Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The US smartphone speed race

Eldorado

Smartphone makers are moving quickly to implement the latest 5G technologies with the aim of improving users’ mobile experience.

Here, Opensignal analyzes our latest real-world data to see if the jump in speeds we anticipated last autumn for Apple and Google users with the arrival of 5G models has happened now that both companies have launched 5G smartphones.

Key takeaways:

• Samsung dominates the rankings for the top 25 fastest 5G smartphone models in the U.S., 60% of models in the list are Samsung. The new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G has the highest U.S. average download speed.

• Apple users see the biggest leap in speeds in 5G areas among smartphone brands — 2.3x faster.

• “Foldable” smartphones are competitive with conventional 5G smartphone designs for cellular speeds, despite the additional complexity of antenna design in “transformable” form factors.

• When there is a 5G iPad, users are set to see a speed boost: today, because 5G-capable iPhone 12 Pro users have speeds 36% faster than current cellular iPad Pro users that are limited to 4G.

Full monty at Open Signal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So far 5G is overrated.
I can barely have good stable connections with 4G, and my country has 99% territory coverage. 
At my MBA classes in logistics (one of the fields supposedly to have a massive big positive impact), the 5G was momentary adressed and even the professor is not excited about it.
Honestly I am not even pleased with 4G, mobile apps are just plain awful, chrome is rubbish, youtube is appalling, mobile devices the same, my overall experience is just bad, even when I have excelent signal and speed.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, godnodog said:

So far 5G is overrated.
I can barely have good stable connections with 4G, and my country has 99% territory coverage. 
At my MBA classes in logistics (one of the fields supposedly to have a massive big positive impact), the 5G was momentary adressed and even the professor is not excited about it.
Honestly I am not even pleased with 4G, mobile apps are just plain awful, chrome is rubbish, youtube is appalling, mobile devices the same, my overall experience is just bad, even when I have excelent signal and speed.

Depends on your carrier.  Also, if your speed is slow, might be time to replace your SIM card.  I am on 5G on the S21, huge difference from the S10+

• Like 1

yes my carrier is bad, but it will not matter if I change it, I just despise mobile devices, I just hate the interface and lame ass interface. For example, my hate increases with every new version of Chrome, but I am forced to use it due to the stupid amount of passwords and integration with particular apps I need to use, I could swear they are making my online experience worse on purpose.

Edited by godnodog
  • Like 1