Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Crazy Horse

The Impersonal Life

300 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Crazy Horse

This isnt something I have thought about too much, but I figure that we can all learn as we go along....:D

This impersonal life can be summed-up as, being in the world, but not a part of it.

Eg, one doesn't get caught-up in the drama, but responds out of a cool and calm understanding and wisdom.

On the practical level, one may see the world as a film, on a screen. Taking a mental step back.

One may look at the world without taking it personally. and then one may look in wonder and excitement as the world and life unfolds before our very eyes.

And this impersonal life can apply to our thoughts too.

Regarding them as the fleeting clouds moving across the pure skies of Consciousness.

Any thoughts?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
37 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

This isnt something I have thought about too much, but I figure that we can all learn as we go along....:D

This impersonal life can be summed-up as, being in the world, but not a part of it.

Eg, one doesn't get caught-up in the drama, but responds out of a cool and calm understanding and wisdom.

On the practical level, one may see the world as a film, on a screen. Taking a mental step back.

One may look at the world without taking it personally. and then one may look in wonder and excitement as the world and life unfolds before our very eyes.

And this impersonal life can apply to our thoughts too.

Regarding them as the fleeting clouds moving across the pure skies of Consciousness.

Any thoughts?

 

 

F4ADFDD7-C361-4CFB-AECC-C2E2D4D980F2-15954-00001993476447A1.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

 

F4ADFDD7-C361-4CFB-AECC-C2E2D4D980F2-15954-00001993476447A1.jpg

And it takes an open mind to realise.....anything!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse

How would you feel if all of a sudden, this life, this world, meant nothing to you?

It just passed before your eyes as a movie. (Hopefully a good film?).

How would you react?

What would you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Hi Crazy Horse

43 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

How would you feel if all of a sudden, this life, this world, meant nothing to you?

That it meant nothing

44 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

It just passed before your eyes as a movie. (Hopefully a good film?).

How would you react?

as an audience

44 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

What would you do?

get popcorn

jmccr8

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

That it meant nothing

as an audience

get popcorn

jmccr8

Well, if ever there is an emergency.... we'll go elsewhere...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)

It sounds like you're looking for the words apathetic and disassociation. Maybe mindfulness even.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well, if ever there is an emergency.... we'll go elsewhere...:D

There was no emergency listed in the post I replied to 

jmccr8

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

There was no emergency listed in the post I replied to 

jmccr8

That figures..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

That figures..

Hi Crazy Horse

What does, you asked general questions and got general answers?

jmccr8

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

What does, you asked general questions and got general answers?

jmccr8

Apathy...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Hi Crazy Horse

Who's apathy I don't have any?

jmccr8

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
20 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

How would you feel if all of a sudden, this life, this world, meant nothing to you?

It just passed before your eyes as a movie. (Hopefully a good film?).

At some point I think you'd drift too close to the symptoms of disassociative disorders, which are not pleasant.  I guess it depends where you draw the line; part of what you are describing is just aloofness which I think can be healthy.  But the idea of 'the world is just a movie I'm watching' I think can go too far, it can sometimes turn into "I am just a movie I'm watching", which can be more disassociative and potentially disabling.  

I had a thankfully short-lived experience on a school field trip long ago with something like this for instance, it wasn't that fun:

Quote
  • Depersonalization-derealization disorder. This involves an ongoing or episodic sense of detachment or being outside yourself — observing your actions, feelings, thoughts and self from a distance as though watching a movie (depersonalization). Other people and things around you may feel detached and foggy or dreamlike, time may be slowed down or sped up, and the world may seem unreal (derealization). You may experience depersonalization, derealization or both. Symptoms, which can be profoundly distressing, may last only a few moments or come and go over many years.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dissociative-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20355215#:~:text=Dissociative disorders are mental disorders,with functioning in everyday life.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Walker
On 3/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, Crazy Horse said:

This isnt something I have thought about too much, but I figure that we can all learn as we go along....:D

This impersonal life can be summed-up as, being in the world, but not a part of it.

Eg, one doesn't get caught-up in the drama, but responds out of a cool and calm understanding and wisdom.

