Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

22 women killed every day in Russia in 2018

Eldorado

In 2018, the government statistics agency recorded a total of 8,300 women killed. That works out at 22 a day. Contrast that with the UK rate of one woman murdered every three days.

Like in Britain, NGOs say the majority of those happened in the home. The official number for domestic violence murders for 2018 was just 253.

Most European countries, especially given a widely reported increase in domestic violence during the pandemic, are toughening their laws.

Russia is going the other way.

In 2017 Russia decriminalised first instance domestic battery, meaning anything which doesn't end up in hospital is classified as an administrative offence.

Sky news article

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

I was going to say what percentage of the populations are we talking about here, thinking that Russia will have a massive population compared to the UK. Turns out, we have almost half the population of Russia . . . which was a surprise.

• Like 6

Domestic violence has hit close to home for me.   2 women I knew were killed by their partners, both because they wanted to end the relationship.   One of my best friends has an ex-boyfriend who did not take their breakup well; he flipped and threatened her.   To this day she is still fearful he will show up in her life again, and that's been over 20 years ago.  :cry:

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Russia will have a massive population compared to the UK.

Russia has never really recovered from WW2 where they lost around like 20% of their population, even worse the 20% lost was mostly made up of the younger generations who would be producing the next generation.  I remember reading something like 90%, might of been 100%, of all Russian males that were born in some single year died in WW2.  Factor in Stalin's preference of moving ethnic Russians into non-Russian soviet states and how those states left the USSR taking their population with them and the population of Russia took a lot of massive hits in a relatively short period of time.  

This is assuming the reporting on the Russian population is accurate as their is speculation Russia is over stating their population by 10s of millions of people.

But as for domestic abuse in Russia from what I have read it's bad.  Alcoholism is rampant, not a lot of protection for women in general, and economic conditions that arent really improving anymore are all creating a perfect storm for domestic abuse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

But as for domestic abuse in Russia from what I have read it's bad.  Alcoholism is rampant, not a lot of protection for women in general, and economic conditions that arent really improving anymore are all creating a perfect storm for domestic abuse.

Let's chalk up yet another success story of communism. 

• Sad 1

This got me thinking of, and googling for, alcoholism rates for countries..... and I was shocked by the second group of stats, below.

Here are the 10 countries with the highest rates of alcoholism in males:

Russia (16.29%)
    Hungary (15.29%)
    Lithuania (13.35%)
    South Korea (13.10%)
    Latvia (11.54%)
    Belarus (11.43%)
    Estonia (11.09%)
    Niue (10.58%)
    Colombia (10.33%)
    Thailand (10.18%)

The ten countries with the highest rates of alcohol use disorders in females are:

Australia 2.61%
    Russia 2.58%
    Norway 2.55%
    Colombia 2.55%
    Hungary 2.27%
    Sweden 2.27%
    New Zealand 2.20%
    Republic of Moldova 2.15%
    Lithuania 1.98%
    The United States 1.92%

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcoholism-by-country

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DarkHunter said:

Russia has never really recovered from WW2 where they lost around like 20% of their population, even worse the 20% lost was mostly made up of the younger generations who would be producing the next generation.

Putin fails in promise to repopulate Russia

Russia’s population fell by almost 600,000 over the last year to 146 million, according to official statistics, in its sharpest decline in the past 15 years. This month, Russia reported its first fall in life expectancy since 2003.

Full article at MSN

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Twenty countries still allow rapists to marry their victims to escape criminal prosecution, according to the UN’s annual state of world population report.

Russia, Thailand and Venezuela are among the countries that allow men to have rape convictions overturned if they marry the women or girls they have assaulted.

Dr Natalia Kanem, executive director of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), which published the report on Wednesday, said such laws were “deeply wrong” and were “a way of subjugating women”.

“The denial of rights cannot be shielded in law. ‘Marry your rapist’ laws shift the burden of guilt on to the victim and try to sanitise a situation which is criminal.”

Guardian report

On 3/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, Eldorado said:

This got me thinking of, and googling for, alcoholism rates for countries..... and I was shocked by the second group of stats, below.

Here are the 10 countries with the highest rates of alcoholism in males:

Russia (16.29%)
    Hungary (15.29%)
    Lithuania (13.35%)
    South Korea (13.10%)
    Latvia (11.54%)
    Belarus (11.43%)
    Estonia (11.09%)
    Niue (10.58%)
    Colombia (10.33%)
    Thailand (10.18%)

The ten countries with the highest rates of alcohol use disorders in females are:

Australia 2.61%
    Russia 2.58%
    Norway 2.55%
    Colombia 2.55%
    Hungary 2.27%
    Sweden 2.27%
    New Zealand 2.20%
    Republic of Moldova 2.15%
    Lithuania 1.98%
    The United States 1.92%

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcoholism-by-country

Two fun facts about alcohol in Russia:

1: Beer was considered a soft drink in Russia until 2011... 

2 Teachers in part of Siberia, Russia were paid in vodka in September 1998, as the authorities had no money to meet their wages bill...

• Sad 1