Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1970s 'Mothman' photograph surfaces

UM-Bot

Listen like I said, I don't even care about the subject, just wanted to share my one experience. Have a good night folks. 

14 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Lucky guess? That the guy would have a dead sister who's nic name was bug? Come on. I've never heard anyone have that nic name in my life aside from her. 

I missed this edit.  You should get out more because I've heard the nickname Bug a number of times, as I'm sure others here have.  My niece sometimes uses it as a term of endearment with her firstborn for crissakes.  Not hardly impressive.

ETA: My daughter also uses this nickname on one of her dogs, now that I think about it.  

Argument from personal incredulity in any event.  It the cold reader in question would have gotten it wrong, they would have just shotgunned another nickname.  "Bug . . .  Bun . . .  Bunny . . . Beanie . . .  etc.

Edited by Resume
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Resume said:

I missed this edit.  You should get out more because I've heard the nickname Bug a number of times, as I'm sure others here have.  My niece sometimes uses it as a term of endearment with her firstborn for crissakes.  Not hardly impressive.

ETA: My daughter also uses this nickname on one of her dogs, now that I think about it.  

Argument from personal incredulity in any event.  It the cold reader in question would have gotten it wrong, they would have just shotgunned another nickname.  "Bug . . .  Bun . . .  Bunny . . . Beanie . . .  etc.

What the hell is it with you people and having to insult others?

Read the thread. There was zero shot gunning. BTW My Aunt wasn't a child. She was a woman who died in her early 50's. Was the only full grown women I've ever heard of who's name was completely replaced with her nic name. No one called her by her real name. That isn't even close to normal. In fact she was one of my closest aunts, and I didn't know her real name till I was a teenager. 

She quoted something that my grandmother absolutely would have said as well. Care to take a guess? BTW my grandmother was a very unique woman. Let's hear it, if it so easy and obvious. 

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

What the hell is it with you people and having to insult others?

Read the thread. There was zero shot gunning. BTW My Aunt wasn't a child. She was a woman who died in her early 50's. Was the only full grown women I've ever heard of who's name was completely replaced with her nic name. No one called her by her real name. That isn't even close to normal. In fact she was one of my closest aunts, and I didn't know her real name till I was a teenager. 

She quoted something that my grandmother absolutely would have said as well. Care to take a guess? BTW my grandmother was a very unique woman. Let's hear it, if it so easy and obvious. 

How is being informed about how a mentalist tricks people insulting?  They fool people for a living; some of them even fool themselves and call themselves mediums.  They have lots of tricks, but the best trick is knowing how easily it is to fool people, especially those who wish to be fooled.  Your story is the same story told over and over and over. Perhaps a lucky guess here, a Barnum statement there, and the willingness of those being read to allow themselves to be read without even knowing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Resume said:

I put the nonsense on ignore as he was a bit too obsessed with me and seemed to be getting unhinged over all this but you guys quoting him defeats me ignoring him, C'est la vie.

Ive been in these fields ive seen this countless times where a person just cant have been duped by cold/hot reading etc they know how it went down.

This case is really reaching since we are suppose to buy in that its his memory of a recording that he wasnt even present at, and did any of us hear the recording ourselves?

At some point you just have to accept these folks like that they fell for it and leave them to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Resume said:

How is being informed about how a mentalist tricks people insulting? 

it isn’t. That isn’t what I was talking about, and you know it for crissakes 

4 minutes ago, Resume said:

They fool people for a living; 

I know. I’ve clearly said several times I’m aware of them. 

Lol notice even when he “has me on ignore”, he just can’t stop. And I’m the one obsessed. Smh

7 minutes ago, Resume said:

Perhaps a lucky guess here, a Barnum statement there, and the willingness of those being read to allow themselves to be read without even knowing it.

Picture this seen it countless times, its free readings night, some weeks 15 people would show others 100, you never knew so there is a good turn out and the reader is at the podium looking around at who he oe she will go at, 

Sometimes they will do something like look at a person where a group is together and toss a name saying they are getting that, 8 out of 10 times someone in the room blurts thats me or so i  so, and the door was just opened and if the person was in that group it looked even cooler and everyone in the room thinks wow the reader knew they name, no, they didnt,

I can use the same idea to make you pick whatever card from a deck i desire and you would swear you pickrd your card fair and square, 

Some folks ego will not allow them to admit they were duped.

6 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

it isn’t. That isn’t what I was talking about, and you know it for crissakes 

I know. I’ve clearly said several times I’m aware of them. 

so you know the difference between those who fool & those who don't.. interesting- how do you know?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

Some folks ego will not allow them to admit they were duped.

This is especially true when smart folks think they are too smart to be fooled. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-cant-be-too-smart-for-a-con-artist-2016-3

Psychologist: Being smart could make you more prone to fall for a con artist's lies.

