Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

gunman shoots up King Soopers grocery 

glorybebe

5 minutes ago, Timothy said:

That is pretty telling of the situation you’ve got going on over there unfortunately

I agree, it is telling.  The causes, not so much.  Until roughly 20-30 years ago, this kind of tragic nonsense was very rare.  The availability of firearms was even less controlled than now, yet we weren't experiencing frequent deadly rampages.  Since removing nearly 400 million guns is impossible, perhaps we need a national discussion on how to come to grips with this while protecting 2A.  

• Like 8

It saddens me that someone is unhappy with their life so they decide to take out as many people as they can.  When did we stop having empathy?  Instead of looking at society as a whole, we are so focused on being individuals that we forget about our fellow citizens.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

It saddens me that someone is unhappy with their life so they decide to take out as many people as they can.  When did we stop having empathy?  Instead of looking at society as a whole, we are so focused on being individuals that we forget about our fellow citizens.  

I'm not a big Bible thumper but there IS an answer for your question -

Matthew 24:12-26 New King James Version (NKJV) 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It is not really guns that have changed but people and society.  I was in Texas  50 years ago back when the University of Texas tower shooter killed his victims.

That one was a little before my time but I'm curious, was it common in TX at that time for pickup trucks to have gun racks with a bolt rifle or shotgun on display?  It was VERY common down south and it never raised an eyebrow.  Our culture has coarsened to the point where anger is up and self control is damned near non-existent.  That is a bad combination and we are seeing the result.  I'm not much into Hopium and I see it getting a lot worse, right ahead.  With roughly 400 million firearms in the hands of 80+ million Americans, there will be NO removal of the problem through confiscation but we could reduce the carnage with a reasoned, quiet conversation where everything is "on the table" and people are willing to compromise.  Instead, we see one side demanding nothing less than a further erosion of 2A even though there is no evidence more laws will change anything for the better.  The other side reacts to that with demands that they should have ANY firearm they want.  

We are ALL being played by invisible puppet-masters who are working to set us against each other.  If they succeed, we will ALL LOSE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the shooting at the University of Texas. I was just a kid and it was huge breaking national news. TV shows were pre-empted and we watched the newsfeed.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think the first mass shooting that sticks in my memory was when some nut in New Orleans started killing strangers from a hotel rooftop.  Eventually, they sent in a helicopter gunship and ended his insanity.

• Like 3

I remember when I was about 10 a guy in my hometown, which is actually a small city, shot and killed a man. The trial was big news and everyone knew his name. DeRohn, I still remember it. People talked about it for years. Now shootings are almost a daily occurence. People have changed and not for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

I remember when I was about 10 a guy in my hometown, which is actually a small city, shot and killed a man. The trial was big news and everyone knew his name. DeRohn, I still remember it. People talked about it for years. Now shootings are almost a daily occurence. People have changed and not for the better.

Yes, and when you add in the effect of media manipulation by literally pitting various groups against each other, it has no path forward except down.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, and then said:

That one was a little before my time but I'm curious, was it common in TX at that time for pickup trucks to have gun racks with a bolt rifle or shotgun on display? 

No, not in town.  Slightly more out where my grandparents lived, but really not so common.  On the other hand when I was about 14 one of my friends and I tied our .22's to our bicycle handlebars and rode out of  town to a place we had permission to shoot.  Never drew any attention from passing motorists.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, and then said:

That one was a little before my time but I'm curious, was it common in TX at that time for pickup trucks to have gun racks with a bolt rifle or shotgun on display?  It was VERY common down south and it never raised an eyebrow. 

When I was in high school, during hunting season, the parking lot was full of pickup trucks with entire gun racks full of guns, unlocked and no one thought anything about it. And no one was shot, I never knew anyone who was shot or shot anyone. 

Those were the same semi-auto rifles we have today. Some of them today are black with rails on them, but they were the exact same rifles. What's changed? It's not guns, must be society. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The news just reported 10 dead including a police officer. The suspect is wounded and in custody. Glorybebe's link has updated.

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

The republic has effectively been dying, for some time. As Ben Franklin warned, “we have failed to keep it.”

The soldiers of our collective conscience haven’t prevailed, rather the opposite has. The proverbial gates to Hell are indeed, wider.

Worse, when a danger is conveyed to The People, they have been lied to by the state so frequently, they can’t save themselves.

We need a better way of selecting our office holders. I propose a jury type of selection system, with educational, and/or testing requirements to run for office.

