Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are guardian angels real?

Eldorado

In the Old Testament, the Book of Psalms speaks of God sending forth his angels to protect those whom he loves.

Tom Meyer, a professor in Bible studies at Shasta Bible College and Graduate School in California, US, has now told Express.co.uk how the scripture comes together to support a heartbreaking 19th-century ghost story attributed to the American physician Silas Weir Mitchell (1829 to 1914).

As the story goes, Dr Mitchell was approached by a little girl dressed from head-to-toe in rags on a particularly cold and bitter night looking for help.

Full story at MSN: Link

• Like 5

Being a Spiritualist sympathiser, I believe in Guardian Angels.

Mediums say there are 3 spirit guides with each of us:  A 'main guide', a 'guardian angel', and a 'gatekeeper'.

I have been in grave situations when the perfect person to help has turned up out of nowhere.  Maybe these encounters were coordinated by my Guardian Angel for my protection. B)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely.

As real as cats and dogs

Not sure about the  specific categorisations

Angels are possibly avatars or manifestations of god.

The y appear in a form suited to their purpose.

Thus, one which comes to educate you (a messenger) might take a different form to one which comes to protect you. and one which comes to empower you might have a different form, again.

Personally I perceive them as agents of the cosmic consciousness. It is "the mind" and they are the "body" which acts on it's will. 

"They" (or perhaps it)  have been with me since birth, although I only really became aware of them after "enlightenment, " and contact with the cosmic consciousness, aged 13.

They physically protected me all my life, but my first, full blown, physical contact,  intervention, and healing, wasn't until I was about 22.

• Like 2

I don't think there's any doubt that guardian angels are just as real as all other angels.:yes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sure they are real...in the minds of the believers.

Edit to add,

Since Billy Graham has questionable integrity and credibility due to his own personal issues is there any evidence the lil dead girl in rags with sick mum story is not made up, do we for example have moms name and a death record for her child?

Edited by the13bats
  • Thanks 1

My grandmother would use the expression "your/her guardian angel was watching out" and i took it more as a mind set like saying "i got lucky" not like some angelic entity was involved, because if there are then why do they let most people come to harm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't think there's any doubt that guardian angels are just as real as all other angels.:yes:

There isn’t a person in my life who hasn’t  been an angel to me or others. My husband is an angel so are my best friends, my therapist is an angel she showed up in my life at the perfect time all my angels, even the people I have challenges with I see them as catalysts for some very profound inner growth for me. I think everyone/ anyone is capable of compassion and empathy and kindness and honesty.. I love caregiving for this reason one literally signs up to be an angel (symbolic for coming from kindness and compassion as a job). I get to care for and spend time with some amazing souls. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

There isn’t a person in my life who hasn’t  been an angel to me or others. My husband is an angel so are my best friends, my therapist is an angel she showed up in my life at the perfect time all my angels, even the people I have challenges with I see them as catalysts for some very profound inner growth for me. I think everyone/ anyone is capable of compassion and empathy and kindness and honesty.. I love caregiving for this reason one literally signs up to be an angel (symbolic for coming from kindness and compassion as a job). I get to care for and spend time with some amazing souls. 

I imagine a lot of people see you as their angel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

I imagine a lot of people see you as their angel.

Thank you for your kind words. 

I enjoy my path immensely. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Some souls are sent back into the world to earn their "wings" and become Eloihim--Angels. They have no knowledge of their true selves, anymore than any soul does in mortal guise. By their fruits ye shall know them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

is there any evidence the lil dead girl in rags with sick mum story is not made up, do we for example have moms name and a death record for her child?

Apparently not. The provenance of the story is itself very hazy, much less the truth or falsehood of its fact claims.

Mitchell was a celebrity in his time, a pioneer in biomedical research, an effective practicing physician and a popular author of non-fiction, fiction and poetry. I haven't done a full work-up of this story, but its public version appears to have been a story told about Mitchell the celebrity by somebody else and then published. Mitchell may or may not have told the anecdote himself orally, and if he did, it may or may not have been the polished "campfire tale" version in the OP.

There also appears to be a subtlety. In at least some versions, the sick woman was not a stranger to Mitchell, but rather a former domestic employee of his. Plausibly, then, the girl would also be somebody Mitchell had met while she was alive, and the identifying shawl something he had seen her wear. Viewed in this light, the story may be an example of the "crisis hallucination" category where unconscious contents take on a personal "form" who guides the conscious person to resolve a life-or-death crisis. This one would be unusual in that the hallucinating person isn't the one in danger, but the psychology could be similar.

Mitchell was sophisticated in psychology for his time, famous for investigating such "mysteries of the mind" as phantom-limb pain among amputees and developing a strategy for managing neurotic symptoms (the "rest cure"). If any version of the anecdote is grounded in lived experience, it is plausible that Mitchell might recognize it as a possible hallucination rather than the "ghost story" it became once it was widely published.

Finally, although the "guardian angel" interpretation appears relatively original with the Bible college professor of the OP article, intervention by some intelligent, otherwise invisible "power" is a fairly frequent pseudo-explanation of crisis hallucinations. If you believe in angels, devils and demons (oh, my), then there's no surprise when an angel is your intelligent invisible power of choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thank you eight bits, while the first part of your reply confirms for me the lil dead girl is just an embellished story and i have heard many like it.

