Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has any advance in science been as beneficial as religion?

Silver

On March 29, 2021 at 4:19 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Your very welcome, if you have any questions in the future I would glad to try and help. But, please keep in mind I am nothing more then a student of the Buddhist philosophy, and I certainly dont have all the answers. For me Buddhas teachings are my guide, and even with that said I still need to seek guidance to interpret the meanings.

Thanks Manwon, I do have a couple simple,and personal, questions, that I ask you please answer in here for everyone's benefit?

but first, thanks for the links ...I'm studying :).     What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?  Q1.  Do you think Reincarnation/Rebirth is a real physical event ,or,  just some sort of metaphorical concept !??

Q2.  If Reincarnation is a real physical process...where do 'we' go in between lives?   or  does Rebirth happen at the instant a life ends??     And, indeed, what happens to 'us'  if we reach Nirvana?   Existence?   Non-Existence?   What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?         

Religions are frustrating...it seems like we always end up at...."welllll,  see son, first, ya gotta understand ,that,  it doesn't really mean what it says".  :P    ?      I'm about 7 miles past the middle of nowhere out in the desert...but we're going into wilderness with no Wi-Fi   for a few days...   So, I'll have to read your answers when we get 'back' .   Thanks bud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, psyche101 said:

How are you with Zeus, Thor, Venus, Eros, Ares, Ganesha, Loki, Chinnamasta, Pan, Inanna, Cronus, Isis, Sheela Na Gigs or Dionysus? 

What about unicorn's fairies leprechauns mermaids or minotaurs? 

If you don't believe in all of them I guess your a spirituality fundamentalist why is closed minded to possibilities huh? 

Seriously lightly. I really wonder if your are out of your gourd when you post some of your thoughts. The ignorance displayed randomly can be unsettling. 

No.   I don't believe in any of those things, or in any man made gods..including the one your fond of mentioning.  You completely misunderstand me..which is my failing I'm sure.  Words cannot express what I believe, or at least, suspect.  Some days my suspicions are stronger than others.   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lightly said:

Words cannot express what I believe, or at least, suspect.

Can you explain this please?

39 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Can you explain this please?

Explain why words can't express what I believe, or suspect.   Well, I'll try .   I believe in some'thing'.. But THING is not the right word.. because I believe in an underlying non physical source of EveryThing.   From which everyThing Emerges and Returns.

I believe in a more fundamental unified awareness . I believe there is the mechanics of conciousness, which is being explored and studied...and there is a more fundamental ,and once again,  NON physical source which we are All directly connected to and experience ALL the time.

i believe this source, for lack of a better word...is 'spirit' . .a non physical, and therefore Physically Undetectable, SPIRIT.

I think that maybe, by the power of OUR shared Spirit ...we ALL share in Creation.   But, that whole sun and moon appearing to be about the same size ??  ..that was totally my idea.   :P   (KIDDING) !      This place isn't a contest to me...I don't need to be right.....or Win endless arguments.  

As I said.. the whole idea is just what I honestly feel and suspect, but can't adequately express in words.   Non physical...Pre physical...some thing that isn't a thing.   I don't expect anyone to believe it.   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5

Thanks Manwon, I do have a couple simple,and personal, questions, that I ask you please answer in here for everyone's benefit?

but first, thanks for the links ...I'm studying :).     What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?  Q1.  Do you think Reincarnation/Rebirth is a real physical event ,or,  just some sort of metaphorical concept !??

Q2.  If Reincarnation is a real physical process...where do 'we' go in between lives?   or  does Rebirth happen at the instant a life ends??     And, indeed, what happens to 'us'  if we reach Nirvana?   Existence?   Non-Existence?   What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?         

Religions are frustrating...it seems like we always end up at...."welllll,  see son, first, ya gotta understand ,that,  it doesn't really mean what it says".  :P    ?      I'm about 7 miles past the middle of nowhere out in the desert...but we're going into wilderness with no Wi-Fi   for a few days...   So, I'll have to read your answers when we get 'back' .   Thanks bud.

Good morning, I will try to answer your questions according to my ability at this time keep in mind I a student.

