Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genetics of psychic ability - A pilot case-control exome sequencing study

rashore

Introduction

It is commonly believed that psychic ability, like many mental and physical traits, runs in families. This suggests the presence of a genetic component. If such a component were found, it would constitute a biological marker of psychic ability and inform environmental or pharmacologic means of enhancing or suppressing this ability.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550830721000501

• Like 2

The propensity to indulge in self delusions is really just a family/societal fostered malady than hereditary.

• Like 4

A website with 'science' in its title - we have to take it seriously, right?

Let's take a look at some of the other material they apply their scientific skill to:

• Effects of the local and geocosmic environment on the efficacy of Energy Medicine treatments: An exploratory study.
  • A computer-automated, multi-center, multi-blinded, randomized control trial evaluating hypothesized spirit presence and communication.
  • Perceptual phenomena associated with spontaneous experiences of after-death communication: Analysis of visual, tactile, auditory and olfactory sensations.

It all looks very grand and clever - until you actually think about the words.  Take the first line from the featured article: "It is commonly believed that psychic ability runs in families."  No question or doubt about the nature or even existence of 'psychic ability'.  'Commonly believed' - by whom?  Only by the handful of people who still buy into this woo.  And for the 'study' they analysed the DNA of a dozen people who claimed to be psychic.  There was no attempt to measure the skills of these volunteers - they were just taken at their word. 

What a mound of maggoty, malodorous manure.

• Like 3

I believe in psychic abilities and a likely genetic component. Some people's brains are a little bit different allowing more input from the psychic senses in the astral and etheric bodies to reach the attention of the conscious waking mind. This seems to be more the case in what has been called 'right-brain dominant' types.

Normally our waking consciousness is tightly gripped to the five physical senses only.

• Like 1

First you have to prove that "psychic abilities" exist and what they consist of.

THEN you can do genetic tests.

For example, the genes for scrying would be different than those for levitating objects.

• Like 5

On 3/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, Tom1200 said:

A website with 'science' in its title - we have to take it seriously, right?

None of the authors are actual geneticists and most aren't even academics or scientists. One happens to be Dean Radin.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dean_Radin

'ScienceDirect' is exactly like 'Academia'. Any smoe can submit woo articles. None which aren't peer reviewed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Psych(ot)ic Abilities. They always leave the o-t out.:yes:

• Haha 3

On 3/26/2021 at 10:49 PM, rashore said:

I suspect there are two elements to this 

yep genetics probably plays a part .

But also nurture and family play  a role 

ie kids with natural/genetic  talents in any field  can either be encouraged or discouraged in expressing them, by how a family responds. 

My mother had strong psychic abilities,  but  I never knew this until I was about 50 

In the meantime I had discovered my own  natural talents which were similar in some ways to my mother's, but diverged in others  

It was never spoken of as a child, and was never encouraged, or made a fuss over ,  but it was never mocked, or  ridiculed, either.  

ie as in all things, I was made to feel loved supported, and part of my family.  It wouldn't have mattered if  I had been gay, or if I was the messiah :)   I was loved for who I was and encouraged to explore and improve ALL of my potentials and talents .

It worries me sometimes, how some posters here would react if a child of theirs began demonstrating real psychic abilities in childhood.

Would the y encourage/tolerate/ support  those abilities,  or seek to crush or "cure" them, to make sure their child remained "normal" ? 

ps the brief overview left a lot of questions unanswered and it allowed that further controlled studies were required 

However the findings were quite marked (and thus thought provoking)  in the following area.

However, a difference was observed in the intron (i.e., non-protein-coding region) adjacent to an exon in the TNRC18 gene (Trinucleotide Repeat-Containing Gene 18 Protein) on chromosome 7. This variation, an alteration of GG to GA, was found in 7 of 9 controls and was absent from all psychic cases.

Science WILL follow up on this, now that genetic   interpretation   has become quite easy and cheap 

Edited by Mr Walker

On 3/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, Bendy Demon said:

The propensity to indulge in self delusions is really just a family/societal fostered malady than hereditary.

Perhaps you are right.

Or perhaps the propensity to indulge in self delusions is really just about your likening and whatever societal/ideological paradigm fostered illness is thriving, in contrast to a half-century of continuous studies and government-sponsored projects from elsewhere various developped countries and military powers across the globe; whose contributors does all seems to be sharing a much better scientific openness about what seems for others but "magical" ideation and telepathic forms of mass hysteria, quite ironically.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 12:42 AM, Piney said:

None of the authors are actual geneticists and most aren't even academics or scientists. One happens to be Dean Radin.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dean_Radin

'ScienceDirect' is exactly like 'Academia'. Any smoe can submit woo articles. None which aren't peer reviewed. 

Here is a very good Acedemic Paper on the subject, that answers questions on the cause and effect of why people believe in Psychic Abilities.

Belief in psychic ability and the misattribution hypothesis: A qualitative review 

https://www.sgha.net/library/review01.pdf