Your GA interpretation sounds very good and fits with my thoughts some "believers" of paranormal need to feel special and a person who has their own angel save their life is pretty darn special.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Finally, although the "guardian angel" interpretation appears relatively original with the Bible college professor of the OP article, intervention by some intelligent, otherwise invisible "power" is a fairly frequent pseudo-explanation of crisis hallucinations. If you believe in angels, devils and demons (oh, my), then there's no surprise when an angel is your intelligent invisible power of choice.

They are created the same way as "Spirit Helpers".

"Subconscious Thoughtforms" created under duress. 

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

Since Billy Graham has questionable integrity and credibility due to his own personal issues is there any evidence the lil dead girl in rags with sick mum story is not made up, do we for example have moms name and a death record for her child?

My thoughts exactly. It's probably completely made up. 

7 hours ago, acute said:

Being a Spiritualist sympathiser, I believe in Guardian Angels.

I believe a soul has 2 parts and sometimes a family member's "Earth Soul" sticks around to help. My sister won't shut up in my head about her son and grandsons who I'm now helping out. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

As real as cats and dogs

* other nonsense snipped*

If they were as real as cats and dogs then their objective existence would be able to be confirmed by science in the same manner.

They cannot be, thus they are not.

Also: prove that they are as real as you describe. Your irrelevant anecdotes mean nothing to me. Give me objective evidence that confirm their existence in the same manner as cats and dogs.

You can't, thus just another item to add to the pile of Walker nonsense.

still don't believe you tho

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are created the same way as "Spirit Helpers".

"Subconscious Thoughtforms" created under duress. 

My thoughts exactly. It's probably completely made up. 

I believe a soul has 2 parts and sometimes a family member's "Earth Soul" sticks around to help. My sister won't shut up in my head about her son and grandsons who I'm now helping out. 

Im with you on it,  the part of grandmother that remained is in my head and never strays far.

• Like 4

Yes, I am fairly confident that there are 'entities' that could be described as Guardian Angels. I think they are most active when we are in our teens because of the frequency of the dangers some of us put ourselves in during those years.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Yes, I am fairly confident that there are 'entities' that could be described as Guardian Angels. I think they are most active when we are in our teens because of the frequency of the dangers some of us put ourselves in during those years.

I would be totally delighted if you are correct, the world would be far better place if we had autonomous entities looking out for us, writers like john keel suggest it they just dont call them "angels",

From about 16 to 22 i had several things happen that could have hurt me badly or been deadly, i just called it "luck".

• Like 3

21 hours ago, the13bats said:

My grandmother would use the expression "your/her guardian angel was watching out" and i took it more as a mind set like saying "i got lucky" not like some angelic entity was involved, because if there are then why do they let most people come to harm.

Perhaps because those people either can not, or will not hear/listen to  the angels.

It is a good question and I don't know the answer, but the other side of the coin is why do such angels save, protect, guide, and empower, some humans and not none?

Ps I am not sure about "most"

A big percentage  of humans seem to have at least one experience where an angel intervenes in their life,  and that is just those  who  recognise and attribute such an intervention.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I would be totally delighted if you are correct, the world would be far better place if we had autonomous entities looking out for us, writers like john keel suggest it they just dont call them "angels",

From about 16 to 22 i had several things happen that could have hurt me badly or been deadly, i just called it "luck".

Maybe it was or maybe you  were being protected.

Unless one of them stops to give you an explanation, you might never know for sure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

If they were as real as cats and dogs then their objective existence would be able to be confirmed by science in the same manner.

They cannot be, thus they are not.

Also: prove that they are as real as you describe. Your irrelevant anecdotes mean nothing to me. Give me objective evidence that confirm their existence in the same manner as cats and dogs.

You can't, thus just another item to add to the pile of Walker nonsense.

still don't believe you tho

I believe it can, and will eventfully, be confirmed by science, as our science reaches the levels required to detect a being from  a civilization whose technology is far in advance of our own.

You wont have objective evidence until you encounter one and can analyse the evidences for yourself.    

Basically they  can be touched and touch.

They can be seen and heard.

They can alter things in the real environment.

The y leave traces behind them. 

Your disbelief is irrelevant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

Basically they  can be touched and touch.

They can be seen and heard.

They can alter things in the real environment.

The y leave traces behind them. 

Prove it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Prove it

They prove themselves.

Just like a real cat proves its different to an imaginary cat.  

Imaginary cats dont bring mice into the house, play with them, then let them go   :) 

If you  haven't encountered one, no proofs will suffice. Once you  do, you will have your proofs. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Just now, Mr Walker said:

They prove themselves.

Just like a real cat proves its different to an imaginary cat.  

Imaginary cats dont bring mice into the house, play with them, then let them go   :) 

So you can't prove it.

OK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

So you can't prove it.

OK.

Never said that.

Do you own a dog or a cat?

Can you  prove that to me, if i choose not to believe you, or any of the evidences you provide ? 

Prove to me what you ate for your last meal  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2