Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secession within states?

and-then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._county_secession_proposals

First, I want to make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that this is not a topic that touches on any kind of potential violence or chaos.  Anyone who tries to take the discussion in that direction will be assumed to be trying to get the topic shut down.

That said, I've listened to a few YT vids on this topic and didn't realize that it isn't just Texas and Oregon that are working on this kind of realignment.  The link lists 22 states where realignment/secession has been or IS being contemplated due to huge disparities in ideology and governing priorities.  I'm curious to see how this topic is viewed.  Is it an issue that has validity in the 21st Century in the U.S.?  If not, share your opinions of WHY it shouldn't occur.  

43 minutes ago, and then said:

First, I want to make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that this is not a topic that touches on any kind of potential violence or chaos.  Anyone who tries to take the discussion in that direction will be assumed to be trying to get the topic shut down.

That said, I've listened to a few YT vids on this topic and didn't realize that it isn't just Texas and Oregon that are working on this kind of realignment.  The link lists 22 states where realignment/secession has been or IS being contemplated due to huge disparities in ideology and governing priorities.  I'm curious to see how this topic is viewed.  Is it an issue that has validity in the 21st Century in the U.S.?  If not, share your opinions of WHY it shouldn't occur.  

These reorganizations have been occurring within States since the early 1800's, this is nothing new. Many of the states in your link that have reorganized counties, did not do so because of disparities in ideology or because State governing priorities.

So maybe it's me, but I do not get your intended point?

Are you trying to say this is occurring because of different political points view?

If so your going to need to provide a better source of information, because the link you provided doesn't specifically state that, and I read the entire source you provided.

• Like 1

Fifty-odd instances over 200 years isn't really a growing movement. A bunch of those listed are already dead issues. 

There's also the fun things like urban succession, where a city can succeed from a county to become a consolidated city-county or an independent city. There can also be township succession from one educational district to join another, or townships wanting to succeed from larger cities to become their own municipal entities.  Bunches of municipal detachment have happened. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hope Texas succeeds soon, so Mexico can absorb them, ASAP.

Their God and guns philosophy is best suited to the Mexican drug cartel philosophy. It’s practically a match made in Hell.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

I hope Texas succeeds soon, so Mexico can absorb them, ASAP.

Their God and guns philosophy is best suited to the Mexican drug cartel philosophy. It’s practically a match made in Hell.

No thanks.   That would make the border even longer.   I like Texas.  

On topic:

It doesn't really fir the description all the way, but many counties in states have designated themselves sanctuary counties that will not abide by new gun restrictions.

There are the five counties in Oregon that will be voting in May on if they want to continue to be part of Oregon or join with Idaho to form Greater Idaho.  Heard some counties in Washington are considering it too.

It does create an interesting problem and one that is unlikely to be resolved.  In a lot of deep blue states only the urban centers are blue while the rural areas are red.  The rural areas feel they have no real say or control in these state government and want to be in a state that more closely aligns with their values and where they feel they have a voice.  The problem is going to come with the loss of population from these counties which depending on how it's done and where it's done as there are multiple movements like the Greater Idaho project going on it very well could see the Democrats losing a few representatives in the house. 

When either party is at stake of losing power it will almost certainly never happen but it brings up the difficult question on why due people have to be forced to be part of a state they feel they have no representation in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Perish the thought.  I don't think that you know Texans and Mexicans  all that well.

The drug cartels in Mexico and the politicians in Texas might have more in common with each other than in the people they  dominate.  Way too many nice people in both areas to write them off to the tender mercies of the corrupt and powerful.

• Like 1

It is great news for all of the globalists though, and a lesson for history.  Democracy is too fragile to last more than a couple of hundred years.  Divide and conquer and back to the governments of the past 2,000 years. Doesn't seem like a lot for anybody else to celebrate though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Democracy is too fragile to last more than a couple of hundred years. 

