Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revisited Hubble telescope image reveals Veil Nebula in exquisite detail

Grim Reaper 6

The Hubble Space Telescope has revealed the cosmos in stunning detail over its three decades of service. The telescope's view of the Veil Nebula -- a remnant of a supernova -- has gotten a makeover that reveals previously unseen details of the structure. The Veil is 2,100 light-years from Earth in the constellation Cygnus, the Swan. It was the subject of a 2015 Hubble image release, but the new look highlights what the European Space Agency (ESA) described as"the nebula's delicate threads and filaments of ionized gas" in a statement this week.

The changes between the two image versions may seem subtle at first, but the delight is in the details. "The new post-processing methods have further enhanced details of emissions from doubly ionized oxygen (seen here in blues), ionized hydrogen, and ionized nitrogen (seen here in reds)," ESA said.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/revisited-hubble-telescope-image-reveals-veil-nebula-in-exquisite-detail/ar-BB1ff1Jj

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Wow!

Yes my friend it certainly is amazing, out technology is growing so fast that yesterdays science fiction is todays reality!!:tu:

I can't wait to see what the new James Webb instrument has for us, if they ever get it up, and then new instruments. Exciting times ahead, woohoo! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

I can't wait to see what the new James Webb instrument has for us, if they ever get it up, and then new instruments. Exciting times ahead, woohoo! 

I think we are in trouble Houston, because James Webb can no longer get it up!!!!:w00t::D

But their are certainly exciting times ahead even without James Webb, no doubt about that!!:tu:

• Like 1