On the practical level, one may see the world as a film, on a screen. Taking a mental step back.

One may look at the world without taking it personally. and then one may look in wonder and excitement as the world and life unfolds before our very eyes.

And this impersonal life can apply to our thoughts too.

Regarding them as the fleeting clouds moving across the pure skies of Consciousness.

Any thoughts?

 

Basically that is  how I live my life, but not dogmatically

ie I can, not take the world personally, yet still enjoy the wonder and excitement of life.

As a child I was taught how  to take a "step out of time"  and view any event in my life as if it had happened "a million years ago"

That helped me put my life into proportion and reduce the personal angst and anxieties many children feel in their day to day lives 

It is important how we think, act, and behave, but its not so critical that  we should have a panic attack about anything in our lives, or worry needlessly about always doing the right thing  and getting everything right, every time.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, Crazy Horse said:

This isnt something I have thought about too much, but I figure that we can all learn as we go along....:D

This impersonal life can be summed-up as, being in the world, but not a part of it.

Eg, one doesn't get caught-up in the drama, but responds out of a cool and calm understanding and wisdom.

On the practical level, one may see the world as a film, on a screen. Taking a mental step back.

One may look at the world without taking it personally. and then one may look in wonder and excitement as the world and life unfolds before our very eyes.

And this impersonal life can apply to our thoughts too.

Regarding them as the fleeting clouds moving across the pure skies of Consciousness.

Any thoughts?

 

Here is an alternative to the Impersonal Life. Here are a couple of songs one by John Lennon and another by a band call Train. The song by Train was written from a dream the lead singer had shortly after the death of his mother.

For you my friend something to contemplate during your search.:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
20 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

At some point I think you'd drift too close to the symptoms of disassociative disorders, which are not pleasant.  I guess it depends where you draw the line; part of what you are describing is just aloofness which I think can be healthy.  But the idea of 'the world is just a movie I'm watching' I think can go too far, it can sometimes turn into "I am just a movie I'm watching", which can be more disassociative and potentially disabling.  

I had a thankfully short-lived experience on a school field trip long ago with something like this for instance, it wasn't that fun:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dissociative-disorders/symptoms-causes/syc-20355215#:~:text=Dissociative disorders are mental disorders,with functioning in everyday life.

Who's to say they are unpleasant but the individual?

And this idea that one may come to see themselves as just a movie too, I don't get.

The experience that I have had, one becomes more aware, more awake, less attached, more centred...

It was neither disconcerting nor exhilarating. it was kind of cool and interesting, and actually quite beautiful too.

Granted, this experience just occurring "out-of-the-blue" maybe disconcerting for some, but that is only more reason to explore theses ideas first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Basically that is  how I live my life, but not dogmatically

ie I can, not take the world personally, yet still enjoy the wonder and excitement of life.

As a child I was taught how  to take a "step out of time"  and view any event in my life as if it had happened "a million years ago"

That helped me put my life into proportion and reduce the personal angst and anxieties many children feel in their day to day lives 

It is important how we think, act, and behave, but its not so critical that  we should have a panic attack about anything in our lives, or worry needlessly about always doing the right thing  and getting everything right, every time.  

Yes.

I would say that this impersonal way of living, means that one would feel less the need to be perfect, to have to worry about getting everything right etc..

I used to think of an invisible "me", standing just in front of myself, who would take any abuse. Meanwhile I would take a mental step backwards, and just be. Much like your "step out of time" practice.

There is also the non-attachment element.

I have thoughts, feelings and notions about life. I make an experiment in the moment, not minding the out-come so much, just noticing the feelings that arise.

My heart is my guide, my path, my destiny and my Home.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is an alternative to the Impersonal Life. Here are a couple of songs one by John Lennon and another by a band call Train. The song by Train was written from a dream the lead singer had shortly after the death of his mother.

For you my friend something to contemplate during your search.:tu:

Thank you..

I knew that Train song but I didn't know the back story, and its quite beautiful.

In fact, two songs straight from the heart, speaking their truths, makes for a powerful cocktail of emotions.

And so, the question becomes, where are emotions and feelings placed within this non-attached, impersonal life?

