Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Are We Here?

Crazy Horse

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I didn't ask for word- spaghetti, I asked for a simple yes or no.

And I know that you know, or think you know.

All I want is an honest answer.

A straight answer.

I know my English isn't perfect, but I do hope you understand my previous question.

I gave the best answer I am capable of giving, to explain what i think. That was about as simple as my mind can get. :)  

It explained what i think and what i know 

The question, IMO,  can not be  answered with a simple yes or no. 

Actually your English is better than many posters here, and i had no idea it wasn't your first language 

Perhaps you could simply and clearly explain what you  are actually asking me 

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Sorry Walker, I skipped this part of your answer to me:

"Unless a mind is recorded while alive, and stored somewhere,  it will cease to exist after death. "

Thank you.

Edit:

So, according to you, the mind is a product, but not a  independant entity.

ah that explains it 

Yes the mind is an evolved product 

it requires a host body and brain for survival and operation but it's nature means it can potentially be recorded, stored, and duplicated both in machines/computers, and in other organic hosts (bodies/brains)  It can become independent of it's ORIGINAL host body/brain   but (as yet) will still require one to survive and evolve /learn grow. 

24 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

are you talking 'placebo' here?

In some cases, but it is more than, or different from,  simple placebos 

There are thousands of studies on this and hundreds of meta studies  Faith/belief has been shown to reduce mortality  rates   from cancer, and increase remission and survival rates.

it improves healing and recovery times from  physical trauma and illness.

it significantly improves psychological health and many aspects of  physical well being. So much so that, where a faith is combined with healthy living caused by that faith, it can  improve longevity by up to10 years   and maintain greater psychological and physical  well being during those years.  

Ironically, given my own heart issues, it has proven to be particularly effective in reducing cardiovascular diseases.

A positive faith reduces anxiety, stress, and blood pressure.

Indeed it has been proven to be as effective as prescribed blood pressure medicines in reducing blood pressure,   in some studies. 

Oh I am not talking miracle or divine intervention if that is what you  were asking.  .

Religion and faith evolved as pro  survival aspects of human cognition, as we evolved increased self  awareness, which in turn increased levels of stress and anxiety  (according to modern theory in Psychology and cognitive evolution )  

Edited by Mr Walker

9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

There are thousands of studies on this and hundreds of meta studies  Faith/belief has been shown to reduce mortality  rates   from cancer, and increase remission and survival rates.

sorry you've lost me (probably my fault for not reading enough i guess)-- Faith/belief in what: God/s?

"I'm thinking of thinking of calling her right

After my afternoon nap.

I'm thinking of thinking of sending her flowers

Right after Bonnie gets back.

So many fishes

Left in the sea,

So many fishes, but no one for me.

I'm thinking of thinking of hooking a love,

Soon after supper is done."

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Critical  analysis of these papers does not disprove the  facts discovered  or even call them into question. 

It may raise questions about specifics, and further  details an understandings which require further studies, but the knowledge that fluid intelligence can be improved with cognitive training,  is so accepted now that it is being used all over the world in education and business.     

Yet again you demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about. You need to just stop, man.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Yet again you demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about

prove it

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Sometimes when I read threads on here I imagine some who use the pages of the bible to roll a huge joint, just so they can get high off the word of god. (insert any religion of choice here). 

yep, done that...a few days later I had extreme respiratory problems.

my doctor said it's the worst case of BS on the lungs he's ever seen

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Dejarma said:

sorry you've lost me (probably my fault for not reading enough i guess)-- Faith/belief in what: God/s?

No worries.

First, weekly attendance at any church (of any faith) with a positive message, has the same quality of effect as faith in a positive  religious form.  This is NOT replicated in attendance at other social groups or sporting groups, although such membership may have a similar, lesser, effect. 

But, separately,  faith or belief in any positive religion or spiritual system has the same effects on health without attending a church   (eg on people in aged care homes)The two are separate but similar 

There are many studies with results similar to this, but many more with specific improvements in various aspects of health 

Death risk cut by 40 percent

Prof. Idler and her collegues focused on the data gathered between 2004 and 2014 on more than 18,000 participants. The scientists applied Cox proportional hazards models to calculate the link between religious attendance and all-cause mortality during the decade studied.

The researchers included variables such as religious attendance, the importance of religion, and religious affiliation. Gender, race or ethnicity, education, and income were also considered as potential determinants of health.

They sum up the findings, saying, “After adjustment for confounders, attendance at religious services had a dose-response relationship with mortality, such that respondents who attended frequently [i.e., at least once a week] had a 40 [percent] lower hazard of mortality […] compared with those who never attended.”

