Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1973 tale of a haunted chair

Eldorado

"In the last six years, five people have sat in the murderer's chair. Every single one has met sudden death within hours"

Busby's chair, in a Kirby Wiske pub, was so deadly that they had to lock it in the cellar.

5 minute Video at the BBC archive: Link

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

(I bet it was 'Nationwide' with Tom Coigne, or whatever his name was.

I think a young Sue Lawley took over from him. Not sure though)

Edited by acute

Ive seen this one before and see it kind of like an attention fluff story based on coincidence assuming all claims about it were in fact verified, claims like these have a habit of being hear say and just stories.

Locking it away to keep folks safe is a great safety measure, for the story to keep going because as the chair gained more attention people would sit in it and not met a sudden death and it would ruin the folklore,

Not unlike mr warren locking away his alleged haunted objects to keep people safe, he sure didnt need countless people checking out these items and not being haunted.

• Like 1

Lock it up, hell!  I'd burn it immediately ;) 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, and then said:

Lock it up, hell!  I'd burn it immediately ;) 

It was in the local museum in 2011:Busby Stoop Inn, Kirby, Wiske - Dip.P.I & Dip.Psy Sisters Of The Paranormal (google.com)

It must be dreadful for the owners of the pub to have such an infamous story attached to their otherwise ordinary premises.

Edited by ted hughes
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

It must be dreadful for the owners of the pub to have such an infamous story attached to their otherwise ordinary premises.

Of course it is, just imagine how hard it was for them to get anyone to have a cold one there, surprised they didnt have to close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

It was in the local museum in 2011:Busby Stoop Inn, Kirby, Wiske - Dip.P.I & Dip.Psy Sisters Of The Paranormal (google.com)

I just read your link as i had forgotten details, while a few of the stories like the killer getting hung likely has documentation to back it up most of those tales have no names and are just stories,