1. Do you think Reincarnation/Rebirth is a real physical event ,or,  just some sort of metaphorical concept !??

Yes I do believe that reincarnation does occur. I believe it is a natural process that is necessary to continue your quest to reach enlightenment. A single life time will not provide the time necessary to learn to give up and clear your mind of the impediments that prevent you from attaining your goal. 

2. If Reincarnation is a real physical process...where do 'we' go in between lives?   or  does Rebirth happen at the instant a life ends??     And, indeed, what happens to 'us'  if we reach Nirvana?   Existence?   Non-Existence?   What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?

2a. After death our Spirit will remain and seek out through the need of attachment a new body and a new life. How long this may take is subjective and based upon Karma. However, in most Buddhist Traditions it is taught that it will take 49 days after death takes place for rebirth to occur. But again this is based on how your Karmic accumulation of positive and negative actions  ( cause and effect ) from your previous life will effect your rebirth and  it also determines which realm you will be reborn into. 

2b. Once all suffering in life has been overcome and one achieves Nirvana ( enlightenment) the cycle of rebirth ends. At this point you become a spiritual conciseness which is unable to interfere or communicate with humanity. However, your not alone you will always be a concise part of spiritual conciseness of all Buddhas past, present, and future.

This is my understanding, at this time. I hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Is it really 'compassion' anyway if we don't 'choose' it?  Since you believe, and I can't argue with, the idea that choice doesn't exist in any genuine sense.

That's a good point that you raise. 

I don't so much believe in the sense that I'm certain, as see no alternative position that can be supported as yet. Though I'm open to the possibility that the human brain could be different to all other arrangements of matter (that we know of) in that its processes can lead to outcomes that are beyond causation, that at some point principles of physics and chemistry are irrelevant and it becomes its own cause. Which it would need to be to have genuine choice. If it doesn't have this then the concept of choice is illusory. It certainly can't be randomness, as that precludes all notions of choice. 

While there rightly should still be accountability for choices, there should be no such thing as ultimate moral accountability, for this reason.

It isn't that humans aren't continually confronted with all manner of choices, it's the possibility that what is chosen could have been any other way that I see as unlikely, despite our intuition about it. This notion of freedom to choose that is believed fervently seems to amount to an atheists version of the paranormal, where something magical occurs in the human brain. Not much different to belief in an elan vital or soul.

Though it's still possible to foster things like compassion, that is still worthwhile, and it can still be selfless. Not for everyone of course. In the simplest sense the brain is a system of inputs that creates outputs, though complicated by all manner of internal processes, but still a change in what goes in can result in changes to belief, behaviour and outlook. So our great examples of compassion and even our mythical figures and stories around it are valuable. After all a beautiful sunset didn't choose to be, yet it's still beautiful.

Though as I hinted in my post, what we gravitate towards this way to begin with ultimately has causes that have nothing to do with choice and if people don't value such things, the idea they can simply choose to is meaningless.

So I doubt that happiness is a choice. Though beyond this I also doubt that the things that are claimed to cause happiness, will necessarily do that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lightly said:

No.   I don't believe in any of those things, or in any man made gods..including the one your fond of mentioning.  You completely misunderstand me..which is my failing I'm sure.  Words cannot express what I believe, or at least, suspect.  Some days my suspicions are stronger than others.   

You said that people will give Buddhism less flak because there's no god to evidence yes? 

Yet every one of those gods listed are no longer worshiped for that very reason aren't they? Better answers? 

As such, why are current gods not subject to the same? Why are they not every bit as redundant as those gods? What offers modern gods more validity than the previous ones we made up? 

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the discussion I'm having with Crazy Horse concerning consciousness?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 2:53 AM, psyche101 said:

Why do so many spirituality orientated insist on this? Why do you fear scientist's so? I mean it's Graziano's work. Why would my explanation of what is very much his be better than the actual horse's mouth? I really struggle as to why this is common with spiritual orientated believers. 

It's really astoundingly simple. 

Do you understand the body schema theory? Simply put, your brain is monitoring your body without prominent attention. A subconscious action telling your body what parts of space your arms body and legs occupy. 