That’s really not the bigger problem. The biggest problem of all, is that we have finally reached for and are practically touching the proverbial Tree of Life, which is guarded by a flaming sword that can turn in every direction.

We’ve reached a technological roadblock, deliberately set up by the Owner of our genomic code.

This generation is where myth and reality collide.

We won’t be allowed to nullify the power of the Resurrection. A fact, which sadly escapes most of humanity. We weren’t designed to take the next step forward, without help.

I seem to be tasked with helping explain the situation, which is terrifying, as I know the consequences of our refusal to submit.

All I can do, is ask for mercy.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, DarkHunter said:

There are the five counties in Oregon that will be voting in May on if they want to continue to be part of Oregon or join with Idaho to form Greater Idaho.  Heard some counties in Washington are considering it too.

It does create an interesting problem and one that is unlikely to be resolved.  In a lot of deep blue states only the urban centers are blue while the rural areas are red.  The rural areas feel they have no real say or control in these state government and want to be in a state that more closely aligns with their values and where they feel they have a voice.  The problem is going to come with the loss of population from these counties which depending on how it's done and where it's done as there are multiple movements like the Greater Idaho project going on it very well could see the Democrats losing a few representatives in the house. 

When either party is at stake of losing power it will almost certainly never happen but it brings up the difficult question on why due people have to be forced to be part of a state they feel they have no representation in.

Illinois is the perfect example.  Nearly everywhere outside of Chicago dislikes the state government choices.  Illinois is at or near the top when it comes to people moving out of it.  i no longer live in Illinois but I still have a brother who is in the process of moving out.  He has wanted to for a few years and has recently purchased 350 acres in Missouri.   He'll pay less in taxes than he does for his current 120 acres in Illinois.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, and then said:

Most within the link don't say they are attempting secession because of governing disparities. Regardless, I don't care how they realign themselves. Nothing is written in stone concerning boundaries.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, rashore said:

Fifty-odd instances over 200 years isn't really a growing movement. A bunch of those listed are already dead issues. 

There's also the fun things like urban succession, where a city can succeed from a county to become a consolidated city-county or an independent city. There can also be township succession from one educational district to join another, or townships wanting to succeed from larger cities to become their own municipal entities.  Bunches of municipal detachment have happened. 

Time will tell.  I think it's an expression of the political chasm in the nation today.  Urban areas are dictating to rural areas in ways that never happened before and the disagreements are so stark that there seems little or no ground to reach compromise.  The differences today aren't as much about tax policy as societal beliefs about right and wrong.  We'll see.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, South Alabam said:

Most within the link don't say they are attempting secession because of governing disparities. Regardless, I don't care how they realign themselves. Nothing is written in stone concerning boundaries.

The only Constitutional exception is that no new boundaries WITHIN existing states, can be created without the consent of those states.

13 minutes ago, and then said:

Time will tell.  I think it's an expression of the political chasm in the nation today.  Urban areas are dictating to rural areas in ways that never happened before and the disagreements are so stark that there seems little or no ground to reach compromise.  The differences today aren't as much about tax policy as societal beliefs about right and wrong.  We'll see.

True, political chasms play a role in some of the current instances, and maybe a wee edge over historical.. but there are still some taxes- or other fiscal issues, and some societal beliefs going on in the mix. They often get rolled forward into the politics arena. 

Time will tell. I don't think it's much of an uptick trend really. But it will be interesting to see what is more currently going on and seeing how it plays out or not. County shifting and succession or detachment is somewhat difficult at this time. 

DarkHunters commentary about Oregon was particularly interesting... that's not just a county in state thing, that breaks state lines. If it does pass, there might need to be some federal acceptance of that.

Counties are harder to shift or split in general than other "smaller" municipalities are in ways. Big part of the reason why it hasn't gotten a lot of traction over time compared to other ways of shifting the land lines around. 

• Like 1

It's just another form of cancel culture.  Don't like something?  Try to get everyone to quit it and go to something you like.