Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus actually claim to be the son of God?

Silver

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you, used this at the close of meditation. Warm regards and friendship. 

It is in authentic, South American, Native American cadence and beat. The Spanish Conquistadors described such songs and rhythms, solely reliant on native panpipes, flutes, drums, whistles and rattles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It is in authentic, South American, Native American cadence and beat. The Spanish Conquistadors described such songs and rhythms, solely reliant on native panpipes, flutes, drums, whistles and rattles.

It is a beautiful too. I figured it was hand chosen by you for me, my dear friend, 

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It is a beautiful too. I figured it was hand chosen by you for me, my dear friend, 

Just finding you another pair of ruby slippers.;)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Music From The Hearts of Space is a radio program out of 'Frisco I listened to in the eighties that is still around, available on the internet. An excellent source for meditative music.

https://v4.hos.com/

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Will Do said:

Yes being the Son of God is a pretty big claim but Jesus made an even bigger claim than that.

Besides God being our Father he said:

"You are all the sons of God". :tu:

What about the daughter's?

Seems Jesus is a misogynistic prick like his dad huh? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

What about the daughter's?

It was ahead of its time.

I know someone's daughter that'd be pretty upset if it was found out that you thought of her as anything other than a man.

Edited by Will Do

1 hour ago, Will Do said:

It was ahead of its time.

I know someone's daughter that'd be pretty upset if it was found out that you thought of her as anything other than a man.

Honestly, what's that got to do with anything? 

I'm standing next to a black car. Your point is invalid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

People are arseholes isn’t exactly world shattering news, nor something likely to make what they say, in this case, less truthful. 

Actually, yes it does make it more likely a lie.

Any outfit willing to torture and slaughter untold numbers of folk who basically had a different opinion, world view, or culture - you don't think they are going to lie, steal, corrupt and mislead you too? All to gain more power and wealth and influence, even though Christ said, "My Kingdom isn't of this world.."

And all that pain and misery in the name of Christ.

Do you actually believe in the message of Christ?

23 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And “Son of God, turns out to be nice bloke, hard worker and great at a party” isn’t a powerful message?

Not if he is the "one and only" Son of GOD, no.

If Christ was a man, a human being, like Lord Buddha, then we would all have something Real to aspire to.

Something divine within, something to know and to live, something Essential, Substantial and Real. GOD.

And besides, "A nice bloke, a hard worker, and great at a party" isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Surely you hold Christ to be above such mundane things?

41 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Actually, yes it does make it more likely a lie.

Any outfit willing to torture and slaughter untold numbers of folk who basically had a different opinion, world view, or culture - you don't think they are going to lie, steal, corrupt and mislead you too? All to gain more power and wealth and influence, even though Christ said, "My Kingdom isn't of this world.."

And all that pain and misery in the name of Christ.

Do you actually believe in the message of Christ?

What was it Gandhi said? I like your Christ, but not your Christians? 
That. I believe in the message, but have serious concerns about those who passed the message onwards onto me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not if he is the "one and only" Son of GOD, no.

If Christ was a man, a human being, like Lord Buddha, then we would all have something Real to aspire to.

Something divine within, something to know and to live, something Essential, Substantial and Real. GOD.

And besides, "A nice bloke, a hard worker, and great at a party" isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Surely you hold Christ to be above such mundane things?

Why should Jesus be above mortal concerns? The dude was mortal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

What was it Gandhi said? I like your Christ, but not your Christians? 
That. I believe in the message, but have serious concerns about those who passed the message onwards onto me.

So let me get this straight.

You admire, love Christ, but not the Church?

Just now, Crazy Horse said:

So let me get this straight.

You admire, love Christ, but not the Church?

Yes, what is so hard to accept about that?

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Why should Jesus be above mortal concerns? The dude was mortal. 

I never said that he didn't care for mortal concerns.

Healing the sick, helping the fishermen, feeding the 5 thousand..

My point was, and please try to grasp it, that if Christ was a man who by his own efforts, (and by the Grace of GOD) became Godlike, with certain Attributes of GOD, then we would all have something Real to aspire to.

Something that one might only attain by being moral, ethical, kind and compassionate.

This is a hugely powerful message for Mankind.

7 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Yes, what is so hard to accept about that?

Nothing, except that you called yourself Catholic.

I never said that he didn't care for mortal concerns.

Healing the sick, helping the fishermen, feeding the 5 thousand..

My point was, and please try to grasp it, that if Christ was a man who by his own efforts, (and by the Grace of GOD) became Godlike, with certain Attributes of GOD, then we would all have something Real to aspire to.

Something that one might only attain by being moral, ethical, kind and compassionate.

This is a hugely powerful message for Mankind.

An equally powerful message is “God’s a fine fella”, it turns the unknowable into the approachable.

Nothing, except that you called yourself Catholic.

Catholic is a mindset as well as an inheritance of purfedy. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

An equally powerful message is “God’s a fine fella”, it turns the unknowable into the approachable.

Not really.

It takes works, morals, ethics, kindness and compassion, in action, to change the world into a better place.

Belief is a good start..

On 3/21/2021 at 8:04 PM, ted hughes said:

Thanks for this informative answer. I suppose I'm still not entirely clear if Jesus himself claimed to be the son of God, or believed himself to be so. I guess it is unlikely as he was humble (or so I believe, modest anyway) and being the son of God is a pretty big claim. And what is this "Trinity"? I've heard the word many times but I am very unclear as to it's meaning- very unclear.

The Trinity, or Holy Trinity as its called by many Christians is the belief that there is one God, but God exists as three distinct persons.  The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is the Holy Trinity.  It’s accepted as true by Catholics and Protestant groups.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, ted hughes said:

Did Jesus actually claim to be the son of God? Or was that ascribed to him by hisorians later?

I'd have to agree with @and then that first is the requirement of accepting he existed.

Given that, we have to accept the legitimacy of the Bible, since just about everything we know of Jesus comes by way of that.

Given that, its very clear that several times Jesus stated he was the Son of God. Several times he said he WAS God, by way of being coequal, both fully man, and fully God. 

That leads into... Was the Bible edit to create that situation? I seriously do not think so. I believe, if there was editing it was minimal, and concerned esoteric issues, not mainline issues, like sacrifice, forgiveness, resurrection, Jesus' divinity... 

Short version. Yes, Jesus was the Son of God.