Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Are We Here?

Crazy Horse

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Across the board. 

How is this as a lifestyle?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

How is this as a lifestyle?

I'm not Walker and I don't feel like playing 20 questions. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm not Walker and I don't feel like playing 20 questions. 

There is no comparison between you and Walker. 

I am actually interested in your experience, but no worries if you are not in the mood.

Just your take away’s, so far. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Just your take away’s, so far. 

I have learned mostly on this forum, that we as a species are not important. We are just meat robots with zero capacity to change ourselves. We exist for no reason, and we die. No different than an insect. Our lives are unimportant in both the long and short run. Nothing we will do shall last. That every form of meaning making is artificial. An illusion or in some cases a delusion. There are no saints, gurus, holy men, etc. Just people who promote their own synthetic meaning upon this universe. There is literally no point to us. We create chaos in our feeble desire to be "important" to have meaning and "purpose". Then again that's just the meat machine programs running. Like many have told me, I have no choice in anything. I don't suffer, I'm just running a subconscious program. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I have learned mostly on this forum, that we as a species are not important. We are just meat robots with zero capacity to change ourselves. We exist for no reason, and we die. No different than an insect. Our lives are unimportant in both the long and short run. Nothing we will do shall last. That every form of meaning making is artificial. An illusion or in some cases a delusion. There are no saints, gurus, holy men, etc. Just people who promote their own synthetic meaning upon this universe. There is literally no point to us. We create chaos in our feeble desire to be "important" to have meaning and "purpose". Then again that's just the meat machine programs running. Like many have told me, I have no choice in anything. I don't suffer, I'm just running a subconscious program. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I think is is cool you see the illusion and delusion and I concur, we do tend to project ourselves, it seems to be part and parcel of being human. 

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think is is cool you see the illusion and delusion and I concur, we do tend to project ourselves, it seems to be part and parcel of being human. 

The main issue I see with the illusion of meaning is that people always make themselves the focal point. They are the center of the universe. In some ways every ideology does this. Be it religious, social, political. To me it is all B.S. 

I know I'm unimportance. I know that everything I do right now will vanish soon after I die. That there is nothing I can take with me. While on one hand this makes my existences feel pointless, meaningless, and quite futile. It also gives me freedom, or the illusion of it. If I decide to go with a compatibilist mindset, the only meaningful things to me are what I do right now, yet all of it is tempered with the knowledge of futility. 

Sure it sounds depressing to outside viewers. I don't have to care about things that are truly unimportant. Basically I have very little to zero F's to give. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The main issue I see with the illusion of meaning is that people always make themselves the focal point. They are the center of the universe. In some ways every ideology does this. Be it religious, social, political. To me it is all B.S. 

I know I'm unimportance. I know that everything I do right now will vanish soon after I die. That there is nothing I can take with me. While on one hand this makes my existences feel pointless, meaningless, and quite futile. It also gives me freedom, or the illusion of it. If I decide to go with a compatibilist mindset, the only meaningful things to me are what I do right now, yet all of it is tempered with the knowledge of futility. 

Sure it sounds depressing to outside viewers. I don't have to care about things that are truly unimportant. Basically I have very little to zero F's to give. 

I thought freedom and liberation seems possible when you see the illusion, in Zen and Buddhism this is moving ego aside. I appreciate you sharing not many face themselves so profoundly. 

I want to hear from one who embraces their humanity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I thought freedom and liberation seems possible when you see the illusion, in Zen and Buddhism this is moving ego aside. I appreciate you sharing not many face themselves so profoundly. 

People are people. That's all you really need to know. You can toss aside a lot by acknowledging and accepting that. All the superficial stuff seems trivial after. 

Old mindset being replaced by a new one, eventually I probably will permanently leave here. As I won't have much to say any longer. It is getting that way now as I'm starting to become disinterested in things more and more. 

In the context of religion, it is just someone's model of reality. Reason I have no real respect for any religion or spiritual ideology. The followers are just trying to mimic the teacher. Trying to see their world from the teachers perspective. Never become a "thing". 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

People are people. That's all you really need to know. You can toss aside a lot by acknowledging and accepting that. All the superficial stuff seems trivial after. 

Old mindset being replaced by a new one, eventually I probably will permanently leave here. As I won't have much to say any longer. It is getting that way now as I'm starting to become disinterested in things more and more. 

