Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did a werewolf terrorize Camberwell cemetery, London?

Eldorado

Local researcher Andy McGrath told reporters that he developed a personal fascination with the "Werewolf of Camberwell."

When looking for more information on the alleged cryptid, he found the accounts from 1996 and 2004, which he said: "sound like something for fantasists and horror fans."

He explained the two sightings, highlighting their remarkable similarities.

"On October 9th, 1996, a man en route to see a friend, had decided to take a shortcut through Camberwell Old Cemetery to save time, when something prodigiously strong grabbed him by the arm and smashed him into the ground," said 44-year-old McGrath.

Full story at Pop Culture: Link

Beasts of Britain at Tumblr: Link

Camberwell Old Cemetery: Wikipedia

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

I saw Lon Chaney Jr walking with the Queen

doin' the Werewolves of Camberwell . . . 

Doesn't quite work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Local researcher Andy McGrath told reporters that he developed a personal fascination with the "Werewolf of Camberwell."

When looking for more information on the alleged cryptid, he found the accounts from 1996 and 2004, which he said: "sound like something for fantasists and horror fans."

He explained the two sightings, highlighting their remarkable similarities.

"On October 9th, 1996, a man en route to see a friend, had decided to take a shortcut through Camberwell Old Cemetery to save time, when something prodigiously strong grabbed him by the arm and smashed him into the ground," said 44-year-old McGrath.

In my understanding of reality these many competent witnesses of werewolves/dogmen/shapeshifters/whatever has me believing in the likelihood of such strange phenomena. I was also struck by the testimony of people involved in the 'Beast of Brey Road' case here in America.

Papameter Reading   (on Camberwall Cemetery)

Paranormal   60%      All Normal  40%

Papameter Reading  (on the existence of such creatures werewolves/dogmen/shapeshifters/whatever)

Paranormal 90%     All Normal   10%

Got to love this universe!!

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

In my understanding of reality these many competent witnesses of werewolves/dogmen/shapeshifters/whatever has me believing in the likelihood of such strange phenomena. I was also struck by the testimony of people involved in the 'Beast of Brey Road' case here in America.

Papameter Reading  (on the existence of such creatures werewolves/dogmen/shapeshifters/whatever)

I know we are not excepted as part of society do to misconceptions and man's fear of the unknown.

:devil:

• Like 1

It would have been nice if he demonstrated injuries sustained from being slammed to the ground. 

Interesting account, not enough evidence to draw a conclusion, IMO

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
typo
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

It would have been nice if he demonstrated injuries sustained from being slammed to the ground. 

Interesting account, not enough evidence to draw a conclusion, IMO

Very interesting, allow me to ask your opinion on something.

Lets say a fellow over 200lbs is picked upside down and slammed across a room into a wall,

Do you see any way he could not be injured?

• Like 3

I just think the phrase " if it's possible, then it's probable somewhere else" applies here. If some one says one in a million chance, and there's trillions of world's in our universe alone, nevermind dimensions, and multiverses, the odds are pretty good. If dimensions overlap, that increases the odds, does it not?

Disclaimer; I am not saying they are real here. But elsewhere? *Shrugs*

Could duality fit in here? Puff puff pass. :ph34r:

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Puff puff pass

Is that a cheech and chong catch phase? Might explain a lot.

So a werewolf hangs at a graveyard, if a person goes from skeptic to believer from a couple stories then they were a believer all along and claimed to be skeptic to add a touch of flare , drama and significance.

In most cases i do not jump to it being made up BS  i do not believe stories come out of thin air, there is a trigger but prosaic not otherworldly,

In these cases it very well could be a dog or wolf, and i do not know if they have deer there but one night i was out tuning the trike, it was about 2am weekday so this area is just really dead, i was making a large circle ride about 7 miles total through woods and i was pulling over to make engine adjustments, i had a special light on the engine.

At one point i was putzing with the dizzy im a bit OCD and had to reset the timing, when i turned the engine over it popped a bit loud and a deer that i guess was coming down the treeline was startled, the only light i had was fixed on the trike so it wasnt very well lit but i saw it fairly well to know it wasnt deer-squatch

This crazy deer rears up on its back legs and does a hopping walk at least ten feet before hitting a spot it was happy in sink into the tree line, it only took seconds, up like that the lil deer looked big and even though i knew it was a deer it was a bit unnerving, and up like that its head did have a K9-ish look and it seemed to be shrieking.