Additionally, even people who attended religious ceremonies less often also had a lower chance of dying prematurely, compared with those who did not take part in religious services at all.

The researchers note that this positive effect on health was comparable with that of having a higher income.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320581

There was one exception.

However, those who considered religion “very” important had a 4 percent higher risk of mortality. All the associations found were independent of religious affiliation.

I am not sure why that was and it wasn't explained   However other studies have shown about  a 6% negative correlation 84% positive, and about 10% no correlation  The negative correlation is   usually because  the beliefs held are destructive, or are causing anxiety and stress. 
Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dejarma said:

yep, done that...a few days later I had extreme respiratory problems.

my doctor said it's the worst case of BS on the lungs he's ever seen

That was a good one

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I should have remembered before we began  this debate that you have a mind set which appears to require 100% mathematical proof before you accept anything new 

Ha, so I accuse you of essentially lying about what I think and you respond by lying about what I think.  The above is something you 'remembered'?  Thanks for yet more proof of how you just 'construct' memories out of convenience that have no basis in reality, not that it was ever much disputed. 

You're several layers deep now with your errors.  This whole 'won't accept anything new' is another example of your confusion, you are confusing me with Nuclear who has previous experience with this topic and knew that at one point the general thinking was that fluid intelligence was largely immutable. I on the other hand had never really looked into the term 'fluid intelligence' before this conversation so I had no 'old' position to accept something 'new' for, it's all new.  "You have failed to catch your mistake, you have made two errors...".

In reality, however, you can never truly know anything with100% certainty

Then you understand why I don't use the word 'proven' concerning the potential health benefits of spiritual beliefs that you asked about three sentences earlier.

Cigarette companies once commissioned scientific studies that showed smoking was good for you  but the vast majority of studies proved how dangerous it is   

Your state of mind would have had you believing that the damage of smoking had not been proven,

Just can't help lying about me, I guess it's easier than answering my questions.  You seem to think that determining the 'scientific proof' of a topic comes down to which position has more studies/articles you can find on the internet as I suspected, which makes sense since you have no expertise in analyzing them any deeper.  You just don't seem to recognize how insufficient that superficial method is.  I don't necessarily expect you to since you are not a scientist, it's just that many people logically incorporate 'but I'm not a scientist' to temper the certainty of their conclusions. But for whatever reason you have trouble with humility (and I'm already pretty sure what that 'whatever reason' is).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Well.... That's as solid and as foolproof as any form of intelligence could fluidly get to... consider this hypothesis fully tested, and conclusion proven as "true"

~

• Haha 4

I don't think the question of Why are we here is important, so much at What we choose to do while we are here. We can run circles with the physical, philosophical and even metaphysical reason as to why. Which is just a quest for meaning to one's own existence. You exist for now, what will you do with that existence?

• Like 3

On April 9, 2021 at 8:19 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Liquid Gardens

I did and had read all his posts. When I first encountered him after reading some comments about nuking undesirables(of which I could be interpreted as one of) and went into his profile and read every post he made from the day he joined before I actually engaged in a discussion with him so that I had a diverse although repetitive narration of his perspectives so that I could challenge his ideals. I have done that with several posters of interest like you, Eight Bits, Hammer and many more.:tu:

jmccr8

.  .  Wow, you must be a speeeeeeeed reader !   I'm guessing that must be somewhere around 18 trillion words?

;) Mr. W. ) 

Edited by lightly
Trillion sounds funnier than billion did. .?
  • Haha 4

On 4/11/2021 at 3:33 AM, Mr Walker said:

ah that explains it 

Yes the mind is an evolved product 

it requires a host body and brain for survival and operation but it's nature means it can potentially be recorded, stored, and duplicated both in machines/computers, and in other organic hosts (bodies/brains)  It can become independent of it's ORIGINAL host body/brain   but (as yet) will still require one to survive and evolve /learn grow. 

My next question is: when the transplanted mind wakes up, would it think: What the hell has happened?! Where am *I* now?

Or would it just be an emulation of the mind that actually died? Like Linux is able to emulate Windows, but must certainly is not the same?

Maybe I should put it differently: would it be YOU who woke up in another 'host', or would it be something very similar, but not the same as the original YOU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Maybe I should put it differently: would it be YOU who woke up in another 'host', or would it be something very similar, but not the same as the original YOU.

I think we've tread this idea before on here with Walker. 

We are here to discover our true self.

6 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Speak for yourself--I'm here for the food.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Speak for yourself--I'm here for the food.

The good food is just a reflection of your good self..:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Our self is just an illusion. You don't really exist. You're just a bunch of synapsis firing. We are all nothing.