The attention schema theory is simply an extension of that. It's awareness of our surroundings. Billions of evolved responses from the moment the first creatures crawled out of the water and into land. Weather, identifying markers to show what is poisonous, what is not, how to recognise predator and prey. Orientation and using the earth's magnetic field. A record of the best way to survive.

Every tiny piece of information that has entered every ancestoral mammalian brain over the last few hundred million years filtered and organised into an organ that helps us navigate the environment and how to survive in it. Millions of years of learning all combined to become what we know as consiouness. 

Elegantly simple yet powerful by application. And it makes much more sense than man's philosophies of spiritual ideologies. Also it's accountable to evolution. As such, I don't see how it's not clearly the very best explanation of consiouness to date. 

First of all I would rather talk with you, than have to read through a scientific paper. Unless the theory really grabbed me..

And to be honest, I can agree with what you wrote, but I should add something.

What this is talking about is the subconscious mind. And there are theories and notions about how trauma, for example, is passed down through the genes from one generation to the next. I have zero issue with this idea, 

But there is a conscious mind too. The masculine aspect that is supposed to pay attention, to stand guard against unhelpful ideas, to direct if a meaningful way etc.

But, and here's the difference, consciousness is seen as something beyond the mind, something one may rest, and abide within. Without any thoughts being generated.

And couple this with a heart felt feeling of gratitude and compassion, then the peace and stillness only grows and deepens.

This is the Spiritual Life, and this is something anyone may know for themselves.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Horta said:

I can't really decide. It's one of those things that is either all or nothing, if you get what I mean. As I see it, I have either had a glimpse of reality, or experienced a weird episode of temporal lobe epilepsy... It had a powerful effect anyway lol.

That's interesting, I assume the effect was a powerfully positive one?

As to happiness being a choice, I have all sorts of objections. If I seem hyper critical, please don't take it personally.

Please speak your truth freely...lol

Firstly I  have all sorts of doubts that choice exists in any genuine sense. I see it far more likely that this is an illusion. Though it's probably best not to argue that here, as much as note it. Not everyone likes to contemplate that and for whatever reason, others simply don't seem able to contemplate it. It never ends well.

Well I think you have a good point. Like, how many of our choices are actually ours? How many are habitual, etc? If you want to dive into this question at some point then please do.

I also think the definition of "happiness" is lacking and the method for achieving it very vague (as to how and why). It can mean very different things to different people and so far we might as well have "try to be nice, you'll be happier." That simply won't be true for everyone.

Happiness is an inner feeling, an emotion, and not something that can be easily explained by words.. But, we all know it when it shows up.

Whether you gravitate to such things (the "mystical" and its emphasis on tolerance, compassion and so on) itself is unlikely to be the choice we think it is. It's far more likely that this owes a great deal to our formative environment. At a certain point our psyche is developed and while we can change, we don't usually change radically.

I disagree with this point. People do change, even radically. A powerful experience may knock you over at any moment, and then one is never the same again. And so I guess the question is, can one try to induce these experiences for oneself?

For other people from different formative environments, happiness amounts to taking unhinged sociopaths like Ayn Rand seriously lol. The weak deserve to be dominated by the strong, those born iunderprivelaged deserve to be unhappy and should be exploited. Accruing wealth and power leads to happiness and contentment for them. Aka "social Darwinism". We have whole societies and institutions with this ethos, and many claim it has made them happy and content. How can we say they are wrong?

Well, I look at the unhinged, war-mongers doing the rounds today, and even if they dare claim to be happy, we can clearly see through all their lies..

As to the underprivileged, the idea that you can be content this way seems not only wrong, but unhelpful. One of the more perverse sentiments is surely the religious idea the jesus loves you for your suffering. That is simply another way of saying jesus is an a--hole. It only makes people apathetic when a far more revolutionary approach would serve them better.

Well this is where a spiritually and a personal perspective is needed. Suffering, like any problem, can be seen as a awake-up call. It may be seen as an opportunity to grow, and to learn. Transcending the mere physical difficulties, to a plane of joy and happiness no matter the circumstances one may find themselves in. Suffering is the beginning, a need to put those dark thoughts and emotions behind us. Happiness, joy and bliss are the end result.

