came crying to me, we didn't talk anymore.

They put my nephew in solitary to keep him safe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, and then said:

I hear he want's to take Pepe Le Pew's job once he gets kicked out.  

Be nice poor lil pepe was kicked out of the new space jams flick for his cavalier antics.