In the context of religion, it is just someone's model of reality. Reason I have no real respect for any religion or spiritual ideology. The followers are just trying to mimic the teacher. Trying to see their world from the teachers perspective. Never become a "thing". 

Indeed, eventually one sets aside knowledge and me, myself and I. Are you meditating too? A quote “there is no enlightenment outside of life.” Thich Nhat Hahn. 

Sharing from experience yet, not original or unique. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Merriweather Louis, while on the immense journey of the Corps of Discovery with Clark, recorded this in his journal on his birthday, August 18th, 1814

This day I completed my thirty first year, and conceived that I had in all human probability now existed about half the period which I am to remain in this Sublunary world. I reflected that I had as yet done but little, very little indeed, to further the happiness of the human race, or to advance the information of the succeeding generation. I viewed with regret the many hours I have spent in indolence, and now sorely feel the want of that information which those hours would have given me had they been judiciously expended. but since they are past and cannot be recalled, I dash from me the gloomy thought and resolved in future, to redouble my exertions and at least endeavour to promote those two primary objects of human existence, by giving them the aid of that portion of talents which nature and fortune have bestowed on me; or in future, to live for mankind, as I have heretofore lived for myself.

My, God, this man was the first U.S. citizen to reach the continental divide and the headwaters of the mighty Missouri, would reach the Pacific Ocean as one of the first Americans to do so by land--and travel back again, and he was worried about his legacy! The point of this is that being of an intelligent, communicating species is to choose to make the most of life and existence, not just to live, breed and die. One should embrace one's existence, do the best one can to enjoy life, contribute to society and the greater good as one's talents permit and hold every breath, every sunrise, everyday as precious gifts. The point of life is to live it--and if one can't do that--one might as well be dead. Death is inevitable--but one does not have to rush into it's arms prematurely.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4

The question Why are we here? is naïve and purposeless.

We are here.  Do with it what you will.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, joc said:

Best idea ever.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The main issue I see with the illusion of meaning is that people always make themselves the focal point. They are "the center of the universe."  In some ways every ideology does this. Be it religious, social, political. To me it is all B.S. 

I know I'm unimportance. I know that everything I do right now will vanish soon after I die. That there is nothing I can take with me. While on one hand this makes my existences feel pointless, meaningless, and quite futile. It also gives me  "freedom" ,or the illusion of it. If I decide to go with a compatibilist mindset, the only meaningful things to me are what I do right now, yet all of it is tempered with the knowledge of futility. 

Your remarks here remind me ,somewhat, of some of the Buddhist teachings . ( which I have been trying to learn a little about)

.    They seem to advise against believing that we are " the center of the universe". .or that we take a separate self with us when we 'go'.     It also speaks of the "freedom"..that can be found in these realizations.  Maybe you are more Enlightened than most !? ;).    

Also though..the teachings 'say' change is eternal, and that Everything has an effect on everything else..and Everything is Interconnected..  Our breath connects us to the Air...Our bodies are mostly water...Mother earth holds us with her gravity...  I guess what I'm trying to get at is, maybe some things are important, with or without us?  If one of us stops breathing...does Air become unimportant?   If one star dies do all the stars die?  If we, and all we do is forgotten, is everyone else forgotten with us?   Is all they are, or do, or believe, suddenly pointless and futile? 

....it's one thing to say 'we, are completely unimportant..but then, because of that personal view,  to then say that ALL of us, and Everything, is meaningless ,and pointless, may be stretching the point?

Love,  lightly.    :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

I think we ,and here, is here...because Nothing is impossible.  (as in nothing-ness).     Seriously though ..Think about it.  

15 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I think we are surrounded by meaning, and that it is only an illusion or artificial if we first misinterpret what meaning is.  That's not a knock on @XenoFish, I can't argue with any of his facts all of which I agree with, only with the 'therefores'.  'Nothing we do is going to last forever' doesn't mean that everything is thus futility, that depends on what the goals were.  I've pet and fed my old cat this morning, and she's laying by the window sunning herself and seems content/happy about it.  Taking care of her today is meaningful, not getting why 'but what about eternity?' impacts that meaning at all, or somehow makes it not meaningful.  Plus I've never heard any definition or any possible theoretical reality where things would definitely have meaning, I haven't heard yet why or how if a God exists for example then that provides it any more than my cat care does.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think we are surrounded by meaning, and that it is only an illusion or artificial if we first misinterpret what meaning is.  That's not a knock on @XenoFish, I can't argue with any of his facts all of which I agree with, only with the 'therefores'.  'Nothing we do is going to last forever' doesn't mean that everything is thus futility, that depends on what the goals were.  I've pet and fed my old cat this morning, and she's laying by the window sunning herself and seems content/happy about it.  Taking care of her today is meaningful, not getting why 'but what about eternity?' impacts that meaning at all, or somehow makes it not meaningful.  Plus I've never heard any definition or any possible theoretical reality where things would definitely have meaning, I haven't heard yet why or how if a God exists for example then that provides it any more than my cat care does.