So i dont buy into lon cheney jr or mike agrusa were running a muck i do believe the witnesses saw something that they didnt recognize.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Theoretically such creatures may exist in the Universe, but unfortunately not on this planet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Theoretically such creatures may exist in the Universe, but unfortunately not on this planet.

If i understand it for a lot or most things we call paranormal, make believe, etc to exist anywhere then physics as we now know it would have to be different and change, is that likely? I dont know.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

It was Mick Jagger! :D

K richards is scarier

• Haha 2

Weird stuff.  I don't understand why something would slam a guy to the ground but then just give him a quick sniff and let him be on his way.  I also don't know of any trees that rock about that much short of a storm without snapping, fracturing or limbs breaking.  These folk obviously never made any money from these stories either so I doubt they are completely false.  Ach well, good stories to get the brain working. 

• Like 1

Description of werewolf sound like  ''Black'' ''Bear''... In London it's a little bit strange tho...

Edited by Jon the frog

Sounds like someone trained martial arts, such as Jiu Jitsu, was involved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sounds like someone trained martial arts, such as Jiu Jitsu, was involved.

I can't understand why you wouldn't just say that a nutter in a grave yard hip tossed me.  Why would you add the other stuff in? The simple story is worrying enough without then making yourself also look like a nutter. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mesuma said:

I can't understand why you wouldn't just say that a nutter in a grave yard hip tossed me.  Why would you add the other stuff in? The simple story is worrying enough without then making yourself also look like a nutter. 

Being grabbed by the arm and tossed on your backside doesn't require superhuman strength. That was what my post was based on. A real werewolf need not be evoked for an explanation.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Being grabbed by the arm and tossed on your backside doesn't require superhuman strength. That was what my post was based on. A real werewolf need not be evoked for an explanation.

That's what I mean.  Why would you not just say that a nutter did it.  I'm not saying it could only be done by a werewolf.  My point is why not just say a guy (nutter) grabbed me in a grave yard and decked me.  I can't understand how adding the werewolf thing made the story more believable or less strange.  It just makes you look mental saying a werewolf did it but, again my brain asks why, if it happened at all, would you add that in.

22 hours ago, mesuma said:

Ive seen on here when it comes to stories of paranormal the teller seldom cares how looney they look because they believe their own stories at least the ones not making it up who want attention,

i was walking home at night and a nut ball knocked me down :sleepy:

I was walking home though an old graveyard and a wolfman threw me to the ground and sniffed my bum...:w00t:

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Ive seen on here when it comes to stories of paranormal the teller seldom cares how looney they look because they believe their own stories at least the ones not making it up who want attention,

i was walking home at night and a nut ball knocked me down :sleepy:

I was walking home though an old graveyard and a wolfman threw me to the ground and sniffed my bum...:w00t:

Well I don't think everyone that has a bizarre story made it up and I don't believe in werewolves.  Maybe it was a fit or a seziure or he tripped and bumped his heed.  That still equates to I think it never happened as he says but I'm not going to dismiss or belittle a guy I've never met. 

Edited by mesuma
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, mesuma said:

Well I don't think everyone that has a bizarre story made it up and I don't believe in werewolves.  Maybe it was a fit or a seziure or he tripped and bumped his heed.  I guess that still equates to it never happened but I'm not going to dismiss or belittle a guy I've never met. 

I will dismiss and in some cases belittle but didnt consider anything i said in this one belittling, afterall he said a werewolf attacked him so i have a pretty wide berth to work with,

Nope, every story isnt made up, some are mistaken, some hoaxed, some mentally ill and some are BSers or charlatans,  then after all those and other prosaic possibilities are ruled out i simply would never on what i have been presented in this case make some leap from "i dont know" to yep, paranormal much be a werewolf.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mesuma said:

Well I don't think everyone that has a bizarre story made it up 

give me an example of a story you feel is not made up & why you think this? if it's ok with you;)