Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fortean TV

Saru

We didn't have that show in the U.S. but it has the same tone as Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack.  Just a bit more of the weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

We didn't have that show in the U.S. but it has the same tone as Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack.  Just a bit more of the weird.

Yeah it was certainly weird - Fanthorpe would even sing a song about one of the mysteries featured in each episode.

Sadly I don't think we got Unsolved Mysteries over here - first time I saw it was the recent Netflix revival.

• Like 3

I watched them all!  ...but it didn't last long. Did they run out of mysteries? :blink:

Lionel Fanthorpe was perfect casting, and a true enthusiast.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

I watched them all, but it didn't last long. Did they run out of mysteries? :blink:

Lionel Fanthorpe was perfect casting, and a true enthusiast.

Yeah, I believe he authored a number of books on several mysteries including the Oak Island money pit and Rennes-le-Chateau.

He's also been in other TV shows, even relatively recently, according to his page on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Fanthorpe

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Saru said:

Sadly I don't think we got Unsolved Mysteries over here - first time I saw it was the recent Netflix revival.

We've had Unsolved Mysteries in recent years on CBS Reality and CBS Drama, but probably 20+ years late. 

In fact, it's on CBS Drama in 15 minutes!

https://www.cbsdrama.tv/uk/shows.php?title=unsolved+mysteries

Edited by acute

2 minutes ago, acute said:

We've had Unsolved Mysteries in recent years on CBS Reality and (occasionally) CBS Drama, but probably 20+ years late. 

https://www.cbsdrama.tv/uk/

Didn't even know that channel existed. :lol:

• Haha 3

I remember watching them, his presenting style was unique but highly entertaining. :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, acute said:

We've had Unsolved Mysteries in recent years on CBS Reality and CBS Drama, but probably 20+ years late. 

I think Netflix has a new show called Unsolved Mysteries, but it is different, only focus' on one case and it is always a crime.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think Netflix has a new show called Unsolved Mysteries, but it is different, only focus' on one case and it is always a crime.

Yes, Saru mentioned it, above.

Unfortunately, I don't have Netflix. :hmm:

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The new one is just crimes, but the original one with Robert Stack was fun because it had all sorts of other strangeness besides just crime. 

If folks can get PlutoTV (its free), that has the original Unsolved Mysteries as a channel- and it's also dubbed in Spanish on a Latino channel too. Pluto has a paranormal channel too that sometimes has some fun shows on it. 

I remember In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy from years ago, haven't caught that remake yet. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rashore said:

The new one is just crimes, but the original one with Robert Stack was fun because it had all sorts of other strangeness besides just crime. 

If folks can get PlutoTV (its free), that has the original Unsolved Mysteries as a channel- and it's also dubbed in Spanish on a Latino channel too. Pluto has a paranormal channel too that sometimes has some fun shows on it. 

I remember In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy from years ago, haven't caught that remake yet. 

Thanks.  I was wondering what was on Pluto.   I think I will check it out.  I loved those old Unsolved Mysteries shows.   There was another one with Leonard Nimoy as the narrator and I can't remember what it was called.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Thanks.  I was wondering what was on Pluto.   I think I will check it out.  I loved those old Unsolved Mysteries shows.

There's a whole bunch of stuff, I think most of it might be out of syndication. I've been on a cooking show jag recently and enjoying Brit cooking shows :)  But they have 4-6 crime series channels, some history stuff, drama, sitcoms, sports.. I've laughed at the old game show channel too, they stuff they said/did back in the 60-70's that wouldn't fly today on tv... whew. They have news channels too that are current news and a few music channels too. Not too bad for free TV. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I bought the Fortean Times every month until the internet drove the magazine stand down the street out of business. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, rashore said:

The Netflix revival series has one episode about UFOs and one episode about ghosts, but all the rest of the episodes are crime cases.

I believe there was quite a bit of criticism about the lack of paranormal-themed episodes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

There was another one with Leonard Nimoy as the narrator and I can't remember what it was called.

It was In Search of ... That show was also aired in the UK

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074007/

Another was Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acute said:

That's the right show acute but that's actor Dennis Farina. He took over after Robert Stack died. Some of the old Robert Stack shows are on YouTube.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rashore said:

I remember In Search Of. That was a good show.I didn't know there was a remake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

That's the right show acute but that's actor Dennis Farina. He took over after Robert Stack died. Some of the old Robert Stack shows are on YouTube.

I'll take a look. :tu:

We don't get the Robert Stack ones, only Dennis Farina.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I actually just discovered the Fortean Times magazine a few years ago. I found it at the local library and they had a lot of issues. I was looking up a few interesting articles I read in it to put on here, but I couldn't find any internet references. It goes to show when it comes to hard knowledge how much is still only contained in books and physical writing. I might have to order a subscription to this.

Some of these articles I had an interest were: Sigmund Freud and how Carl Jung witnessed him going crazy worshiping his idols and making wishes to them. A cult of early American followers of the new Krishna movement in the 1940's around Charles Manson's neighborhood and how he blew himself up with dynamite and another follower over a love triangle. A Rosicrucian era scientist and his unique theories about the planets. 

• 9 months later...

Unsolved Mysteries was a great show.  I used to tune in every week back in the day.  They do have most of the episodes available on Amazon Prime video, but I can’t remember if you had to subscribe to an add-on.  I just binged them all not too long ago.  Good, good stuff.  

16 hours ago, diabolique616 said:

Unsolved Mysteries was a great show.  I used to tune in every week back in the day.  They do have most of the episodes available on Amazon Prime video, but I can’t remember if you had to subscribe to an add-on.  I just binged them all not too long ago.  Good, good stuff.  

You can watch them on Tubi, which is free, also I think the Roku channel.

You can watch the Stack Episodes on YouTube.