Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
ted hughes

Has any advance in science been as beneficial as religion?

374 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

ted hughes

Has any advance in science or knowledge brought about the benefits that religion has brought to society?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

THIS thread should really be... lively...:w00t:

IMO, faith has been just as crucial for the advancement of our species as science but that's a rare sentiment here.  The reason I believe this is that in spite of the huge leaps in knowledge of medicine, sanitation,  and the general advance in all fields of scientific inquiry, we've managed to extend lives and improve the quality of those added years yet created real jeopardy of self-annihilation with the concurrent rise of tech that is used for weapons.  We now live in a world where we simultaneously acquire more insight into all things human, while creating devices that could extinguish life off the planet.  

IMO neither part of our existence can exist indefinitely without accommodation being made for the other.

Also, note that I'm speaking of FAITH.  Not the traditions and dogma of religion.  THAT has been almost uniformly negative.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, and then said:

THIS thread should really be... lively...:w00t:

IMO, faith has been just as crucial for the advancement of our species as science but that's a rare sentiment here.  The reason I believe this is that in spite of the huge leaps in knowledge of medicine, sanitation,  and the general advance in all fields of scientific inquiry, we've managed to extend lives and improve the quality of those added years yet created real jeopardy of self-annihilation with the concurrent rise of tech that is used for weapons.  We now live in a world where we simultaneously acquire more insight into all things human, while creating devices that could extinguish life off the planet.  

IMO neither part of our existence can exist indefinitely without accommodation being made for the other.

Also, note that I'm speaking of FAITH.  Not the traditions and dogma of religion.  THAT has been almost uniformly negative.  

Who are you and what did you do to the real and then? 

Kidding. 

I agree with your post, completely. 

(It's not on topic, but how do you manage to go so far away from your own theory in your own practicing of your own theory?) 

Edited by Helen of Annoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy

@ted hughes has religion actually had a net positive impact on society?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy
16 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Since the scientific revolution it's hard to deny that science brought more progress in a shorter time frame than religion.

But the roots of science and its progress were inseparable from belief systems. 

So I don't think it's as simple as "science good, belief bad". They don't cancel each other out. They're two entirely different planes of human experience so it's actually a mistake in my opinion to expect them to either conflict or "prove" each other. 

 

To me personally, it seems that all religions I've heard of are going backwards and turning into their own opposite. Science too is prone to seek profit, even at the cost of approving stuff everyone involved knows is dishonestly shaky or plain wrong.  

So there are no bad and good guys by default. There's no perfection. Only countless, very confusing, daily personal attempts to organize own opinions.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ted hughes
14 minutes ago, Timothy said:

@ted hughes has religion actually had a net positive impact on society?

I would think so!

How else could it be so ubiquitous and enduring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Maybe... Oh I dunno... The devil has something to do with that? You know, syaitan, Satan... Beezulbubba...Beelzebub or Beelzebul?

Crafty devil that he's said to be... 

~

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
22 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Since the scientific revolution it's hard to deny that science brought more progress in a shorter time frame than religion.

I agree.  The advances have been staggering and have created longer lives with much healthier people.  Where I demur is when those who reject the idea that faith is an overall positive, can't admit that the same scientific advances that are positive for us, also have a dark side just as humans do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
2 hours ago, ted hughes said:

Has any advance in science or knowledge brought about the benefits that religion has brought to society?

Considering that science is more or less based within, and for, this physical, material world..

I would have to say no.

Religion on the other hand is supposed to help unify oneself, oneself within the community, but ultimately with oneself and GOD.

That to my mind at least, is of a much greater benefit.

BTW, I am not dismissing science and its achievements. I just feel that a unity with GOD is of the upmost importance, in my humble opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
3 hours ago, ted hughes said:

Has any advance in science or knowledge brought about the benefits that religion has brought to society?

Flush sanitation. Soap. Interplanetary Exploration.... 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
17 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Flush sanitation. Soap. Interplanetary Exploration.... 

You put soap over an inner knowledge of GOD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’m not so arrogant as to put my personal relationship with God above the needs of my fellow man.

No offence, but that is idiotic.

An enlightened mind could help everyone, especially in todays world.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It takes arrogance to assume your beliefs are so right as to want anyone else to emulate them. Arrogance is frowned upon in my religion. I’ll break bread with anyone, but tell them what to believe? What path to walk? Not my job.

Soap makes you clean, safe and healthy. It frees you from suffering. Good stuff, soap. 
Religion? Thar’s a stick. Useful,for sure. But every stick that supports one man, another man uses to best yet another.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It takes arrogance to assume your beliefs are so right as to want anyone else to emulate them. Arrogance is frowned upon in my religion.

Arrogance or wisdom?

If its arrogance then please use your reason, wisdom, and vast knowledge to disassemble my point.

Which is.

That an enlightened mind could help everyone, especially in todays world.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
Just now, Crazy Horse said:

Arrogance or wisdom?

If its arrogance then please use your reason, wisdom, and vast knowledge to disassemble my point.

Which is.

That an enlightened mind could help everyone, especially in todays world.

Enlightened minds do. Scientists create things that benefit mankind. 
I’m enlightened enough to know that my path is my path, not yours. I’m enlightened enough to know I do not know the truth, so shouldn’t tell someone else what to think.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Soap makes you clean, safe and healthy. It frees you from suffering. Good stuff, soap. 
Religion? Thar’s a stick. Useful,for sure. But every stick that supports one man, another man uses to best yet another.

Soap may clean the body...but the soul?

And religion isn't a stick, its a foundation to build ones life upon.

An example for anyone who cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
Just now, Crazy Horse said:

Soap may clean the body...but the soul?

And religion isn't a stick, its a foundation to build ones life upon.

An example for anyone who cares.

No, it’s a stick. It supports you, or it can be used to beat you. 
A foundation is faith and the codes of morality and processes of thought that come with accepting it. 
Religion and faith are not synonymous, but are mutually defined.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Enlightened minds do. Scientists create things that benefit mankind. 
I’m enlightened enough to know that my path is my path, not yours. I’m enlightened enough to know I do not know the truth, so shouldn’t tell someone else what to think.

So an enlightened mind could help everybody?

Great, I am glad we sorted that out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
Just now, Crazy Horse said:

So an enlightened mind could help everybody?

Great, I am glad we sorted that out.

Have we though?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.