Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Are We Here?

Crazy Horse

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

To suffer :ph34r:

Kids!  What do you know about suffering?  Why, back in my day...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Occupational Hubris said:

We are a consequence of chemistry 

Created by God.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Why? 

To make the world a better place which improves everyone's quality of life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Why are we here, is there even a reason, is there some point or end goal to achieve?

Or are we merely atoms coming together for awhile, infused with life, before going our separate ways?

My view, unsurprisingly, is based upon a spiritual ideal.

Which is - we are here to know, and to Unite with GOD.

And this being the case, I would also ask, how may we attain such a thing?

All genuine points and views are welcome. Atheistic, agnostic, religious or spiritual.

Do you have a reason for living, and if so, how do you intend to realise that?

We are here to live and die.  That is the for sure part.....everything else is personal opinion as I see it.  Some people might like to include reproduction as a part of the reason why we are here and I get that.  As far as uniting with God goes.....that is something I don’t agree as part of why we are here.  

Do I have a reason for living?  What if I don’t?  It doesn’t change the fact that I am alive whatever the reason may be.  Personally, I have worked my butt off my whole life to “be successful” but in these days, I try to embrace my angels and slay my demons.  Each day I try to be helpful and/or productive, then I try to find ways to enjoy my self and appreciate being alive.  Music, art, and golf are three of my personal favorites.  I like to party, try to exercise regularly, and appreciate physical relations if you know what I mean.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And what triggers that happiness, those chemicals?

That is what I was saying and don't forget to each their own.

• Like 1

In my view, we are here to improve ourselves and our posterity; to transcend our origins and our antecedents, and finally, in a near-infinity of time, to unite in the source, and as the source of our own creation.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

I mean, the title of the thread is, why are we here?

Becuase we, life,, are a consequence of chemistry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Created by God.

Highly doubtful 

That's purely a cultural goal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Highly doubtful 

But you don't know and the accuracy of my statement may depend on what type of God you believe in.

9 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

That's purely a cultural goal.

And in which culture is that not true?  If it's a constant across cultures, which to my knowledge it is, then it isn't about culture it's about nature.

Edited by OverSword

As the question was famously answered many a times....

"who wants to know? "

Or

"who is it that is asking? "

~

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But you don't know and the accuracy of my statement may depend on what type of God you believe in.

Irrelevant. There is no reason to assume any gods exist 

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And in which culture is that not true?  If it's a constant across cultures, which to my knowledge it is, then it isn't about culture it's about nature.

No. It's still cultural. Our only biological imperative is to survive long enough to breed.

• Like 1

Kids!  What do you know about suffering?  Why, back in my day...........

...when we were watching TV if we wanted to change the channel we had to actually physically rise from our beanbag chairs and step over our pet rocks and physically turn a knob on the television!  O' the effort expended and woe we endured back in the day just to watch something, please god anything on our whopping 20" black and white screen; might as well break out the butter churns and looms too for how primitive we had to live...

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

...when we were watching TV if we wanted to change the channel we had to actually physically rise from our beanbag chairs and step over our pet rocks and physically turn a knob on the television! 

That wasn't the case for my Dad. When he was watching TV and wanted the channel changed he used his "remote control". 

Of course that was me LOL

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

We are here to do what we want most, that we can do, every single second.  I don't think we can avoid it.

• Like 2

Depending on the system, different beats for the different generation... 

[00.03:25]

~

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Why are we here, is there even a reason, is there some point or end goal to achieve?

Or are we merely atoms coming together for awhile, infused with life, before going our separate ways?

All genuine points and views are welcome. Atheistic, agnostic, religious or spiritual.

What God are speaking about?

8 hours ago, Guyver said:

We are here to live and die.  That is the for sure part.....everything else is personal opinion as I see it.  Some people might like to include reproduction as a part of the reason why we are here and I get that.  As far as uniting with God goes.....that is something I don’t agree as part of why we are here.  

