Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man sets world record for holding his breath underwater

Still Waters

Budimir Buda Šobat, a 54-year-old man from Croatia, managed to set a new world record for the longest time breath held underwater, after spending 24 minutes and 33 seconds underwater without coming up for air.

The incredible feat was achieved in a swimming pool, in the town of Sisak, under the supervision of doctors, reporters and supporters, and saw the 54-year-old diver push his body to the limit. After spending a few minutes hyperventilating on pure oxygen, to increase body oxygenation, Šobat spent close to half an hour face down in the pool, without coming up for air. It sounds like an impossible achievement for a mere mortal, but for the Croatian daredevil it’s the crowning achievement of years of training and conditioning.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/54-year-old-man-holds-his-breath-for-over-24-minutes-sets-new-world-record.html

• Like 7

Hmm..most people can hold their breath for 2 too 3 min but holding your breath for longer than 5 min can lead to permanent brain damage. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Hmm..most people can hold their breath for 2 too 3 min but holding your breath for longer than 5 min can lead to permanent brain damage. 

Yes, but he's from Croatia. We've got no brains... that could be damaged... at least not further damaged :D 

Kidding. 

Congratulations to Buda (diver's nickname, had nothing to do with Buddha, by the way) and I think it's admirable that he's helping fundraising for children of Sisak (his hometown struck by earthquake recently). 

I can't hold my tongue, let alone my breath for 2 minutes... so 23 is just... unbelievable.  

• Like 5

On 3/30/2021 at 12:59 PM, Still Waters said:

Budimir Buda Šobat, a 54-year-old man from Croatia, managed to set a new world record for the longest time breath held underwater, after spending 24 minutes and 33 seconds underwater without coming up for air.

The incredible feat was achieved in a swimming pool, in the town of Sisak, under the supervision of doctors, reporters and supporters, and saw the 54-year-old diver push his body to the limit. After spending a few minutes hyperventilating on pure oxygen, to increase body oxygenation, Šobat spent close to half an hour face down in the pool, without coming up for air. It sounds like an impossible achievement for a mere mortal, but for the Croatian daredevil it’s the crowning achievement of years of training and conditioning.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/54-year-old-man-holds-his-breath-for-over-24-minutes-sets-new-world-record.html

When I was younger I couldn`t understand how native divers around the pacific could spend 5 to 10 minutes underwater without breathing.

Then I found out what they were doing and its easy. Before they dive they hyper-ventilate themselves for 15 minutes to maximise their blood oxygen levels. All this guy has done is taken it further by using pure oxygen.

If anybody follows the anti-aging research then this is also relevant to that. Here is where they are up too:

Hypoxia Contradiction: When our oxygen levels drop cells suicide themselves to free up oxygen for the rest of the organism. The aim being to try and keep it alive when oxygen levels are low. Brain cells are very susceptible to this which is why they start dying after 3 minutes of no oxygen and why someone is effectively brain dead after 15 minutes of no oxygen. But the contradiction is that high oxygen levels also active our hypoxia genes. Scientists earlier this year found out they could use that contradiction to clear our senescent cells (old cells) from human beings. They put old people into oxygen pressure chambers for an hour each day and over a course of 3 months their senescent cells were gone.

One could theorise that intentional hyper-ventilation would have the same effect!!!!

This isn`t an anti-aging thread but if anybody is interested I have already posted this stuff into the science section.

33 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, but he's from Croatia. We've got no brains... that could be damaged... at least not further damaged :D 

Kidding. 

Congratulations to Buda (diver's nickname, had nothing to do with Buddha, by the way) and I think it's admirable that he's helping fundraising for children of Sisak (his hometown struck by earthquake recently). 

I can't hold my tongue, let alone my breath for 2 minutes... so 23 is just... unbelievable.  

Dont hold your breath :) but I cant hold my breath longer than 2 min and I don't have a brain or it's very small :)

• Haha 1

Impressive but hum... he used a bottle for last breath in the pool. Probably of hyper rich Oxygen concentration. Looks like cheating.

Edited by Jon the frog

29 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Dont hold your breath :) but I cant hold my breath longer than 2 min and I don't have a brain or it's very small :)

Not having a brain is quite practical.

It's customary over here to console someone who just hit their head, or was hit in their head, with saying: "Fortunately, it was only a blow to your head, no vital organs to be worried about there." :D   

• Haha 2

Before I read the article I assumed this was just a dude puffing his cheeks out and breathing through his nose while a bunch of gullible people stood around amazed. 

• Haha 3