What's notable about the case, writer and psychologist Maria Konnikova told Business Insider, is that Madoff didn't con a bunch of rubes, hidden from the public eye.

He took hundreds of millions of dollars from banks like the Royal Bank of Scotland, schools like Stony Brook University, and individuals like New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon.

Rather than preying on inexperienced investors, Madoff took advantage of confident ones with years of experience. It taps into a fundamental truth that Konnikova found when researching her book "The Confidence Game," about the psychology of the con.

"I think sometimes people who are more intelligent actually make even better victims than people who aren't quite as sophisticated and who aren't quite as educated," she said. Essentially, if you're absolutely certain you're too clever to fall for a scam, then you're actually the perfect mark.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Resume said:

"I think sometimes people who are more intelligent actually make even better victims

yeah, only sometimes- 'sometimes'= a highly skilled driver can make a mistake

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

so you know the difference between those who fool & those who don't.. interesting- how do you know?

Hey listen, I’m not asking anyone to believe me. I’m really just asking to not be treated like I’m an idiot. I’m not. I’ve never seen a psychic outside of this one situation that I couldn’t sniff out as fraud. 

It’s the patronizing and insults I really have issue with. 

Just now, preacherman76 said:

It’s the patronizing and insults I really have issue with. 

i'm in tears

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

i'm in tears

I knew you’d understand. 

You want me to sing you a song?

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I’ve never seen a psychic outside of this one situation that I couldn’t sniff out as fraud. 

so answer the question:

how do you know? what is your sniffing process? explain

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

so answer the question:

how do you know? what is your sniffing process? explain

No song than?

Na, there isn’t anything I can say that won’t be dismissed, and honestly again, I don’t care enough about the subject. 

So what say you? Was that the infamous mothman? Or yogy bear?

16 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So what say you? Was that the infamous mothman? Or yogy bear?

fascinating-  looking at the picture I can see it's a bear straight away... Same as most/ everyone else.

Allow me to rephrase that if I may:

looking at the picture I can see 'the bleeding obvious'... Same as most/ everyone else.

Normally folk like my good self feel no need to prove the bleeding obvious & leave folk like your good self to waffle on, enjoying the fantasy because there is no proof either way.

What fascinates me is you still deep down kinda believe (going by your replies) it is what's claimed even after it's been proved to be BS... Someone tells you it's a picture of mothman, then it must be mothman.. Oh well- have fun, my friend;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yes I did. Hu? I never said any different 

hey preacher.. My deepest apologies to you in public!!!!!

No not you, my stupid mistake- I was referring to someone else! I'm an idiot! SORRY:blush:

• Like 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

hey preacher.. My deepest apologies to you in public!!!!!

No not you, my stupid mistake- I was referring to someone else! I'm an idiot! SORRY:blush:

No worries. :tu:

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, Jaded1 said:

I don't normally pipe up but I've been biting my tongue after seeing some of the incredibly naive comments on this thread. Papa, do you realise how incredibly ridiculous you sound? You believe everything's paranormal. You'd be a conman's dream because you believe every wild claim going whilst ignoring the most reasonable and plausible explanations. You're absolutely deluded if you believe any of your "sources".

In PG’s defence, he does have a (vaguely and ill-defined to us) rubric for assessing the truthiness of phenomena, and he does reject some things based on that rubric.

• Like 3

Funny this very topic came up the other day when I was talking to my son. I can't even remember the topic, but he asked me where his aunt [insert name] lived when he was little. And I said 'Point Pleasant, remember the Mothman?'. He doesn't remember the Mothman. I remember the Mothman, never saw him myself. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

In PG’s defence, he does have a (vaguely and ill-defined to us) rubric for assessing the truthiness of phenomena, and he does reject some things based on that rubric.

"Some" lets be honest its very seldom that PGs cheese o meter does peg paranormal,

Its fine its what he sincerely believes so i can respect that what i dont respect is anyone who makes a granduous claim as fact and refuses to support their claim,

For example he side track a thread saying a dead kid channels mothman a dying alien race yet offers zero to collaborate such claims, he got eye rolls for true believers on that one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Hmm... Most of the time I just see a bunch of semi-random percentages on the "Papometer" (Poopometer) that tend to favour a paranormal explanation (although not exclusively so). As I said, I normally bite my tongue, but saying that the mothmen are a dying alien race because some dead kid who's being channelled by a group of mediums "says so" is bonkers, even for him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jaded1 said:

Hmm... Most of the time I just see a bunch of semi-random percentages on the "Papometer" (Poopometer) that tend to favour a paranormal explanation (although not exclusively so). As I said, I normally bite my tongue, but saying that the mothmen are a dying alien race because some dead kid who's being channelled by a group of mediums "says so" is bonkers, even for him.

Any epistemology that allows one to use one unproven/nonexistent thing as evidence for another unproven/nonexistent thing is a crap epistemology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked