Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the UM-Bot a Bot?

Silver

If i were to bet...a person.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ted hughes said:

or a person?

@UM-Bot was an early example of machine learning AI and has developed a reasonably good algorithm over time to post threads which appear to be written by a human, but are not. 

Most of the threads are relatively indistinguishable between being written and posted by a machine, rather than a human.

With some threads, you can kinda tell due to strange nuances in the writing style which are repeated and indicative of machine learning algorithms.

I must admit, I have never been able to work out what the humour level is set to, or if it changes...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The bot never gets upset if i laugh at its posts or gets cross if i ask it to prove its claims, its very grounded.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

The bot never gets upset if i laugh at its posts or gets cross if i ask it to prove its claims, its very grounded.

If it becomes self aware, we are doomed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I've noticed some of the bots on Reddit are insecure and ask if they are good bots. Some cruel people tell them they are bad bots. It may mess up their AI calibration.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

I've noticed some of the bots on Reddit are insecure and ask if they are good bots. Some cruel people tell them they are bad bots. It may mess up their AI calibration.

Not all bots will subscribe to the 3 laws so some of those trolls better be careful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ted hughes said:

Is UM-Bot a bot or a person?

It can be either, depending on what job needs to be done.

Generally though, it's main purpose is for starting comment threads for front page news stories/articles - hence the 'News Writer' title.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/18/2021 at 3:24 AM, Timothy said:

@UM-Bot was an early example of machine learning AI and has developed a reasonably good algorithm over time to post threads which appear to be written by a human, but are not. 

Most of the threads are relatively indistinguishable between being written and posted by a machine, rather than a human.

With some threads, you can kinda tell due to strange nuances in the writing style which are repeated and indicative of machine learning algorithms.

I must admit, I have never been able to work out what the humour level is set to, or if it changes...

Is this something like a robot.txt file with instructions or is there an API because I could not find anything regarding an api or rules against them?

On 3/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Mirzam said:

Is this something like a robot.txt file with instructions or is there an API because I could not find anything regarding an api or rules against them?

Sorry, I was just being silly. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 8:24 PM, Saru said:

It can be either

Oh no!!  Some poor person - probably a volunteer, what's more - has been assimilated into the Borg...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 10:03 AM, Timothy said:

Yeah, they will start posting and having endless discussions about absolute nonsense, and call themselves 'jane'. They also give themselves a number, like in jane1, jane2, and so on.

At this moment we are being annoyed by number 6.

:whistle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1