Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas beekeeper rescues a nest of bees, viral video

Still Waters

Texas beekeeper Erika Thompson rescued a nest of bees that had been stuck under the floorboards of a garden shed for over two years, in a video that has since gone viral.

Since posting the video online on Friday, it has been viewed over 1.5 million times on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-56396914

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The crocodile hunter of bees

• Haha 1

I've seen this video popping up everywhere. I get it. It is pretty amazing, and she's easy on the eyes too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honey bees are basically gentle little bugs and only sting to protect themselves or their queen. I have handled them off and on since I was a kid and we had hives on the family farm. A few years ago we were camping and a huge swarm of bees came into the campground and people freaked out. They were talking about burning them or something. I just walked over to the low tree limb that they had swarmed on and settled down for the evening and slipped my hand and arm into the mass of bees. I felt around till I found the queen and then gently eased her off the limb. I had my Granddaughter with me and her eyes were as big as turkey eggs. I stood still and let them swarm onto me and then carried them out of the campground and into the woods where I found them a new place to spend the night. Neither I nor my Granddaughter was stung a single time and everyone was just amazed but it isn't anything special it is just knowing and understanding the nature of the blond Italian honey bee. The black Spanish bees are a little more feisty but still can be handled. Had it been Spanish bees I would have put my hair up and worn a hat.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That was Entirely Pleasant.  Thank You. 

I Taste a liquor Never Brewed

by Emily Dickinson 

I taste a liquor never brewed,
From tankards scooped in pearl;
Not all the vats upon the Rhine
Yield such an alcohol!

Inebriate of air am I,
And debauchee of dew,
Reeling, through endless summer days,
From inns of molten blue.

When landlords turn the drunken bee
Out of the foxglove's door,
When butterflies renounce their drams,
I shall but drink the more!

Till seraphs swing their snowy hats,
And saints to windows run,
To see the little tippler
Leaning against the sun!

On 3/27/2021 at 6:10 PM, DanL said:

Honey bees are basically gentle little bugs and only sting to protect themselves or their queen. I have handled them off and on since I was a kid and we had hives on the family farm. A few years ago we were camping and a huge swarm of bees came into the campground and people freaked out. They were talking about burning them or something. I just walked over to the low tree limb that they had swarmed on and settled down for the evening and slipped my hand and arm into the mass of bees. I felt around till I found the queen and then gently eased her off the limb. I had my Granddaughter with me and her eyes were as big as turkey eggs. I stood still and let them swarm onto me and then carried them out of the campground and into the woods where I found them a new place to spend the night. Neither I nor my Granddaughter was stung a single time and everyone was just amazed but it isn't anything special it is just knowing and understanding the nature of the blond Italian honey bee. The black Spanish bees are a little more feisty but still can be handled. Had it been Spanish bees I would have put my hair up and worn a hat.

They are.  My grandmother kept bees and I’ve only been stung once in my life — when I was careless running barefoot through the clover in her lawn. I deserved it.  Poor honey bee.