The republic must evolve to survive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

That one was a little before my time but I'm curious, was it common in TX at that time for pickup trucks to have gun racks with a bolt rifle or shotgun on display?  It was VERY common down south and it never raised an eyebrow.  Our culture has coarsened to the point where anger is up and self control is damned near non-existent.  That is a bad combination and we are seeing the result.  I'm not much into Hopium and I see it getting a lot worse, right ahead.  With roughly 400 million firearms in the hands of 80+ million Americans, there will be NO removal of the problem through confiscation but we could reduce the carnage with a reasoned, quiet conversation where everything is "on the table" and people are willing to compromise.  Instead, we see one side demanding nothing less than a further erosion of 2A even though there is no evidence more laws will change anything for the better.  The other side reacts to that with demands that they should have ANY firearm they want.  

We are ALL being played by invisible puppet-masters who are working to set us against each other.  If they succeed, we will ALL LOSE.

There is someone else that has been watching, and these people times are almost at an end. They had the chance to make the world a better place, but instead chose greed and power over righteousness. So for them...

Matthew 19:30  But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Yeah and i see it right here on this forum so very self centered that their opinion is the only acceptable one they group others as friend or foe depending on if you bend a knee to who they do, believe as they do.

they have spewed enough hate filled rhetoric about accepting if this or that happens that i actually have those members cross my mind when i see headlines like this or other type stuff, oh dear was the shooter so in so from the forum, its a real thought.

You ask about when did empathy stop i guess the same time hate filled these types because they wanted things their way or no way and didnt get what they wanted,

So this sooper shooter, any talk about motivations, his affiliations and beliefs i would bet a coke he fits in somewhere with the same mindset of my rundown above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

I agree, it is telling.  The causes, not so much.  Until roughly 20-30 years ago, this kind of tragic nonsense was very rare.  The availability of firearms was even less controlled than now, yet we weren't experiencing frequent deadly rampages.  Since removing nearly 400 million guns is impossible, perhaps we need a national discussion on how to come to grips with this while protecting 2A.  

Many justifications for protection of 2A don’t make sense to me. And I won’t claim to understand the mindset behind them, being on the upside-down side of Earth.

And yes, removing that many guns is essentially impossible, and wouldn’t be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Especially with all of the misplaced patriotism out there.

It would be hard and it would cost a lot. It would probably take a decade of recurring firearm amnesties and buybacks for different kinds of weapons, along with a decade long national educational campaign to tackle the current gun culture and other issues behind firearms, of course including the mental health aspect, why regulation is important, and why it should be harder to legally obtain a firearm than it currently is etc.

There’s no bandaid solution. It wouldn’t be easy, and it would take time, but it would probably be worth it in the long run.

I’m thankful it happened in Australia when it did, for America it would be a gargantuan task in comparison. 

• Like 1

committees

7 hours ago, and then said:

Im may case i dont really care who owns guns aside from the obvious like felons and loonybirds but in those cases even if guns were 100% illegal they would have them anyway or commit their crimes other ways. I really see no reason that the average citizen needs automatic weapons but i also really dont think for example any nutball has decided against a shooting spree because he couldnt spray bullets with a tommy.

What ive noticed is the cats who are all scared that a group wants to take their guns away are not the group out commiting crimes with their guns,

Many times an event like this shooter might have political or other agengas but normally its just some person who melted down no matter what their opinions and beliefs are, like the kid who shot up massage parlors, i actually believe he did it out of meltdown unhinged issues related to his mental sexual illness, not the guns fault, in fact his parents kicked him out, he needed help not more stress on a structure not up to code.

So "and then" do you think and im asking you as i believe you are a gun person that there could be some type of committee formed that would be unbiased not just try to ban guns but address the real issue the people who kill form some type group that could make both gun lovers and non gun lovers happy, is it at all possible?

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

they have spewed enough hate filled rhetoric about accepting if this or that happens that i actually have those members cross my mind when i see headlines like this or other type stuff, oh dear was the shooter so in so from the forum, its a real thought.

Of course it is, bats.  Because that's the track your mind runs down.  You make no allowance for the opinions of others as having any validity at all.  They are wrong, you are right and they must be resisted.  THAT is where we see the greatest divergence between Left and Right in America.  When I have prognosticated about events that I believe will occur IF our government attempts to disarm Americans, that isn't in any way a threat to cause harm to anyone.  Those here who twist that into a fear of violence are just framing the words of others with their OWN meaning.  They have no justification for it but also have no problem with mischaracterizing the stance of those who dissent on these issues. 

The best example I can think of is this - I can honestly say that I don't care what decisions you make about how to live YOUR life, so long as it doesn't take away MY rights.  I'm a very dedicated believer in the concept of "LIVE AND LET LIVE".  