The very idea that displaying kindness and compassion will make you happy also has plenty of obvious counter examples. From the human and civil rights movements and people within. Lots of people have suffered terribly for their compassion. Although I doubt jesus really existed, there is an important metaphor there. He was full of compassion, yet suffered miserably, he was anything but happy or content. It has been noted that a famous verse reads simply "Jesus wept". You won't find a verse saying "jesus had a good belly laugh because his compassion made him so happy and content".

Every action has its reaction. Every cause had its effect. Those actions born of love shall bear a certain fruit, and those actions coming from a selfish desire, shall ultimately bear witness to pain and suffering. Sometimes these results take a long time to mature, and sometimes they take seconds. But, the more genuine one is, the quicker and more intense that blissfulness becomes.. Its simply a matter of cause and effect.

The more "mystical" idea of happiness, as a feeling of peace within is something that I find more appealing. Yet I have never been able to find an example of anyone who claimed to have such a thing as fundamental to their psychology. Although I know many claim it's possible, it's always something to be achieved in the future. Like the sign over the bar saying "free beer all day tomorrow" lol.

Free beer what now!!!

Its just a matter of intent, of practice, of refinement, and of patients. But YOU may know for yourself.

The only people I have met who claimed to have it and be able to teach others were quite laughably lying and would make good subjects for some PhD student interested in studying Personality Disorders.

Yes, there are folks like this... 

Happiness is fleeting as they say. Something about all of this doesn't seem practical.

I would say, that for the unenlightened mind, happiness is indeed fleeting, and yet as one approaches GOD, enlightenment, the happier, less stressed, less concerned and more peaceful one becomes.

Intent, practice, refinement, and patients.

To cultivate a garden takes time, effort, and hard work, but then one lets nature take its course...

Hope you don't mind me answering like this?

It seems like the best way.

15 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You said that people will give Buddhism less flak because there's no god to evidence yes

Yet every one of those gods listed are no longer worshiped for that very reason aren't they? Better answers? 

As such, why are current gods not subject to the same? Why are they not every bit as redundant as those gods? What offers modern gods more validity than the previous ones we made up? 

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the discussion I'm having with Crazy Horse concerning consciousness?

Yes.

... I dunno.   As I said, I don't believe in any man made gods.   I believe in some sort of Pre physical Cause for , or sort of partner of,  physicality.. and which without , physicality could not exist...and I have a hunch that before long Scientists may be suggesting that very idea...  of course ,I could be entirely wrong )   my belief first began over 50 years ago while learning some basics of Hindhuism.  I basically believe that all of reality is one  BEING..  as 'out of my gourd' or  'unsettleingly ignorant' as that may sound .. :P

I'd best stay out of the discussion between Crazy Horse and yourself... I respect both of you.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Good morning, I will try to answer your questions according to my ability at this time keep in mind I a student.

1. Do you think Reincarnation/Rebirth is a real physical event ,or,  just some sort of metaphorical concept !??

Yes I do believe that reincarnation does occur. I believe it is a natural process that is necessary to continue your quest to reach enlightenment. A single life time will not provide the time necessary to learn to give up and clear your mind of the impediments that prevent you from attaining your goal. 

2. If Reincarnation is a real physical process...where do 'we' go in between lives?   or  does Rebirth happen at the instant a life ends??     And, indeed, what happens to 'us'  if we reach Nirvana?   Existence?   Non-Existence?   What is your understanding of the teachings on these two questions ?

2a. After death our Spirit will remain and seek out through the need of attachment a new body and a new life. How long this may take is subjective and based upon Karma. However, in most Buddhist Traditions it is taught that it will take 49 days after death takes place for rebirth to occur. But again this is based on how your Karmic accumulation of positive and negative actions  ( cause and effect ) from your previous life will effect your rebirth and  it also determines which realm you will be reborn into. 

2b. Once all suffering in life has been overcome and one achieves Nirvana ( enlightenment) the cycle of rebirth ends. At this point you become a spiritual conciseness which is unable to interfere or communicate with humanity. However, your not alone you will always be a concise part of spiritual conciseness of all Buddhas past, present, and future.