Do I have a reason for living?  What if I don’t?  It doesn’t change the fact that I am alive whatever the reason may be.  Personally, I have worked my butt off my whole life to “be successful” but in these days, I try to embrace my angels and slay my demons.  Each day I try to be helpful and/or productive, then I try to find ways to enjoy my self and appreciate being alive.  Music, art, and golf are three of my personal favorites.  I like to party, try to exercise regularly, and appreciate physical relations if you know what I mean.

Yes I know what you mean..

And I don't have an issue with any of the above.

Each to their own so long as we are not hurting someone else, or ruining the planet etc..

Are you happy, contented, or do you have some big dream or question as of yet unfulfilled?

By the way, the uniting with GOD part of the OP, was just my personal thing, I wouldn't expect everybody to have the same intent in life..

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

Simple, yet perfectly formed...:D

8 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

That is what I was saying and don't forget to each their own.

You said something like, "happiness and pain were chemical reactions of the body.."

And I asked, what triggers those reactions, in the first place?

7 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Becuase we, life,, are a consequence of chemistry 

Is life a consequence of chemistry, or is chemistry a consequence of life?

Personally I see life as going-on after this physical incarnation, so chemistry, although quite handy for the here and now, isn't the end all, and be all, of our existence.

And where does free will come into play?

And love?

And happiness?

Feelings and emotions...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

What God are speaking about?

I answered this question, from you, already..

On the "Has any advance in science been as beneficial as religion" thread, post #102.

"I guess I would explain GOD as PURE CONSCIOUNESS.

The Ground of all Being.

An Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent Intelligent Living Consciousness.

Immoveable Unchanging Substantial Essential and Real. 

One may consider the whole Universe in this Mind of GOD, and therefore, we are all held within GOD, and GOD is within everything too.

I am heavily influenced by Buddhistic thought, and the message of Christ.

Cultivating this inner life of New Thought!"

I have no name for this GOD, only thoughts and feelings.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

We are here to do what we want most, that we can do, every single second.  I don't think we can avoid it.

That's fair enough, but wants and desires change over time..

Normally, I think, they change from an over-all selfish perspective, to a more selfless ideal..

The up-shot being a happier and more contented life.

What say you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bison said:

In my view, we are here to improve ourselves and our posterity; to transcend our origins and our antecedents, and finally, in a near-infinity of time, to unite in the source, and as the source of our own creation.  

And so the question becomes...how?

How may one unite with Source?

I mean, why wait?

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I answered this question, from you, already..

On the "Has any advance in science been as beneficial as religion" thread, post #102.

"I guess I would explain GOD as PURE CONSCIOUNESS.

The Ground of all Being.

An Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent Intelligent Living Consciousness.

Immoveable Unchanging Substantial Essential and Real. 

One may consider the whole Universe in this Mind of GOD, and therefore, we are all held within GOD, and GOD is within everything too.

I am heavily influenced by Buddhistic thought, and the message of Christ.

Cultivating this inner life of New Thought!"

I have no name for this GOD, only thoughts and feelings.

As you know I am a practicing Buddhist, and Buddha is not considered a God only a man who discovered a path to enlightenment. According to the Buddhas teaching we should not attacking or disavow the religious beliefs of others, in anyway. The reason I ask what God, is because their are so many religious beliefs and depictions of their Gods in mankinds past. Have you ever contemplated why with all the Gods that have come and gone we have the core group of religions / Gods that exist today and the other Gods no longer hold prominence?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

You are here because your mother and father had special cuddles. No there's no reason. No more than still birth or a child born into poverty. Things are what they are. 

That's an extraordinarily basic description missing a lot but essentially yes.

No.... I never would have guessed.....

giphy.gif

All gods are made up. Over a thousand in our written history. If you can't find one out of that lot to submit to, you can always make one up. 

Thanks.

Reasons impose themselves and become apparent with time. I have lots off reasons to get up every day. You have now seen my bundle of joy, I also have my children, my motorbike and I actually really like my job. Sights sounds smells, people to meet, places to visit and wonders to gaze upon. This universe and our planet is extraordinary enough to provide a lifetime of wonder.