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
7 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Thank you..

I knew that Train song but I didn't know the back story, and its quite beautiful.

In fact, two songs straight from the heart, speaking their truths, makes for a powerful cocktail of emotions.

And so, the question becomes, where are emotions and feelings placed within this non-attached, impersonal life?

 

 

In days past it was believed that ones soul resided in the human heart, maybe they were on to more than we know. I am glad you liked the music, I was going through one of my play lists today listening to music. I had these two songs arranged back to back and it reminded me of this thread so I thought I would add them.

Not sure if you are familiar with John Lennon, but for me he is one of my favorite artists of all time. At least to me his music is very unique with respect to his out look on the world and life in general. Here are two more songs that I feel touch on this subject, hope you don't mind me adding them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

In days past it was believed that ones soul resided in the human heart, maybe they were on to more than we know. I am glad you liked the music, I was going through one of my play lists today listening to music. I had these two songs arranged back to back and it reminded me of this thread so I thought I would add them.

Not sure if you are familiar with John Lennon, but for me he is one of my favorite artists of all time. At least to me his music is very unique with respect to his out look on the world and life in general. Here are two more songs that I feel touch on this subject, hope you don't mind me adding them.

 

 

It must have been exhausting being John Lennon lol..

I don't mind at all, in fact they fit rather well, but I do have another ex-Beatle song that for me, really grasps the spirit, as it were.

Happy full moon day btw..

Do you guys in Korea do anything special for the full moon? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse

Here's an eye-opener for anyone who wants to know the truth...

I never heard a living soul talk like this before.

Enjoy, if that's the right word?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

It must have been exhausting being John Lennon lol..

I don't mind at all, in fact they fit rather well, but I do have another ex-Beatle song that for me, really grasps the spirit, as it were.

Happy full moon day btw..

Do you guys in Korea do anything special for the full moon? 

I am very familiar with George Harrison, and that song. George started practicing Eastern Spirtualism as faith in the late 60s, and continued too until his tragic death. George is another one favorite artists and he incorporated Indian musical instruments into his music mainly the Sitar. He was also a very spiritual man like John lennon. In my opinion the two of them are what made the Beatles as special as they became. Here in Korea we don't do anything special during most full moons, only during the Harvest Moon in October.

Take Care my friend

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am very familiar with George Harrison, and that song. George started practicing Eastern Spirtualism as faith in the late 60s, and continued too until his tragic death. George is another one favorite artists and he incorporated Indian musical instruments into his music mainly the Sitar. He was also a very spiritual man like John lennon. In my opinion the two of them are what made the Beatles as special as they became. Here in Korea we don't do anything special during most full moons, only during the Harvest Moon in October.

Take Care my friend


Thank you:wub:

And, John Lennon is one of my fave artists. 
 

https://youtu.be/pZCxyOcvp5A

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sherapy said:


Thank you:wub:

And, John Lennon is one of my fave artists. 
 

https://youtu.be/pZCxyOcvp5A

Your are always very welcome my sister, and hope this finds you and your entire family safe, happy and in wonder Health. The contributions you make everyday in your chosen profession ( healthcare ) with all that going on makes you a true hero in my books. I would also bet that you deal with a great deal of sadness and stress, but you always have a wonderful outlook when you post here, so I would bet you bring happiness to so many doing what you.:tu:  

For some reason your link didn't post the video you were trying to post so I reposted it here for you.

Take Care

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Your are always very welcome my sister, and hope this finds you and your entire family safe, happy and in wonder Health. The contributions you make everyday in your chosen profession ( healthcare ) with all that going on makes you a true hero in my books. I would also bet that you deal with a great deal of sadness and stress, but you always have a wonderful outlook when you post here, so I would bet you bring happiness to so many doing what you.:tu:  

For some reason your link didn't post the video you were trying to post so I reposted it here for you.

Take Care

I do love my work and my mission is to bring loving kindness, empathy and compassion where it’s needed and when I don’t I am with those that point out a better way.
 

Thank you for your kind words. Much gratitude. 
 

Thanks for posting the video for me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.