Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are guardian angels real?

Eldorado

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

It is here too. 

ignore

/ɪɡˈnɔː/

Learn to pronounce

verb

refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.

"he ignored her outraged question"

But did you check eBay? There might be something there that contradicts the actual meaning...... :unsure2:

The UM definition is to utilize the site feature to ignore. Mr. Walker isn't the only one who chose not to honor Saru's request that they do so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

But did you check eBay? There might be something there that contradicts the actual meaning...... :unsure2:

Maybe you didn't pay attention to self professed "great teacher"

50 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

In Australian language, to ignore, means to take no note of, and to take no action on

:D

~

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The UM definition is to utilize the site feature to ignore. Mr. Walker isn't the only one who chose not to honor Saru's request that they do so.

But what about eBay!!!!!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Maybe you didn't pay attention to self professed "great teacher"

:D

~

Must be a different Australia to the one I live in..... :unsure2:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, according to the perpetrator, the function "failed" and did not ignore like it was designed for. 

I believed he meant "inexplicably" too, if not implied. 

~

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Guilty as charged.

I do feel guilty for not entirely honoring the request. Technically he was on ignore, but I saw a quote where some kind of a "report" or "assessment" was mentioned and curiosity got the better of me. Defeated the entire purpose.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Guilty as charged.

I do feel guilty for not entirely honoring the request. Technically he was on ignore, but I saw a quote where some kind of a "report" or "assessment" was mentioned and curiosity got the better of me. Defeated the entire purpose.

It was a good add to, I learned from it. :wub:

10 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

But what about eBay!!!!!

My refurbished Dell Latitude works fine--especially after installing a DVD ROM drive and four more Gigs of RAM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

It was a good add to, I learned from it. :wub:

I'm glad you learned something. :)

Still, I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that I didn't completely follow through with the request.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Well, according to the perpetrator, the function "failed" and did not ignore like it was designed for. 

I believed he meant "inexplicably" too, if not implied. 

~

Ha ha ha ha ha and the ignore feature light beam typed a whole page too. :P

• Haha 3

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

Still, I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that I didn't completely follow through with the request.

Careful! Youi common sense is showing!:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I had Walker on ignore too, a few times and then took him off. I saw it as an opportunity for personal growth and used it to explore my own triggers to my surprise Walker no longer bothers me. 

The only reason I am on ignore, loosely is because MW is upset over a constructive critique and instead of being accountable for his own human flaws, inconsistencies, confabulations and awful memory etc he decides to be a victim of the evil 3rd that he has constructed in his own mind and is angry and offended instead. :D

He will get over it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tashmarie

Those examples.

About 20 years ago one of my students about 14 years old came tome to see if could "find" her mobile phone. 

I said, "It is in a bag on top of the lockers in your room Then I described  the bag

The girl who had "lost " the phone turned to her friend and said "you B....h."

Turned out her friend had taken the phone and hidden it in her own bag as a "joke"

The girls who had lost it recognised the description of her friends bag and knew immediately what had happened .

Then, about 5 years ago, I found a purse with considerable monies in it for a woman who had los tit while garage saleing.   He r daughter came to me and asked if I could find a precious keepsake.

Her grandfather had given her a large gold nugget that he had found  prospecting She had put it on a chain and wore it, but had "lost" it  while living in Darwin.

I said "it is in a large canvas duffle bag" in a dark place 

That immediately caused her to recall that while she had been out camping and hiking  she had taken  it off and placed it with items in the bag that also contained other camping things

.The sad part was that she then told me that the bag had been left behind in her flat in a wardrobe  in Darwin, when she moved.

She had already asked her  ex flat mates to go through it, and the y claimed the y had found nothing.

However, she now membered  putting it there, and we both concluded her flat mates had found and kept it, as it was of considerable value.

Nonetheless she was pleased to know what had happened 

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Got psyche on ignore but I saw his  definitions in your post 

It is exactly what I said 

That is exactly how I applied the ignore,  and how I defined it 

Ie you may hear or read a comment, but still totally ignore it  

I've explained that I will not ignore posts which break the rules, or even the law of defamation in Australia 

Its unrealistic  to be asked not to look a t comments from  others.

If one did that, how could one report  posts that were vicious, or trolling, or broke the rules.

It would make a farce of the site.

The mods do a good job, but cant check every post, and rely on reports to manage bad (rule breaking)  behaviour 

12 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

You have taken an IQ test?  I did it told me I was a Genius, it was a Facebook test though so I am fairly confident it wasn't very accurate.

My tests were official govt /education dept. ones.

the y took several hours over several days.

I did them every year from  about the age of 16 to 30 or so.

At school they were in the 120s and helped decide what level of class you were in and your eligibility for scholarships etc.

When I began teaching the y reached  135-145.

I then took an academic interest as a teacher  in the; structure,  accuracy, relevance and content of  such tests, and their cultural  appropriateness (I was teaching students from  dozens of countries and cultures and it was clear that this affected  so called IQs  )

After studying the different forms and doing quite a lot of different   types  i attained scores of 185  (which just shows you CAN learn and train to improve your IQ) 

I then taught these skills to my students to improve their chances for better classes, jobs and scholarships.

I improved my students' IQ scores by a minimum of 10 points, and sometimes twice that 

However I have always done  better in some forms of the test than others 

Anything language based I scored very highly.

Mathematics was ok  but those relying on spatial or visual senses I did " less well" on, a s I cant visualise any object in my mind, so I find it hard to answer those questions which use a pattern/sequence of images and ask you to identify the next in the sequence You can work it out logically but it takes a little longer than when you can see it in your mind.  

