Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Astronaut saw a 'snake' floating in space

Eldorado

On 4/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, mesuma said:

Weird. He obviously wouldn't know what every piece of rocket machinery looks like but also how would you not know if something looked, well not alive but at least organic.

Agreed, not that that would matter in the long run. It's all about the timing, IMO. That's the real issue I have. 

And "alive or organic" - well, we can[t be sure if the astronaut used "snake" as a metaphor or not. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 8:14 PM, Timothy said:

@Earl.Of.Trumps no one has suggested that it was the exact same piece of space junk seen twice, you’re the only one who has suggested that.

You’re hung up on that point for some odd reason.

I realize that, thank you. 

On 4/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, Dejarma said:

yep, another 'expert' speaks out;) oh joy

I forgot that there is a Cabal in here that doesn't allow people to speak unless they are experts... experts that agree with THEM.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 5:21 AM, taserface said:

Only an untrained moron could mistake a free-floating rubber band with a living creature.

Well, he did suggest that the so-called snake could have been an engine gasket, so... not so much "living"

On 4/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Nnicolette said:

Great that everyone can quickly call this most accomplished astronaut stupid and assume it was a hose,

good catch, Nnicolette, he happens to be the most credentialed astronaut ever. Very brilliant man. Besides being a medical doctor, he has may other degrees.

"Musgrave received a B.S. in mathematics and statistics from Syracuse University in 1958. He went on to receive an M.B.A. in operations analysis and computer programming from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1959, a B.A. in chemistry from Marietta College in 1960, an M.D. degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1964, an M.S. in physiology and biophysics from the University of Kentucky in 1966, and a M.A. in literature from the University of Houston–Clear Lake in 1987." ---- wiki

Also, 
He is a public speaker[2] and consultant to both Disney's Imagineering group and Applied Minds in California. In 1996 he became only the second astronaut to fly on six spaceflights, and he is the most formally educated astronaut with six academic degrees. Musgrave is the only astronaut to fly aboard all five Space Shuttles.

Very brilliant man, and he was THERE, but... he is no intellectual match for the bolderdash bullies in here. :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I forgot that there is a Cabal in here that doesn't allow people to speak unless they are experts... experts that agree with THEM.

how could you forget? 

• Like 1

Wow, from what I'm reading it seems that if you're an astronaut of you have enough "credentials"  then you can can't be wrong or mistaken. Certainly not prone to exaggeration or any such associated behavior. Anyway, he was taken out of context and he never claimed that the "snake " was a living organism or a UFO in the terms of an extraterrestrial craft. He simply stated what he saw exhibited what could be described as those characteristics.  This  interview with Omni provides clarification to what he actually said and meant;

http://www.jamesoberg.com/musgrave.story_interviews.pdf

So yeah, the speculations of others aren't really necessary when looking at the actual statements made.

Oh and as far as the "Space Jelly", that has in fact been investigated and explained;

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2019/11/star-jelly-mysterious-phenomenon-that.htm

Edited by Trelane

Trelane beat me to it.. here's the ACTUAL relevant bit from Musgrave's interview, at http://www.omnimag.com/archives/interviews/musgrave.html:

OMNI: What inexplicable things have you seen out there?

Musgrave: You see satellites. I've seen Mir go by within 28 miles; other satellites and you don't know what they are, but maybe just space debris. All kinds of debris come off space ships, especially at the back end after the main engines shut down and you open the doors: ice chips, oxygen or hydrogen, stuff dumped from the engines. On two flights I've seen and photographed what I call "the snake," like a seven-foot eel swimming out there. It may be an uncritical rubber seal from the main engines. In zero g it's totally free to maneuver, and it has its own internal waves like it's swimming. All this debris is white, reflecting sunlight, or you don't see it. Cruising along with you at your velocity, it's still got its own rotation. At zero g, things have an incredible freedom. It's an extraordinary ballet.

OMNI: Could there be a{n alien} space ship in our galaxy?

Musgrave: Sure. I think there's spaceflight going on in our 100 billion stars. And if they were in our solar system they'd be contacting us.

I think he made it very clear, he doesn't think it was anything alien.  And yes, there are indeed 'uncritical seals' that may become unattached, eg from stage separations..

Talk about a beat-up...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Agreed, not that that would matter in the long run. It's all about the timing, IMO. That's the real issue I have. 

And "alive or organic" - well, we can[t be sure if the astronaut used "snake" as a metaphor or not. 

The problem is that things move differently with no gravity. I imagine a rubber seal might come to life.  It would be good if there were visual recordings of similar instances in space. Of debris obviously. 

On 4/5/2021 at 3:57 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

and by a miracle of god, there is this "space junk" to greet it 
going in the exact same vector (3D direction) at the exact same rate of speed. You buying that, moonman...?

Yes, he should buy that, as debris that comes off a spacecraft is at that moment traveling at exactly the same velocity and continues with it, nearby..  Did you think all the wind up dere in space blows it backwards...?

Try thinking about it...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If the 'Cabal' is 100% right... then it's probably all for the best...  But how are they stopping you speaking?

BTW, don't you think it sounds a bit silly that a group is conspiring, as distinct from a number of individuals simply telling you that you are wrong?

I also find it amusing that Earl and nNicolette lambast Musgrave for saying it might be a seal of some kind, but then say he's an expert on other things.  And all the while the quote shows clearly that he thought the snake-like object was something off the spacecraft - again, here's what he said:

On two flights I've seen and photographed what I call "the snake," like a seven-foot eel swimming out there. It may be an uncritical rubber seal from the main engines. In zero g it's totally free to maneuver, and it has its own internal waves like it's swimming. All this debris is white, reflecting sunlight, or you don't see it. Cruising along with you at your velocity, it's still got its own rotation. At zero g, things have an incredible freedom. It's an extraordinary ballet.

In future, READ what was actually said..

Edited by ChrLzs

22 hours ago, mesuma said:

The problem is that things move differently with no gravity. I imagine a rubber seal might come to life.  It would be good if there were visual recordings of similar instances in space. Of debris obviously. 

Sure, we agree on that.

No telling what it was but it sure made a lasting impression on him. Of course, he saw it twice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

In future, READ what was actually said..

In the future, don't waste the pixels responding to me.

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

In the future, don't waste the pixels responding to me.

In future, try to realise that if you post on a public discussion forum, you're not just talking to me and you can expect your errors to be corrected by me and others...

It's not rocket science.       Oh wait, yes, this one is.