This is my understanding, at this time. I hope this helps.

Yes, immensely helpful.  I can't thank you enough for answering and sharing your understanding.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, immensely helpful.  I can't thank you enough for answering and sharing your understanding.    

Like I said before if I can help I would be glad to.

peace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

First of all I would rather talk with you, than have to read through a scientific paper. Unless the theory really grabbed me..

Fair enough. To be honest it's more than one theory, but the attention schema theory strikes me as the trunk of how consiouness evolves. 

23 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

And to be honest, I can agree with what you wrote, but I should add something.

What this is talking about is the subconscious mind. And there are theories and notions about how trauma, for example, is passed down through the genes from one generation to the next. I have zero issue with this idea, 

But there is a conscious mind too. The masculine aspect that is supposed to pay attention, to stand guard against unhelpful ideas, to direct if a meaningful way etc.

But, and here's the difference, consciousness is seen as something beyond the mind, something one may rest, and abide within. Without any thoughts being generated.

And couple this with a heart felt feeling of gratitude and compassion, then the peace and stillness only grows and deepens.

This is the Spiritual Life, and this is something anyone may know for themselves.

It's also brain driven, as we expanded our diets and increased brain capacity, and bipedalism freed our hands to perform other tasks, we developed compassion along with it. We learned that older tribe members would be valuable through experience. Most mamals have a strong attachment to their young. Our brain being complex has evolved a neural network. It connects all areas of the brain. Cognitive scientists have termed a "mental workshop", which explains the ability to imagine. To explain, consider the common saying regarding angels dancing on the head of a pin, the aforementioned mental workshop allows one to connect the mental imagery of the angel and that of a pin, giving one the ability to combine those to imagine an angel dancing on a shiny surface, panning out to find the surface is the head of a pin. We can make that which hasn't happened happen in our heads. Another non physical world if you will, and what I feel deeper religious ideologies might actually be referring to. In the same way one could personify  natural events as gods, and we did just that coming up with characters from Zeus to Yaweh. Spirituality is somewhat the spaces inbetween the way I see it. A remnant as we hang onto ideas rather than what is. I have no doubt many spiritual paths lead to atheism.

I think giving credit where credit is due more points at the incredible complexity and abilities of the human brain rather than something else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, lightly said:

Yes.

... I dunno.   As I said, I don't believe in any man made gods.   I believe in some sort of Pre physical Cause for , or sort of partner of,  physicality.. and which without , physicality could not exist...and I have a hunch that before long Scientists may be suggesting that very idea...  of course ,I could be entirely wrong )   my belief first began over 50 years ago while learning some basics of Hindhuism.  I basically believe that all of reality is one  BEING..  as 'out of my gourd' or  'unsettleingly ignorant' as that may sound .. :P

It sounds just like any religion.

What's the main god idea based in in the west? Islam and Christianity alike?

An unimaginably powerful creator force. A being beyond human comprehension of unity and love. 

Easy sell hey.

Isn't that what you described above?

I think you do believe in man made gods. Your belief sounds like most popular modern gods. 

Impatient lot humans. Have to have answers before we have them. Nature is revealing the secret's of the universe in good time. We have to work for it. 

16 hours ago, lightly said:

I'd best stay out of the discussion between Crazy Horse and yourself... I respect both of you.

I wasn't asking you to take sides, rather  what you thought about the subject of how consiouness has been explained from a very natural evolutionary process as opposed to older man made more mystical philosophies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

An unimaginably powerful creator force. A being beyond human comprehension of unity and love. 

Easy sell hey.

I think you do believe in man made gods. Your belief sounds like most popular modern gods. 

Impatient lot humans. Have to have answers before we have them. Nature is revealing the secret's of the universe in good time. We have to work for it. 

I wasn't asking you to take sides, rather  what you thought about the subject of how consiouness has been explained from a very natural evolutionary process as opposed to older man made more mystical philosophies.

Hello my friend, I certainly do not believe in any omnipotent deities of any kind. The main reason I choose Buddhism as philosophy is because of the following:

1) Buddha was man he lived and died like a mortal man. He didn't return, he didn't perform miracles, and he is only remembered by his Philosophy / Teachings which were written during his life time with his personal instruction.