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

My refurbished Dell Latitude works fine--especially after installing a DVD ROM drive and four more Gigs of RAM.

Restored portable personal computer thanks very much..... :P

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Hi Walker

And yet you replied which is not evidence of ignoring.:D

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Given Mr Walker's age, I'm wondering why you aren't all being kinder to him.

lol I am not sure what you mean except for a traditional respect for age 

I am not even 70 yet, and while a few cognitive skills are not as brilliant as the y once were  :)  they remain better than the average persons (Thats simply statistically true) 

My mind has not been affected by age as in dementia etc and there is no history of that in my family.

We tend to die of heart diseases, and keep excellent cognitive skills, even if we live to be in our nineties 

I do honestly believe that, the way a person responds to you, says more about them, and their psychological make up, than anything else. 

Thus this is the only place in my life where I encounter the personal comments,  negativity and hostility that I cop here.

I think that is because of the nature of some posters,  combined with the anonymity, and lack of consequence for behaviours, found online 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

We share different opinions on the matter, it seems.

Actually I tend to agree with you on this 

We should treat all people equally. However I was also raised in a time where age was respected for its experience and wisdom.

That age has passed in the west  

I open a door for anyone/everyone (and so  do all  the young and older members of my community) .

In my community I receive only thanks  for that, but I have heard of men being  verbally attacked or criticised for opening a door for a woman

I make positive complimentary  comments to everyone, and again that is appreciated where I live, but in  the  media you read how it is wrong to compliment a child or a woman  on her appearance 

I dont use public transport(because we have none)  but I would still give up my seat for any one who looked like the y needed to sit down more than i did 

(Sadly a decreasing proportion of the population)

So, equality, but with regard to individual  differences and needs.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Got psyche on ignore but I saw his  definitions in your post 

It is exactly what I said 

Ie you may hear or read a comment, but still totally ignore it  

I've explained that I will not ignore posts which break the rules, or even the law of defamation in Australia 

Its unrealistic  to be asked not to look a t comments from  others.

If one did that, how could one report  posts that were vicious, or trolling, or broke the rules.

It would make a farce of the site.

The mods do a good job, but cant check every post, and rely on reports to manage bad (rule breaking)  behaviour 

You know exactly what Saru meant by ignore, Mr Walker and you chose to disregard his request. The only one parsing words here is you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You know exactly what Saru meant by ignore, Mr Walker and you chose to disregard his request. The only one parsing words here is you.

I've explained myself.

Don't put words in my mouth or assume you  know what  I know. READ what I wrote.

That is my statement  

I've had this discussion with mods before. One is required to report breaking of the rules   One cannot report rule breaking if one does not read the posts.

In a sense you are asking me to close my eyes to rule breaking.

Thats like saying "Oh if you dont see  the burglar breaking into your neighbour's home   that's ok  because you never look at your neighbour's house. "  or, "We don't see the fights on the school oval because we  don't watch what's going on, on the oval"

Maybe we have a different set of behavioural  expectations or ethical standards but, IMO,  one should NEVER ignore rule breaking or unacceptable behaviours, and "choosing not to see them"  is not an excuse .   

Again, if the mods had the time and patience  to  check every post, that wouldn't be necessary,  but that is not how the forum works.  The y rely on reports to check out a post or poster,    and decide on what to do. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

And yet you replied which is not evidence of ignoring.:D

jmccr8

You will have to be happy with  a reduction of 70% plus.  I can't, and won't, ignore inappropriate posts, lying, trolling, or posts which break the rules. (And, IMO,  no one else should,   either . ) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I've explained myself.

Don't put words in my mouth or assume you  know what  I know. READ what I wrote.

That is my statement  

I've had this discussion with mods before. One is required to report breaking of the rules   One cannot report rule breaking if one does not read the posts.

In a sense you are asking me to close my eyes to rule breaking.

Thats like saying "Oh if you dont see  the burglar breaking into your neighbour's home   that's ok  because you never look at your neighbour's house. "  or, "We don't see the fights on the school oval because we  don't watch what's going on, on the oval"

Maybe we have a different set of behavioural  expectations or ethical standards but, IMO,  one should NEVER ignore rule breaking or unacceptable behaviours, and "choosing not to see them"  is not an excuse .   

Again, if the mods had the time and patience  to  check every post, that wouldn't be necessary,  but that is not how the forum works.  The y rely on reports to check out a post or poster,    and decide on what to do. 

Doesn't change the fact that you chose to ignore his request which was quite rude and ill-mannered, considering we all are guests on his site. What you are doing is agitating to produce posts you can report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

We gamble with other people's lives all the time 

I had a long talk with the student and I  was the student counsellor who would have been the next port of call for him anyway. 

This wasn't much of a gamble and the odds were weighed very heavily against his whole future if I reported It. Instead we developed a good rapport. He never got into trouble He went to another school to complete his education, when his family moved, and eventually  he became a police officer 

Yes,  sometimes you have to read the mind of the thief, but sometimes when you tell the person who owned it where it is, the y know who the thief must have been 

Gotta go to my gym class, but i will give you two examples of this, later. 

Not sure why I neglected to ask previously what happened to the device and why on earth were you making explosive devices? 

I would not say we gamble with peoples lives all the time, I certainly don't think I do.  

Do you ask permission before reading the thiefs mind?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

One is required to report breaking of the rules 

That is not a requirement, I don't see that on the Forum Rules page.

• Like 5