What I see from most on the Left is NOT that same outlook.  Most of those I've discussed or argued with about 2A, for example, are adamant that change needs to be made, even if it takes government FORCE to compel other Americans who essentially disagree on 2A.  Those of us on the Conservative wing don't desire to take anything from you, we just demand that you treat us the same respect.  Why you are incapable or unwilling to grasp that is beyond me.  God only knows why this person behaved as he did. In the days ahead, I guarantee you we will see a full-court press by the MSM and most social media to characterize the nut as a "white supremacist", a "domestic terrorist" and or some flavor of Conservative, all labels being imbued with the idea that those beliefs make him evil and therefore anyone who shares any degree of those beliefs needs to be "held accountable"

That's my prediction.  It will begin immediately and the drumbeat will be used to try to ram through the two most recently passed gun control bills in the Democratic House.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/12/house-passes-two-gun-control-bills-to-delay-gun-sales-create-national-gun-registry/

The only way these abominations will become law will be if Schumer decides to discard the filibuster rule.  Hopefully, Manchin and one or two other Dems will see the danger of such an action and stand against it.  IF the filibuster is discarded and such far reaching infringements on 2A become law then the only real affect it will have is to further divide the nation and create a new class of felons that will number in the tens of millions.  

There are estimates of nearly 400 million firearms in private hands.  Confiscating them is impossible but the Left CAN use such laws to selectively come after anyone who dares dissent publicly.  The hopeful aspect of this is the rise of state, county and township/city determination to resist any such infringement from the Feds.  Basically, they'll tell the Feds to pound sand and will refuse to spend a dime or an hour of time helping them enforce unconstitutional edicts.  Cops in the little town I live in have made it clear they won't be enforcing infringement by Uncle Sugar.  Hundreds, maybe thousands of similar departments will take the same course.  Nullification of Federal law was what caused the Civil War.  The west coast states that casually nullified immigration statutes provided a much needed cover for the states that will now refuse to enforce infringement.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Many justifications for protection of 2A don’t make sense to me. And I won’t claim to understand the mindset behind them, being on the upside-down side of Earth.

And yes, removing that many guns is essentially impossible, and wouldn’t be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Especially with all of the misplaced patriotism out there.

It would be hard and it would cost a lot. It would probably take a decade of recurring firearm amnesties and buybacks for different kinds of weapons, along with a decade long national educational campaign to tackle the current gun culture and other issues behind firearms, of course including the mental health aspect, why regulation is important, and why it should be harder to legally obtain a firearm than it currently is etc.

There’s no bandaid solution. It wouldn’t be easy, and it would take time, but it would probably be worth it in the long run.

I’m thankful it happened in Australia when it did, for America it would be a gargantuan task in comparison. 

They said the same thing here.

Took 3 months 

A decent strategy isn't enough. The people have to be behind it. That's the trick to success. Downunder we are more community orientated. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I can only speak for myself but there is plainly an agenda to disarm Americans and it isn't based on any verifiable data that more gun laws will help this mass shooting problem.  The facts are not in the favor of the GC crowd.  Rather than sitting down and reasonably looking for compromise to help with this epidemic, those on the Left in DC pound the drum for stricter, deeper controls and they know that will be resisted to the last.

There are literally hundreds of laws on the books around this nation that make gun crimes punishable in extreme ways.  IF they were diligently enforced, one would imagine the effect would be helpful.  NYC and Chicago have some of the most Draconian gun restrictions imaginable and it seems to have no effect whatever.  This tragedy in Colorado represents a number of grieving families equal to an AVERAGE weekend in Chicago.  

The bolded above is a great example of what CAN be undertaken without any new infringement laws.  Education would help tremendously, IMO.  Not propaganda, mind you, but actually making information about the realities on the ground, made available in local communities or better yet, as part of required curriculum in public schools.  A good example of how such education can make a real, quantifiable difference is something I witnessed in action a decade or so back.  I was living in central Mississippi when a class-action legal suit against "Big Tobacco" was decided in favor of the state.

The payout was in the billions of dollars and it made some attorney's filthy rich but also crated programs to educate the youth about the real consequences of smoking.  Within a couple of years the rate of new smokers in the state plummeted.  The same kind of benefit could be expected with education efforts about safe gun handling and the responsibilities that go along with that inalienable right to possess and use firearms.  If those who are pushing for new gun control laws refuse to compromise at all, the only effect of these tragedies will be lots of "sound and fury signifying nothing".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyperionxvii said:

When I was in high school, during hunting season, the parking lot was full of pickup trucks with entire gun racks full of guns, unlocked and no one thought anything about it. And no one was shot, I never knew anyone who was shot or shot anyone. 

Those were the same semi-auto rifles we have today. Some of them today are black with rails on them, but they were the exact same rifles. What's changed? It's not guns, must be society. 

The old days are gone. I remember being able to put milk money under bottles. I never heard of a bike chain when I was a kid. The world is a different place. Heck, people used to respect authority. Many even feared the wrath of God. Not today. The wrath of God is laughable now. 

Having dangerous weapons around and in every home is just asking for trouble. Now the lockdowns are over, back to business as normal. This won't be the last US gun incident this year and we all know it. Who will be the next batch of victims?

• Like 3