I feed Thomas the cat when he comes around. I do it because I can and because I like to.i know one day he'll stop showing up, till then I'll feed him. One the surface what I write seems deeply negative. At one point it was. Now it is simply acknowledging what is true. That everything ends. We also attach ourselves to meaningless thing that allow us to ignore stuff that might actually matter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Behold, the angler fish... 

398032677_dfab408834_b.jpg

Such an angel... 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I feed Thomas the cat when he comes around. I do it because I can and because I like to.i know one day he'll stop showing up, till then I'll feed him. One the surface what I write seems deeply negative. At one point it was. Now it is simply acknowledging what is true. That everything ends. We also attach ourselves to meaningless thing that allow us to ignore stuff that might actually matter. 

I'm definitely glad to hear you don't see this negatively.  I just think you feeding Thomas the cat was meaningful; the eventual obliteration/heat death of the universe some day doesn't change anything with Thomas, his like of food, and today.  Ha, matter of fact, I've found that cats and most animals can be very insightful as to the impact of eventualities, which seems to be 'who cares, this is now'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, joc said:

Love this. Indeed one just looks at life as an opportunity for something, now. Of course there is a way of life we all share in to some degree, yet, impermanence is a wonderful thing. Just a humble opinion (JAHO).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I'm definitely glad to hear you don't see this negatively.  I just think you feeding Thomas the cat was meaningful; the eventual obliteration/heat death of the universe some day doesn't change anything with Thomas, his like of food, and today.  Ha, matter of fact, I've found that cats and most animals can be very insightful as to the impact of eventualities, which seems to be 'who cares, this is now'.

It's just that the meaningful things in our lives are meaningful to us. Because we give it meaning. Knowing and accepting the temporary nature of everything helps keep me grounded/humble. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, psyche101 said:

New York Post!!!!!!?

Media shill!!!! Brainwashed by right wing sources !!!!   Lies all of it lies!!!!!! Media hypnotism!!!!

No, Joc is correct: 

But on the day that Lot went out of Sodʹom, it rained fire and sulfur from heaven and destroyed them all. Luke 17:29 

In others words, YHWH firebomb the place. Don't shoot the messenger!!

Edited by larryp
the details

On 5/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, joc said:

As long as we are looking at religion:   Let's visit the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.  No rules...except mob rule...no boundaries at all when it came to sexual deviancy.  If they wanted you, they would have you...however they wanted you whenever they wanted you.  The norm was Absolute Freedom.  No rules.  If I see  your daughter on the street...If I want to I  take her right there however I wanted...no rules.  Whatever the current deviant mob wanted to do they would do without consequence.  

Thereafter Sodom and Gomorrah became a proverbial figure of utter destruction from God Almighty!!

Look out side, don't we see a similar atmosphere today. 

Edited by larryp
the details

Why are we here ? Where did we come from ?

I know where we came from, from the evolution of life on the earth, and from the dust of the universe .And still wonder if there is any life on any other planets. Life all most started on Mars. Why are we here ? We must be a experiment in a petri dish of the universe.")

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, Crazy Horse said:

Why are we here, is there even a reason, is there some point or end goal to achieve?

Or are we merely atoms coming together for awhile, infused with life, before going our separate ways?

My view, unsurprisingly, is based upon a spiritual ideal.

Which is - we are here to know, and to Unite with GOD.

And this being the case, I would also ask, how may we attain such a thing?

All genuine points and views are welcome. Atheistic, agnostic, religious or spiritual.

Do you have a reason for living, and if so, how do you intend to realise that?

We are here to get to the other side. It’s like a crash test if we pass it then there is more to it in the right way. If we fail it then I’m sure it’s a bit more complicated on the other side.