Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

The Khatyn massacre remembered

Eldorado

The March 22, 1943, massacre at Khatyn left 149 villagers from the Eastern European community, then part of the Soviet Union, dead. Just six people—five children and one adult—survived.

Ostensibly in reaction to Belarusian partisans’ ambush killing of German Olympic shot putter Hans Woellke, Nazi soldiers and their collaborators converged on the village and enacted total warfare on its civilian inhabitants.

As described so vividly by Zhelobkovich, the attackers herded all of the villagers into a large barn, set the building on fire and then waited outside with machine guns.

Those who managed to escape the inferno were quickly mowed down. Before departing, the Germans looted everything of value and burned Khatyn to the ground.

Full article at the Smithsonian mag: Link

• Sad 2

and then
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

As described so vividly by Zhelobkovich, the attackers herded all of the villagers into a large barn, set the building on fire and then waited outside with machine guns.

Those who managed to escape the inferno were quickly mowed down. Before departing, the Germans looted everything of value and burned Khatyn to the ground.

I used to wonder how on earth people could be that callous and brutal.  At the time, Germany had one of the most educated populations in the world.  After watching the propaganda results of the Left in the U.S., I no longer wonder.  It's a collective form of insanity that releases our basest instincts.  Once the fire is actually sparked, there's no stopping it until there's nothing left to consume.  I truly believe that same old evil's time has come around again.

• Sad 1