Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans could evolve to become venomous

Eldorado

Humans could evolve to become venomous like snakes and spiders, after a study found we have the same “genetic foundation”.

Scientists have found the genetic building blocks needed for oral venom to evolve are present in both reptiles and mammals, and said their study showed the first concrete evidence of a link between venom glands in snakes and salivary glands in mammals.

In fact, they say the two are so similar that saliva glands could be “repurposed” if the environment changed, meaning mammals such as mice – which already have some toxins in their spit – could develop venom.

Full monty from the UK Telegraph via MSN: Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Some would say that many of us are already 'orally venomous' . . . . . . . . . in our speech to one another. :unsure2:

• Like 7

Evolutionarily speaking, it would make sense, but to say it's a phenomenally huge stretch is an understatement 

We can already see the evolution of humankind, even at a micro level, as the advent of technology has decreased the need for things such as muscle mass and increased the need for higher intelligence. This is why, in a way, the model of a gray alien is probably much in line with how humans may begin to look in another however long ass period of time

In the absence of muscle mass, it would indeed make sense that we'd evolve some other sort of defense mechanism, but I highly doubt venom would be that mechanism. Who is to say that we would develop any sort of defense at all, but rather evolve things like better sight; maybe our eyes will begin to migrate to the sides of our heads to give better peripheral vision? Such as the case with many animals vulnerable to predators. Considering the very small number of other mammals that have evolved venom glands, I doubt humans will ever be amongst them

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Some would say that many of us are already 'orally venomous' . . . . . . . . . in our speech to one another. :unsure2:

I certainly foresee the evolution of smartassedness 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

450.jpg

Lol maybe not out the realm of possibility, but I think evolution of technology will far surpass our physiology. We won't need any physiological advancement as one's environment wouldn't necessitate such an evolution 

• Like 2

We have no predators to defend from nor prey we must quickly kill. If it didn't by now it probably never will develop.

Edited by qunaquna
  • Like 1

Our saliva/mouths are already a bacteria factory. Human bites are technically more likely to become infected than dog or cat bites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Humans could one day evolve venom glands? Guys, please be more serious with your articles. Did you really mean mothers in law are not human?

Edited by josellama2000
  • Haha 2

Could evolve? You never met my Ex.:(

• Haha 2

Maybe we could grow wings! And....? What is the point of these sort of articles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/2/2021 at 2:43 AM, Nnicolette said:

Maybe we could grow wings! And....? What is the point of these sort of articles?

Someone was bored, and said I wonder if....An exercise in possibilities? I call them brain farts. Cause everyone looks at you strangely when you express it. On line is safer, I guess.

On 4/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, Seti42 said:

Our saliva/mouths are already a bacteria factory. Human bites are technically more likely to become infected than dog or cat bites.

Yep... first thing I thought of.  I had a cousin who got into a fist fight with his brother-in-law and the b-i-l hit him in the mouth and scraped his knuckles on a tooth.  He nearly lost his hand to the infection.

• 1 month later...

Yeah and frogs may get wings too. Who dreams up this BS?