Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spooky tales don't spark fear in aphantasics

UM-Bot

5 minutes of googling told me that aphantasia and mind-blindness are two very different things.
The first is the lack in ability to produce mental images, while the other is the lack of empathy, often seen with autism.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 4

So am I one? Horror movies never bothered me one bit.  Even the scarey vids on youtube are boring. Real life has more than enough horrors to lift my short hairs. Plus I have an abundance of empathy. Seems like one more pidgeon hole article to label a person, and cause them angst.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, zep73 said:

5 minutes of googling told me that aphantasia and mind-blindness are two very different things.
The first is the lack in ability to produce mental images, while the other is the lack of empathy, often seen with autism.

Hmm, strange, I've found several sources (including universities and science journals) that seem to use the term 'mind-blindness' in relation to aphantasia.

Perhaps the term has more than one meaning and is applicable in both cases ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saru said:

Hmm, strange, I've found several sources (including universities and science journals) that seem to use the term 'mind-blindness' in relation to aphantasia.

Perhaps the term has more than one meaning and is applicable in both cases ?

Could be. Wikipedia is not always to be trusted.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zep73 said:

Maybe our BOT needs a tuneup :unsure:

• Haha 3

Oh yeah, whats that movie called.. where people fainted in the cinemas watching it...... oh oh The Exorcist!!? right? Wasn't scary at all! funny yes, but scary. nope