2) The most important part of this philosophy for me is the fact that this philosophy is based upon cause and effect. All of Buddhas teachings are designed to correct your own personal thought process, not to change anyone or anything to fit your outlook. I dont no of any other Philosophy or organized religious belief that's only purpose is designed to be an individual quest into your own mind, which is designed to make you a better member of the human race.

3) Last, it is not pushed upon you and unless you choose to learn about it. My first experiences with Buddhist Monks were a test for me, when I was introduced to Monks at Temple and I never mentioned my interest in the Philosophy. Not once over the course of the day was the Buddhist Philosophy brought into the conversation. At a later date when I returned and asked specific questions about Buddhism my questions were answered. I loved the fact that there was no pressure and no matter the conversation, and that I was treated in a very kind manner on all occasions.

Take care my friend 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hello my friend, I certainly do not believe in any omnipotent deities of any kind. The main reason I choose Buddhism as philosophy is because of the following:

1) Buddha was man he lived and died like a mortal man. He didn't return, he didn't perform miracles, and he is only remembered by his Philosophy / Teachings which were written during his life time with his personal instruction.

2) The most important part of this philosophy for me is the fact that this philosophy is based upon cause and effect. All of Buddhas teachings are designed to correct your own personal thought process, not to change anyone or anything to fit your outlook. I dont no of any other Philosophy or organized religious belief that's only purpose is designed to be an individual quest into your own mind, which is designed to make you a better member of the human race.

3) Last, it is not pushed upon you and unless you choose to learn about it. My first experiences with Buddhist Monks were a test for me, when I was introduced to Monks at Temple and I never mentioned my interest in the Philosophy. Not once over the course of the day was the Buddhist Philosophy brought into the conversation. At a later date when I returned and asked specific questions about Buddhism my questions were answered. I loved the fact that there was no pressure and no matter the conversation, and that I was treated in a very kind manner on all occasions.

Take care my friend 

Buddhism is unique. It can do something religion cannot. Learn. Change beliefs for science.

https://www.dalailama.com/news/2005/our-faith-in-science

The Dalai Lama challenged the ancient Buddhist belief that the moon was lit from within. Science said otherwise. He investigated it himself. He changed belief because if fact. 

I respect that. As I understand Buddhism, it's more a way of life. I don't think of it as a philosophy about answering questions, more about asking them. I don't see it as a religion or a philosophy in the asking questions sense. 

Who can't respect that. Even an atheist can respect that :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Buddhism is unique. It can do something religion cannot. Learn. Change beliefs for science.

https://www.dalailama.com/news/2005/our-faith-in-science

The Dalai Lama challenged the ancient Buddhist belief that the moon was lit from within. Science said otherwise. He investigated it himself. He changed belief because if fact. 

I respect that. As I understand Buddhism, it's more a way of life. I don't think of it as a philosophy about answering questions, more about asking them. I don't see it as a religion or a philosophy in the asking questions sense. 

Who can't respect that. Even an atheist can respect that :lol:

We have passed each other in these threads many times without quoting each other. I realize this is based upon mutual respect and our friendship that has grown from rockier times in the past. The only reason I post to these threads for the most part, is because someone will ask me to join in and share my beliefs. The reason I quoted you here this evening, is because I was uncertain you understood what I Truly believed, and out of respect I want to share my beliefs with you. Then you taught me something I didn't know concerning Buddhist beliefs concerning the Dalai Lama, so that has even made the exchange better because I learned something new.

Thanks for the reply my friend it was enlightening!:tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

We have passed each other in these threads many times without quoting each other. I realize this is based upon mutual respect and our friendship that has grown from rockier times in the past. The only reason I post to these threads for the most part, is because someone will ask me to join in and share my beliefs. The reason I quoted you here this evening, is because I was uncertain you understood what I Truly believed, and out of respect I want to share my beliefs with you. Then you taught me something I didn't know concerning Buddhist beliefs concerning the Dalai Lama, so that has even made the exchange better because I learned something new.

Thanks for the reply my friend it was enlightening!:tu:

You're welcome bud. I see Buddhism as more alike new atheism than religion. It's mystic qualities of meditation I honestly think make some read more into than there is. When posters make it out to be looking into other world's or dimensions, to me it's like Papageorge talking about Chakras or something. I respect the traditional practices and just try to see them at their base level. That's where IMHO, Buddhism shines on its own. I think we get along because you live a Buddhist life, not preach it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Dalai Lama uses Buddha as a mouthpiece to lend legitimacy to his claims to being a reincarnated divine ruler... 

And accordingly, he is now drowning in his own poisonous karmic prison. 

~

• Like 1

" The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of it's existence."   Nikola Tesla 

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Fair enough. To be honest it's more than one theory, but the attention schema theory strikes me as the trunk of how consiouness evolves. 

It's also brain driven, as we expanded our diets and increased brain capacity, and bipedalism freed our hands to perform other tasks, we developed compassion along with it. We learned that older tribe members would be valuable through experience. Most mamals have a strong attachment to their young. Our brain being complex has evolved a neural network. It connects all areas of the brain. Cognitive scientists have termed a "mental workshop", which explains the ability to imagine. To explain, consider the common saying regarding angels dancing on the head of a pin, the aforementioned mental workshop allows one to connect the mental imagery of the angel and that of a pin, giving one the ability to combine those to imagine an angel dancing on a shiny surface, panning out to find the surface is the head of a pin. We can make that which hasn't happened happen in our heads. Another non physical world if you will, and what I feel deeper religious ideologies might actually be referring to. In the same way one could personify  natural events as gods, and we did just that coming up with characters from Zeus to Yaweh. Spirituality is somewhat the spaces inbetween the way I see it. A remnant as we hang onto ideas rather than what is. I have no doubt many spiritual paths lead to atheism.

I think giving credit where credit is due more points at the incredible complexity and abilities of the human brain rather than something else. 

Today, in the world, there is a battle of wills/Will

What one might call, "good vs evil".

It is pure vibration.

Yet..

Nothing can compare with YOU.

Hope THAT helps?

• Confused 2

On April 2, 2021 at 1:53 AM, psyche101 said:

Easy sell hey.

(I guess if it does resemble a religion, I think it may share similarities with basic Hindhuism.   ('the' Buddha was a Hindhi Prince)

Most Religions preach that God is Seperate ,and above us.  A Man-Like creator, ruler, and judge.

in my belief, there is ONE Universal BEING which is the living creative force of nature and is LIFE itself.  

Consciousness is individual and Separate.. that's why we see ourselves as Separate beings.  Lucid consciousness  is where we think, imagine, and dream.  Our True Awareness resides in the Essence/Life of Our Being, where it Observes our consciousness.  I believe it's this Being which is looking out through our eyes right now. !  :)  (I realize how outlandish,and crazy?,that may sound to most)

consciousness is like ripples, to raging waves, on the Surface  of our Being, which is perfect calm ...and just IS ,so all else can BE.   It is our consciousness, and the way we use it, which causes all of our confusion and misery...while our inner universal Being is perfect CALM.

we meditate, and go for walks, and do a million other things to try to quiet and calm our consciousness and find some peace/contentment.

(see disclaimer at bottom of my posts). :P    

Edited by lightly

On 3/31/2021 at 7:54 AM, Scudbuster said:

Well, science is never at a dead end....if there's evidence to be examined, science can be conducted.

And religion is man made, theres no evidence to the contrary......and the powers to be dearly want to keep it that way, it's one massive, tax free, business.

And contributions to society vs religion..? Well, it's simply no contest:

Real Contributions.jpg

Well durr.... Jesus had to die BEFORE his contribution mattered ;)

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:57 AM, lightly said:

" The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of it's existence."   Nikola Tesla 

As great an engineer as he was, he was wrong often when he dabbled at science. 

• Like 4

On 4/3/2021 at 3:22 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Today, in the world, there is a battle of wills/Will

What one might call, "good vs evil".

It is pure vibration.

Yet..

Nothing can compare with YOU.

Hope THAT helps?

Not in the slightest.

I have no idea how that applies to what I posted.

• Haha 3